Test Drive - Impressions - DP
SWMBO and I made an impromptu stop at the local Ford dealer this afternoon, and ended up taking a test drive in an S-Max off their used forecourt. It was a 10,000 mile 56 plate 1.8 TDCi 125PS Zetec model.

This was doubly interesting for me, being able to directly compare it with a Ford from 7 years ago, and a direct competitor that we had driven there. Here are my impressions which I hope might be useful to someone:

The first thing that struck me in comparison to Fords of old is the finish. The plastics are of high quality, the seats nicely trimmed and comfortable, and the weighty doors shut with a reassuring clunk. Panel gaps are tight and perfect, paint glossy and even, and the overall impression is of a car that is more than a match for a VW in terms of fit and finish. On the move, this 10,000 mile car was completely rattle and squeak free too, including a drive along a particularly Third World standard road that has the Scenic creaking a bit. I did notice that the material quality is directly proportional to the level of visibility - for example the plastics in the footwell and rear passenger compartments are cheaper than those on the upper dash, but overall it felt expensive and solid. When you look at Ford interiors a decade ago, it's impressive how far they have come.

The 1.8 TDCi engine uses the same basic mechanicals as those fitted in my old Mondeo, but of course it now sports common rail injection and all manner of electrickery to improve power output and driveabilty. The result is very impressive. A lovely smooth idle with just a slight diesel rattle, and a responsive, muscular delivery which shrugs off the weight of the car. The only slight disappointment is right at the bottom end where the engine seems to "bog" slightly, and then take off with a surge as the boost comes in unless you give it a few more revs off the mark than feels entirely natural. Nevertheless, I can drive around the problem in the Mondeo where it's a thousand times worse, so I don't see any problems here, but SWMBO thought the engine a little disappointing low down compared with the Renault unit. It's not quite as quiet as the Renault unit either, with a distinctly "rumblier" quality at higher revs, but again it's nothing excessive. Kept on boost, and in the middle of its rev range, it's an absolute gem, and the gearbox is just delightful to use, but if we were seriously looking, a drive in the 2.0 model would be required though.

Onto the bit I was looking forward to - the handling. It is, in a word, impressive. It's firmer riding than the Renault, has stacks more steering feel, and handles like a car half the size. Body control is impeccable, the way the nose darts into a corner in faithful response to steering inputs makes you wonder how it manages its weight so well. I didn't push the car to its limit, but at eight tenths, it's enough to embarrass the Scenic. Don't get me wrong, the Scenic can be driven quickly, but on fast direction changes you tend to need to let the weight settle slightly and for the damping to sort itself out. You just chuck the S-Max in and it obeys faithfully and with remarkably little body roll. Judging by the feel from the tail, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a little lift off oversteer to play with at the limit too. It's good by hatchback standards, and astonishing for an MPV. You can really enjoy yourself in this car.

As you can probably tell, we liked this car a lot. It's a more entertaining drive than the Scenic, which we expected but what blew us both away was the finish of the thing. OK, you could argue our standards are not high with our existing cars, but I travel quite a lot in BMWs, Mercedes and Audis, and I know how these things feel, and the Ford is definitely in the same ballpark. It feels like it will still be working perfectly in 10 years time. It also seemed a little more spacious inside than the Renault, particularly in terms of rear seat legroom, although I found the "split" A pillars a little weird at first. Combined with the deep windscreen it felt a little like looking down a tunnel. A minor gripe though.

Oh, and its subjective I know, but SWMBO and I both thought what a pretty thing it was as well, particularly in the Panther Black of our demo car.

It's undoubtedly a better car than the Scenic (although I still prefer the Scenic's engine), but not enough to warrant chopping it in now and finding the extra cash. That said, if both had been available for similar money when we were looking, the S-Max would have been our choice. Certainly, if we still need an MPV when the Scenic's up for replacement, I reckon we've found our car.

I liked it because even as a self confessed Ford fan, it was far better built and finished than I'd ever expect of a Ford, and far better to drive than I'd ever expect of an MPV. Just a thoroughly pleasant, entertaining and practical car that was very very hard to fault.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
s
Test Drive - Impressions - Pendlebury
DP - you mentioned how well it handled.

Could you advise what road comfort was like.
How did it soak up the bumps etc ?
Test Drive - Impressions - ForumNeedsModerating
Nice review. Coincidentally (and not meaning to hijack) I had a test drive in a New Mondeo 1.8 diesel Zetec estate this w/e. I would have written much the same as you for the S-Max. Things that impressed:

Ride & handling - the one I tried had the sports pack 17in rims & sport suspension, but even with this its bump absorption was better than my Merc C270 elegance (the 'comfort' model) . The turn in & grip thtough corners seemed limited only by my (lack of) boldness - little roll & little understeer.

Engine: Despite only the advertised 125PS, the mid-range pick-up seemed as good as my car (comparisons are difficult I know, but I drove it on 'known' roads, so comparison was easier). I did notice a bit of clickety-clack diesel sound on 3rd/4th gear fast corners, otherwise commendably quiet at all times. The published acceleration figures don't do it justice in my view - once past 20-25mph & well into 2nd gear, it felt quick enough for most purposes (low revving diesels manuals with low 1st gear always suffer in their 0-30mph times, so petrols with their bigger rpm range have the advantage here)

Cabin/apparent build quality: Looked/felt better than my Merc, if a bit bland (rather uninspired cabin: blend of greys & silvers with no real stand-out feature) In the 'eyes-shut' test would be difficult to tell apart from a Merc/Audi/BMW etc.

Comfort/ergonomics: Everything in the right place, easy to get comfy, gearbox shift was short throw with a nice ratchety feel. Seats oddly, looked a bit small for the cabin size, although no issues with comfort/adjustment. Bags of room all round & huge boot (would be ginormous with seats folded) The view down the bonnet remined me of a Jag XJ (latest model) with similar lofty feel.

Overall: well impressed - Good standard spec, would add bigger sounds, zenons & leather (but minus the big wheels & sports suspension) I'm waiting for the 170bhp(?) diesel automatic to try.
Test Drive - Impressions - DP
Could you advise what road comfort was like.

Very good. Ride was quite firm, but stopped short of being crashy or uncomfortable. Lacked the "magic carpet" ride of the Grand Scenic, but also its slightly wallowy handling, so it was a nice trade off. Very little road noise either which was something that almost spoiled my mk1 Focus, and which I'm pleased to see hasn't made it into this car.
How did it soak up the bumps etc ?

Very well which is perhaps not surprising with a whopping 1700kg kerbweight! One of the roads used on the test drive is notoriously rutted and potholed, and it coped well. The suspension works quietly, and there's never any sense of unwanted body movement or floating which must take some doing with that amount of lard to keep in check. I must admit I didn't realise it was quite so heavy - nearly 200kg more than the Grand Scenic, but it hides this bulk superbly.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Test Drive - Impressions - rogue-trooper
what sort of price were they asking for this?

If Ford come out with a more powerful diesel (about 200bhp) I will sriously consider choping my 530d estate for either an S-Max or Mondeo. Anyone know if they have a powerful lump up their sleeve? Thought that I read somewhere that they did but can't find any details.
Test Drive - Impressions - Bill Payer
Anyone know if they have a powerful lump up their sleeve? Thought that I read
somewhere that they did but can't find any details.

Well, of course they have the very well rated Ford/Peugeot 2.7L V6 diesel (as used in the S Type Jag) at their disposal. However there are issues with it in confined spaces and it needs *huge* maintenance at 100K miles which could cause to Mondeo of a few yrs old to be an economic write off on reaching that mileage.
Test Drive - Impressions - Devonboy78
I was interested in your review DP as I had the misfortune of having a Galaxy hire car with this engine for 10 days on hols and overall I didn't like it at all!

The positives were:

There was loads of room for the children and asscociated stuff
The engine was OK once up to autostrandas speeds as you observed
It handled well enough

The negatives were:

This was the poverty spec LX trim and the seats were awfully narrow and unsupportive - not sure they are any different in Zetec trim?
The engine was utterly useless at low speeds, pulling out at junctions, steep low speed bends, etc
At less than a month old, 2 bits of trim were already broken off/hanging off
The CC was weedy for the size of the car and ventilation to the rear was poor

I was glad to get to my 110 HDi powered Picasso, with its ultra-flexible power range at most speeds, decent cold CC, proper seats, and even forgave it that it doesnt handle quite as well as 'the bus' which the family ended up calling the Galaxy!

DB

Test Drive - Impressions - a900ss
The engine was utterly useless at low speeds pulling out at junctions steep low speed
bends etc

SNIPQUOTE!

If you had a 1.8 diesel Galaxy, are you sure it was the 125HP version? Galaxies, especially lower spec also come with a 100HP 1.8 engine (not fitted to the S-max).
Test Drive - Impressions - tr7v8
However there are issues with it in confined spaces and it needs *huge* maintenance at >> 100K miles which could cause to Mondeo of a few yrs old to be an economic write off on >> reaching that mileage.

Space is an issue, it's a tight old fit in the S-Type, not sure about the huge maintenance though. At 150K it needs 2 belts done, Cam & pump, each is 1.6 hours & around £200 for the pair. Guy Salmon reckon current price to do both is c£500, so for that service £500 +£500 for the belts hardly an economic write off.
Test Drive - Impressions - Brian Tryzers
>LX trim...seats...awfully narrow and unsupportive...

Only in the LX. Zetec and Titanium have far better - visibly different - seats. I've tried both; wouldn't have an LX for that reason; would have a Zetec if I could finally convince myself we really need something that big.