SPEED Trap locator, portable type - paul2007
Hello, with so many speed cams and new ones going up on a daily basis, and ones that don't flash and higher up than the standard square ones that operate from the rear i think and catch people jumping red lights or speeding.

I have a new-ish Tomtom sat nav but not bothered down loading cam info and do not want to regularly set it up just below the radio but can't leave it there even covered as criminals may see it.

So is there a good, small device available that do not have to be fitted to the screen and picks up all static locations, the flash cams and none flash cams and possibly give info of portable speed traps - and easy to update for free if poss or will pay - but unit has to be good and compact and very easy to set up, ie just plug in

Looked at autoexpress but they only had about 4 teasted.
Thanks

Edited by PoloGirl on 14/10/2007 at 20:52

SPEED Trap locator, portable type - PoloGirl
We've got a Garmin sat nav that detects speed cameras, or rather, it tells you where the fixed sites are. It's not that much hassle to unclip it and take the holder off the windscreen really.

I thought the ones that detected mobile speed cameras were illegal, but I may be wrong!
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - gordonbennet
There is one thats free updates for life but it isn't small and its very complicated for me to update (however me and computers read cow and gun).

But it does have an exhaustive database of camera sites and i have only come across a couple of known mobile sites that wern't already listed.

I've had the Drive Smart for about 3 years now and i swear by it.

All the others i've heard of either charge a yearly fee and/or the mobile site database is not up to much.

If you go on to Drive Smart site you will find they have a forum and encourage posters to make suggestions and to let them know of unusual mobile sites.

But then i don't agree that small is always best.
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - Armitage Shanks {p}
Devices which detect the radar emissions are illegal, GPS devices which know where the scameras are and give you warning are OK. How is any device you buy going to warn you of camera locations if it is out of your field of view? Audio perhaps?
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - gordonbennet
Devices which detect the radar emissions are illegal GPS devices which know where the scameras

My gps detector has numerous customisable sounds to warn you i suppose you could put the thing in the glove box and just have the aerial lead coming up to the screen..funny never thought of doing that thanks AS

sq

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2007 at 01:03

SPEED Trap locator, portable type - movilogo
Can you completely rely on these electronic devices?

What if it doesn't warn you and you get nicked?

Is it worth taking the risk?

SPEED Trap locator, portable type - Armitage Shanks {p}
You can't ever rely 100% on any electronic device but they can be way better than the Mark 1 Eyeball when you are driving along roads with which you are not familiar. If it doesn't warn you and you are caught it is your problem - no warranty given with the kit!
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - horatio
AFAIK

Police prosecuted against someone for having a radar detector under the Wireless and Telegraphy act... on the basis that it was something requiring a radio licence. The defence argued that the speed gun did not emit "information" so intercepting the signal did not need a licence. The defence won.

Unless the law has been updated or that case appealed, devices which detect radar in cars are not illegal. Indeed they are sold in the UK under the 'snooper' brand name

www.snooper.co.uk/radar_detector_faq.htm#12
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - CGNorwich
"Unless the law has been updated or that case appealed, devices which detect radar in cars are not illegal. Indeed they are sold in the UK under the 'snooper' brand name"

I'm afraid the law has been updated - Road Safety Act 2006 makes it illegal to use as speed assesment equipment detection advice

?speed assessment equipment detection device? means a device the purpose, or one of the purposes, of which is to detect, or interfere with the operation of, equipment used to assess the speed of motor vehicles.?

All products marketed under " 'Snooper" brand are GPS devices and are legal since they simply provide the location of the device.

It's probably simpler to keep to the speed limit

Ok so the law has changed, but snooper are still selling radar detectors and informing the public they are legal.

So either
They are not selling them and their website needs to be updated or

They are selling them thinking they are still legal or

They are selling them and are misleading the public.

www.snooper.co.uk/snooper-s6-r-neo.htm
I have emailed SNOOPER about this and they have replied saying they are still legal and that "act" has yet to be introduced. Doesn't sound right to me.

Any advice on what I should say in reply to them?

Please.
An Update:

I have discovered that only 2 commencement orders are effective for the
Road Safety Act 2006, the first, commencement order No 1 effective from 20 - February 2007
included sections 44 & 52
The second commencement order No 2 effective from 24 September 2007 brings into force 14 sections but does not bring into force section 18
www.wikicrimeline.co.uk/index.php?title=Road_Safet..._(Commencement_No._2)_Order_2007

So AFAICT, radar detectors are still legal in the UK, and Snooper is correct. However I think they should make people aware of the possibility of the new law might be coming in. But I doubt the Advertising Standards Authority or Trading Standards would agree with me. because at the end of the day they are legal.
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - grahamw
Hi Paul,

I have been using a Talex Lite for the past 14 months, which has been excellant.
It a GPS unit with voice and visual warnings of fixed and mobile sites, when not in warning mode it displays the speed the vechile is travelling at (very useful for monitoring progress through speed restricted road works situations)
It comes with a small self adhesive pad that sticks to the top of the dash. The unit which is the size of pack of playing cards is placed on the pad and is magnectically held if place. It is very quick and easy to install and remove.
It has won the Auto Express speed trap locator test 2 years running.
I believe my overall speed has reduced since using it.
Hope this info is useful, it cost about £70.00 with a two year warranty.
I Have not updated it yet, this costs about £30.00 for the 1st year as you have to purchase a data lead.
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - Dipstick
Seconded on the Talex Lite. Cost me 50 quid odd from Tesco, and I just have it inside the centre console plugged in permanantly. Nothing to do - turn on the engine and it warns you of speed, red light and mobile cameras wherever you are. Even tells you take a break every couple of hours.

Great little unit. A year's sub (not updated it yet and won't for about six months probably) is £24.95.

Edited by Dipstick on 15/10/2007 at 10:52

SPEED Trap locator, portable type - Dynamic Dave
My inforad I bought from Currys.digital approx 16 months ago for £29.95 (with 1 yrs free update subscription; which is £24.99 annually) does me well.
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - paul2007
Thank you all. Will check out the Talex an the Currys one.
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - Dynamic Dave
Paul,

I should have mentioned that currys.digital were selling off the previous version of the Inforad (the V1) when I bought mine. The replacement (the V3) will probably be dearer.

www.inforadgps.co.uk

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2007 at 22:29

SPEED Trap locator, portable type - Marc4Six
One descreet option is the GPS mirror from Cheetah with free updates for life, see here

tinyurl.com/29jnj9

I have the previous non GPS version which is a very good mirror as well as detector, although soon to be illegal, the act with regards to radar detectors is not yet in force.

SPEED Trap locator, portable type - XantKing
This has been discussed not so long ago - as far as I can recall, although the government have the intention of banning detectors, that particular part of the legislation has not yet been passed?

Certainly, the Road Angel website still advertises detectors as well as GPS devices.

Now laser jammers, on the other hand, those are definitely bound to get your collar felt...!
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - CGNorwich
although the government have the intention of banning detectors, that particular part of the legislation has not yet been passed?

Road safety Act received Royal Assent on 8 November 2006. I think you will find all Road Angel device on market are now GPS devices.
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - Pugugly {P}
There is a debate on the site somewhere in the not to distant past...
SPEED Trap locator, portable type - XantKing
A-ha, found it:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=55027&...f

Gist of it is (about two-thirds down that page) that the section of the Act dealing with detectors has not yet been given a date of commencement, although I have no idea how one would find out when that might be - Wikipedia entry on radar detectors says Nov 2008 for the UK ban, although doesn't give a source.

So looks like they're still legal - just!

At least one Road Angel product - the Compact - looks to still offer optional lasar detection.

I'm wondering how such a thing can be enforced - given the number and variety of sat-nav boxes stuck to dashboards and windscreens. Unless you're unlucky enough to be pulled and inspected thoroughly by a tech-savvy Plod, that is!