Importing 2nd hand car from Europe. - krs one
Does anyone know how to go about importing a used car from Europe. What needs to be done so you can drive it back, how do you register it in the uk, are there any taxes to be paid etc.. Any info would be appreciated.
Importing 2nd hand car from Europe. - barchettaman
Read this FAQ:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=3

Thanks for the link BarchettaMan. As the car would registered abroad would it be possible to arrange insurance in the UK to cover the drive back.
Importing 2nd hand car from Europe. - burpie
You can insure the car using the chassis number, if it's not got a UK reg.
Importing 2nd hand car from Europe. - barchettaman
Out of interest, what are you planning to do? I know German cars need export plate when permantly leaving the country, not sure about other countries though.
I think form V55/5 from the DVLA is also one you´ll need.

tinyurl.com/ypawpj

is a link to the relevant DVLA page.
Importing 2nd hand car from Europe. - jc2
IIRC and the car is more than two years old the equivalent of an Mot certificate is required before export plates are issued.
I'm looking at VW campers , the best ones over here seem to have been imported from Germany.
Wondered how easy it would be to do myself.
Importing 2nd hand car from Europe. - local yokel
Go to www.volkszone.com and www.justkampers.co.uk - loads of people do it all the time, and you'll find all the info. Look on www.marktplaats.nl for a camper, and go to www.kieftenklok.nl/ - they know all the routine and have some good buses. Alos look at www.thesamba.com - just as easy if a bit slower to import from the US.