1996 - Radio Code - wazza
Sister just bought a Vauxhall Corsa P registered. When she switch the radio/cassette player on nothing happens. The unit switches on. The display on dashboard changes from showing the clock to a text which says 'SAFE'. Does that mean she needs to have a code for the unit? The previous owner does not have the code. The car had the alternator changed recently so the battery was disconnected.

What can she do? Visit Vauxhall and ask for the code? What is the procedure and how much are we looking at?

Also do the basic corsa only have two speakers or four speakers?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/10/2009 at 22:15

Vauxhall Corsa Radio Code - ChicksFan
Does she REALLY want an old radio cassette? Who uses cassette tapes nowadays.

Certainly sounds as if the code needs inputting. Rather than spend money finding out the code though:

Better to get a Vauxhall CD Player CDR500. Just slots in to replace the existing unit. Make sure her car has the high level display first. Most models do have, but some of the very basic ones have the display in the radio cassette itself.

Plenty of CDR500's on eBay and reasonably priced these days too. Make sure you get one with the Code and instruction manual with it.

Edited by ChicksFan on 11/10/2007 at 01:10

Vauxhall Corsa Radio Code - Screwloose
wazza

SAFE is locked-out - too many wrong codes tried.
Vauxhall Corsa Radio Code - wazza
Thanks for the info. Will tell her it is advisable to upgrade because it will cost a small fortune to unlock the present unit which has been locked after so many attempts. Am i right in saying that? How easy is it to remove the unit?
Vauxhall Corsa Radio Code - ChicksFan
"Will tell her it is advisable to upgrade because it will cost a small fortune to unlock the present unit which has been locked after so many attempts. Am i right in saying that?"

Certainly no point in spending money on a radio cassette unit. Better to use it towards an upgrade.

"How easy is it to remove the unit?"

Usually 4 allen (grub) screws at each "corner". (Keep them)

Use special tool (available from motor accessory shops) - see item no. 170157229270 on eBay as an example. Cost about a fiver max.

When you've slotted in the replacement unit use the grub screws to blank off the holes again.

Any more questions? Just ask.
Vauxhall Corsa Radio Code - wazza
thanks
P reg - Radio Code - Dynamic Dave
Is there a number displayed before the word SAFE? If so, what is it?
Also, what model is the stereo?
P reg - Radio Code - wazza
Will see my sister again next week. Will take note of the model number and of any digits after the text SAFE
P reg - Radio Code - topbloke
pull the radio out some nice soul may have written the code number on it, if so then refit, ign on, radio off, press and hold as button while turning on, keep as button pressed untill a beep is heard then a number will appear in display, followed buy four dashes use the first digit to scrool through the numbers untill you get the number required, con with rest of numbers then when code is correct press and hold as untill beep heard hey presto music
Thanks for the info. Rang my sister. She tells me there is no number after SAFE text so i assume the previous owner did not know how to input the code if he/she had one so no attempt has been made.
As a matter of interest she prefers to stick to using cassettes and not CD.
P reg - Radio Code - bell boy
I would be careful putting the oe cd player in a p reg as sometimes the ecu"s dont like it and throw a wobbly,last one i did the car came back on a transporter.
If the radio is original fit then the vaux dealer can do the code via the log book for about £15
P reg - Radio Code - Dynamic Dave
From memory, if the display is saying "SAFE" then you need to go into the coding procedure, as per Topbloke's earlier suggestion.

Did you get the model? Total guess this, but I imagine it's something like a Philips / Grundig SC201 or SC303, or even a CAR200 or 300?

Anyway, they're pretty much all the same, with regard to entering the code.

tinyurl.com/yo7fmc

P reg - Radio Code - Victorbox
SC303 - plenty on eBay often with codes. Make sure you get the right one - either remote display or not.
P reg - Radio Code - David Horn
"SAFE" doesn't mean it's locked. As DD says, you need to try the code unlock procedure first.
P reg - Radio Code - Telthecelt
Cheers Topbloke! Just the info I needed having had my starter motor replaced. I had done it before but those brain cells must have expired...
P reg - Radio Code - injection doc
Tread carefully, I would go with bell boys advice, the radio is wired to the speedo input & changing the radio can cause flat spots & running faults if not fitted correctly, vectra's used to be a favorit for after market radios & flatspots following installation
Doc
P reg - Radio Code - figure_in_kuro
Radio code can be ordered from local Vauxhall dealer parts dept with valid ID for a fee of £15 - 25 depending where you go.

Not sure on the older models but I think on the new ones that if you enter the wrong pin more than 10 times then it kills the thing and you have to get a new one or send it away to be unlocked - not cheap either way.

Upgrading is a good option, although getting a tape player would mean being able to get an ipod adapter if your lass is into that sort of thing.

Your friendly Vauxhall Customer Care Rep ;-)
P reg - Radio Code - bell boy
I take you to my post dated Thu 11 Oct 07 12:41 figure_in_kuro the reason i bring it up is a lot of these corsa"s seem to have been stolen recovered in their lives and as such the radios are not the oeriginals and therefore the dealer charge for the radio may be worthless as that radio is still in some scrotes shed gathering dust or rust
SMILEY SMILEY