1993 2.0E - Hesitation when cold - TimOrridge
Hi BR's

Just a quick one, over the past few weeks I have notced when satrting in the morning my car is a bit hesitant to accelarate from a standstill. It moves ok but it is like a slight misfire. This only lasts for about 20-30 secs and after that it is fine all day. Is this something electrical (HT Leads or plugs)?

TIA

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/06/2008 at 13:20

2.0E - Hesitation when cold - bell boy
i was thinking about this one the other day when somebody was thinking of buying one of these and it reminded me that when they were a lot newer they used to catch fire under the bonnet quite frequently ,even a friends did ,it then came to me that they have a bonded rubber between the carb and manifold,if this splits it could cause a backfire and fire and could cause misfires as well
i could be wrong i could be right-------- public image
2.0E - Hesitation when cold - Screwloose
Tim

It could be those metal HT lead ends - they were a pain on some cars.

bb

It's an E; injection.
2.0E - Hesitation when cold - TimOrridge
Yes it has metal ht lead ends, screwloose

Are the just a problem in them selves and changing the leads wont make any difference or will changing help?
Tim

Depends on how many sets it's had over the years. If they are still the wire-cored original ones, then you can fit new metal ends.

If they are now carbon-string cored, then you'll need new leads.
Hi,

Sorry for dragging this thread up again, but this porblem went for at least 6 months and it back again, ahhhhh.

Riight this only happens when cold (left for shift at work or overnight). It even is happening on these hot days which im suprised as it did it last winter.

When starting, setting off now results in severe misfiring for 10 seconds i.e, no power even with pedal to metal. Then you get what sounds like a backfire from the exhaust and then it pick up and is no problem after that day.

It has had a new set of plugs earlier in year but has made no difference, I dnt wantn to spend any more money until I have done some more fault finding

Any ideas?

Screwloose - how do I check these HT leads for type
Tim

Uncrew one of those metal plug caps; you'll see the strands of copper. Still sounds like they're the most likely cause.
Ive just had a quick look, and taking the ht lead off plug side shows a blue cap at very innard? Do you mean actuallt taking the metal cap off the rubber lead?

Checked GSF as theres one round corner and they are selling them for 29.40 +VAT so not too bad if it cones to that

Hi,

I have found some HT leads on ebay which fit my car with the metal ends. They are made by Quantum/Hella (VW's own brand i believe). Ive bought them as they were reasonable priced 14.99 +VAT so il see how that goes. I guess it wont do any harm changing them as the current leads are starting to perish along their length and Ive got some sapre cash left from my MOT money pot and ive got the feeling that they are the originals.

I will report back how it goes

Thanks to all, espically Screwloose
OK, I fitted the new leads. And well it has got worse or apperared to have (but now in reverse order). Tested last night and ran OK from startup for 2 miles, turned back and and then it started, hestitating and then a bubbbing misfire al way home, had to hang on to low gears to maintain monuntum.

Worse this morning, started fine agin two miles, then it happened agin but much severe. No power (with acc pedal depressed) just bubbing. Turned engine off as it was shaking all car (less then 500 revs). Five minutes passed same result. So I tried just putting the old coil to dizzy lead back. It started OK, and ran for 500 yards then problems again. No stopping this time, just a reluctance to rev over 2000 rpm, so managed to get car back home (just)

I say I dont want to spend more money, so I enquired about a code read (cheapest was £40) so should I pay that or spend £40 on parts or could you advise next step?

My thoughts were,

relays under dash
rubber hose to inlet manifold from air box
ISV
Injectors

It has had new plugs and leads recently and a new dizzy two years ago (another fault, fauly hall sendor)

Can any one help please?
A little more back ground to this fault

This morning started fine, let tick over for 10-15 seconds then set off. Drove no moe that 1km and cut out to tick over, engine producing no revs when pedal pressed. Tickover very rough, hunting between 500-750 rpm. Popping noise coming from air filter area. A combination of starting and stopping finnaly got rid of the problem and it drove the 3 miles home with out missing a beat even give it a bit of toe and it was very smooth. It appears the problem gos the more the temp rises but strangely started ok when clot cold. Its like that in between point

Would fault codes help?