Airbag in drivers seat - edthedead
I'm hoping that there is someone out there with so knowledge of the airbag system in the drivers seat of my Alhambra.

The airbag has deployed when my wife drove up a kerb at low speed... probably an over sensative sensor! The cost of get a new airbag and actuator fitted into the seat is about £1500+ so I reckon a cheaper option is to buy a second hand seat with the airbag in it and swap the whole seat over (probably won't match, but the car is a work horse anyway!).

My questions are:

Where is the actuator thingy, is it built into the seat or is it located else where? I have found a company in Germany who will re-set it to save spending a fortune on a new one, but don't know where it is!

Are the electrical conections the same in the Galaxy, Alhambra Sharan family? I doubt the seat I get will be an Alhambra one and the the one in there at the moment is heated where as the replacement probably won't be - will this be a problem?

Has anyone done this? Are there any pitfalls to watch out for - I seems pretty straight forwards so there must be something to go wrong!

Thanks in advance!

Ed
Airbag in drivers seat - Screwloose
Ed

You NEVER fit a shyster's "re-worked" airbag ECU. Not under ANY circumstances - they don't give guarantees that it'll work again if needed. If an airbag ECU self-destructs on firing, it's bin-fodder - not some callous shyster's profit opportunity.

In this case you won't have to anyway; as sidebag deployment on it's own doesn't scramble the ECU.

Without a proper vehicle desription, it's difficult to be accurate; but the side crash sensor on the floor under the seat will need replacing and the belt pretensioners will need checking to see if they fired.

Leave this job to a professional; as you're clearly out of your depth with no data and proper safety information. The suspension, wheels and tyres need professional safety assessment too, as sidebags don't go off on a whim.

Airbag in drivers seat - bell boy
it must have been a damm good crack on the sill
as said dont mess, professional help needed ,but nothing wrong with buying a breaker seat and having it fitted properly and the actuaters changed by a competant garage with relevant equipment
Thanks for the replies...

The car is a 2001 Alhambra TDI SE with the AUY chasis number.

When the bag went off I took it to a Seat dealer and got them to inspect it. They could find no damage anywhere other than a slight mark on the front alloy where the tyre had 'rolled' onto the alloy. They could offer no explanation why the airbag had gone off! A good will request was put into seat and rejected, hence I'm in this situation now, and trying to get the car fixed on a tight budget!

From the above you seem to be saying that I won't need the actuator to be replaced, is that right? If all that needs doing is the seat sawpping I think I should be able to do that myself but don't want to end up replacing it only for it to go off again straight away because the actuator is stuck open!
Airbag in drivers seat - bell boy
refer to what screwloose says about the side crash sensers under the seat this will need replacing as well as the seat
a good point about an insurance claim to be honest,there is a possibility the vehicle will be written off,have you considered a claim?
Airbag in drivers seat - isisalar
Have you considered making an insurance claim?
Airbag in drivers seat - piggy
Have you considered making an insurance claim?

You got there before me isislar! Well worth a try i`d say.
We have considered making an insurance claim, and yes, they may well write it if (it's had a hard life!), but we don't want my wife to lose her NCB (she only has 4 years so it is not protected) and the car is mechanically good. The amount they pay out would not pay for a suitable replacement!
Airbag in drivers seat - piggy
Just shows how valuable protected NCB policies can be. They might cost a bit more,but can come up trumps in situations like this.
Airbag in drivers seat - Armitage Shanks {p}
They are valuable if you can get them - OP says he can't due, I suppose, to too few claim free years to protect.
Airbag in drivers seat - Screwloose

This was obviously no minor bump. If the tyre sidewall "rolled" over the alloy with sufficient force to damage the rim, then that tyre is scrap due to the risk of a blow-out.

Has it even been removed from the rim for professional checking for carcase failure? Has the alloy rim even been properly checked for cracks?

There are no actuators [in the accepted sense] in an airbag system; in that context the term is meaningless.

Buy a secondhand airbag, side crash sensor and seat-covering if you must; but leave restoring the system to someone with experience and the right equipment to test and re-set it.

You haven't grasped what's needed to do that and seem to be putting cost above your family's safety.
Screwloose - As I said above, the car has been inspected by the Seat garage, who could find nothing wrong with it other than the extremely minor damage to the alloy, which is less than caused by scraping it on a kerb.

Fair enough I may not have 'grasped what's needed'... that's why I am asking for advice!