What makes you stick to the speed limit - Garethj
I'm thinking particularly on motorways here, places where there aren't any pedestrians, blind junctions, cyclists etc. Sometimes it'll be traffic conditions, but what about when traffic is flowing freely?

Is it a threat of a ticket? Or a ban? Is it because you don't want to break the law? Some in-built danger detector in your head, and you think excess speed will cause an accident, or make a worse accident if you have one?

Let me know your secrets of sticking to the speed limit, or why you stick to your own "limit".
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - kithmo
All of the above and the price of fuel.
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - johnsnc
Cruise control.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - bell boy
What makes you stick to the speedlimit?
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>

the big thing in front of me with a needle on it does it for me
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - OldSkoOL
Common sense
Not wishing to have a criminal record or mark against my name
Actually thinking about how it would devastate families or peoples lives if a serious or fatal accident occurred because of bad driving and speed contributes to bad driving in a big way

Things that remind me

specs cameras
cruise control to stop me from accidentally going too fast

180bhp and 400nm torque in a hatchback has the potential to go dodgy when overtaking or joining the motorway.

What makes you stick to the speedlimit - madf
I have been driving for 42 years : no points ever.
Sometimes lucky, because if I drove now as I did when I was in my mid 20s, I would eithr have lots of points or be dead.

Roads are moe congested and on motorways, the key is to keep in lanes and move at lane speeds..- except if it's more than 10mph over the limit.

My attitude now is: speed is not worth the hassle if breaking limits. You don't get there much faster, it tires you out and you are likely to be caught.

So I stick as rigidly as I can in 30-40 limits, allow 10% on 50mph limits, 80mph may on motorways and in speed camera country, the posted limit.

We have 20? or so speed cameras within a 20 mile radius.

So respecting speed limit is essential.

And on country roads I see too many muppets out to kill themselves or otehrs. with speed.. We live within 10 miles of the 2 worst roads in UK for deaths: Leek/Buxton and Congleton Buxton.

Frankly I don't care if they kill themselves but they tend to kill others as well..

So I practise what I preach...and want to keep my points free record.. and drive safely.

(and nothing annoys a muppet trying to do 50mph in a 30mph limit than being forced to do 30mph)

madf
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Old Navy
Retired, no clock, no phone, no pressure, and cruise control.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - boxsterboy
Self-preservation. Of me and my licence.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - OldSkoOL
agree madf

i am up and down the road between buxton and ashbourne a lot. Too many deaths there, i was about 3 cars behind a (probably) fatal accident only a few months ago. This case a cyclist got knocked off his bike as a result of dangerous driving and overtaking.

Seeing CPR being administered on the road with blood everywhere makes you realise just how dangerous driving can be.

You need to see it in the flesh to realise, TV adverts dont even come close.

What makes you stick to the speedlimit - nick62
I grew-up living mid-way between Ashbourne and Buxton just off the A515 in the 70's, (went to school in Ashbourne and did my apprenticeship in Buxton)! How I survived travelling to work in my late teens on a motorbike is quite astonishing looking back, (a combination of a youthful outlook on immortality and lots of snow and ice!)

I have recently brought a car with cruise control and it's a brilliant way not to speed. Particularly good in motorway roadworks with "specs", just set it a 40 and let the traffic behind wait.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Red Baron
I've been driving for about 23 years and have never had any points.

Driving like a lunatic over a fairly short distance makes no sense. You are unlikely to arrive significantly sooner and will have used far more fuel. To make 85mph really worthwhile on a motorway you need to travel at that speed for two hours so that you may arrive a whole one-half hour sooner. Big deal!

Now if you could travel at 100mph for a reasonable distance, that would be a different matter.

In short, you would have to exceed the speedlimit significantly to make it worthwhile. But due to congestion and many people sticking to the speed limit, the chance of, say, doing 100mph on a motorway for two hours is very small indeed.

On country and urban roads the opportunity to speed for a significant time benefit is even smaller.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Tomo
Road conditions can make cause me to deviate, upwards or downwards.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Tomo
Just "cause" of course. Word processor let me down again!
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - movilogo
For town/country roads

Safety, Conscience

On Motorway

Plods on bridges with white vans! Though mostly travel at 80 mph on motorway. If road is clear (of traffic and visible scamera) usually curise at 85 mph. Occassionally go at 90 mph and very rarely above that (enough for a 1.3L engine)

What makes you stick to the speedlimit - NowWheels
Lots of factors. Stress, noise, fuel economy safety (higher speed means less safety margin and more energy to disperse in a collision), a dislike of being punished for being caught speeding, and the general principle that the Highway Code is like the rules for other activities involving lots of people: a convention which may not be perfect, but which does work as long as people stick to it.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - tyro
Main 3 factors are

1) Fear of being done for speeding

2) A perverse desire to get the most miles per gallon that I can manage

3) I find driving nice and slow is much more relaxing

I know that I ought to be more motivated by a respect for the law, but somehow I just can't manage it.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - tyro
p.s. Some people have spoken about safety. I have not - the reason being that the while the speed limit is not unrelated to safety, there are times when driving at or near the speed limit may be extremely dangerous.

Equally, it may be fairly safe to travel at well over the speed limit, but I would still generally not do so for the reasons given above.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Nsar
My mood at the time.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Vin {P}
I only give my speed conscious deliberation in town, where I use my mind to stop me exceeding the limit. Everywhere else, I just drive, if that makes sense.

V
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - DP
I only give my speed conscious deliberation in town where I use my mind to
stop me exceeding the limit. Everywhere else I just drive if that makes sense

Makes perfect sense. In general driving, the safest place for your eyes is on the road ahead, and the safest thing to be thinking about is what's around you. If you're doing both of these, and interpreting the results correctly, you drive at an appropriate speed without having to consciously check.

In urban or heavily pedestrian populated areas, actual speed takes on more importance, and so concentration on the speedo is more pronounced.

I do exactly the same as you.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Big Bad Dave
What NowWheels said - stress. All this looking out for cameras, police cars, marked/unmarked malarky. I can't be bothered nowadays. Speeding invariably involves a bit of tailgating sooner or later, which gets you hot under the collar. Sometimes if I've wellied it for twenty miles or so and I pull out of the fast lane, the relief is enormous.

Cruise control, fantastic tunes and playing games with the trip computer make for a much more relaxed trip.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - normd2
SWMBO
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - aaflyer
madf: a very sensible post. Your point about speed not being worth the hassle really intersected with my thoughts today after seeing a young(ish) driver constantly hitting the loud pedal and overtaking everything he could through double white lines...

Better 30 secs late in this world than 30 years early in the next...

AA
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Leif
I drive within non motorway speed limits on the grounds that the speed limit should warn me of the maximum safe speed on a given road, taking into account factors such as hidden hazards of which I am unaware.

Sadly in practice speed limits are sometimes quite perverse. I can think of several local roads where the limit is 30 on straight clear stretches with no hazards, then come the more dangerous twisty bits and the limit shoots up to 50mph. I would never go anywhere near the speed limit on these stretches. That is the problem with speed limits, in that they are only as good as the people who set them, and round Luton they are too often inept muppets. But then again that is a problem with such a simplistic approach to safety.

How to keep to limits? That is usually easy. I am no speed merchant, and aim to be safe and calm. However ... here in Luton they do place the cameras in places that must be designed to catch you. Start off too quickly when the traffic light goes green and you might momentarily exceed the limit ... and get caught by the judiciously placed camera. Or you miss the new speed limit sign placed at a place of maximum hazard (a junction) where you are concentrating on other vehicles for your own safety, and you get caught. Thus far my licence is clean.

End of rant.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Mad Maxy
What makes me? Cameras those rare traffic police cars and wanting to continue a no-points (not, alas, a never-points) licence.

On M-ways and NSL duals I cruise at an indicated 78-80. On NSL singles I'll do anything up to 75 indicated as long as conditions permit. Most of the time on the latter I'll be doing 40-50, ie the speed of the mimser in front or, more likely, at the head of the procession.

MM (RoSPA Advanced Driver - Gold Class)
here in Luton they do place the cameras in places that must be designed to catch you

Couldn't agree more :)

In Crawley Green road, the road has a steep downward slope. They have placed a scamera there! Just because they know that speed might increase accidentally while going downward!

In Hitchin, immediately after the dual carriageway [A505 with NSL and 50 mph for a short distance], there's one scamera with 30 mph! By the time one reduces speed from 50 to 30, he'd probably get flashed!

There should be a speed marking on the scameras itself. Sometimes it happened (especially on country roads) that I saw a camera but can't figure out what's the limit there [because it changes so many times 50-40-30-40-50-60-50-40-30] So, instead of guessing game, I just become 30 and pass. Why take risk?

What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Westpig
I tend to drive very much to my own system and re-assess everything for myself. I use the road planners thoughts (i.e. road signs etc) as guides, because sadly they don't always get it right (e.g some limits too low, some too high, dotted white lines where an overtake would be suicidal, etc).

I do sometimes push speed limits, on the basis that they are set for a number of worse case scenarios, often over 30 years ago and/or have been affected badly in recent years by politics and/or people with a warped agenda.

I'm a firm believer in credibility of laws and hope that the 'powers that be' could ensure limits are credibly posted........sadly they often do not and in fact they are becoming less credible.

I am very aware of the plethora of different kinds of speed camera and don't usually have any problems locating them, but don't want to tempt fate.

I am prepared to sacrifice fuel economy for time of arrival on a long journey, but then driving a modern turbo diesel on the long trips, the fuel economy is quite reasonable in any case.

What makes you stick to the speedlimit - milkyjoe
i only stick to the speed limit when i have to... ie car in front, speed cameras , or potential hazards , but clear roads well then i blag it
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Clanger
Habit. 20, 30, 40, 50 limits are mandatory for me. NSL, I go for it, if it's safe and not policed or camera-ed on the bike. Motorways in the car, 75-80. Might be because I remember the black diagonal on a white disc meant "derestricted", not NSL.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Mapmaker
1. Wanting to keep the licence clean.

2. Wanting to burn less fuel.

If it cost the same to do 70 and 100 on the motorway, would I do 100? I tried it once, and it felt pretty scary, so I don't fancy it again. Motorways at 70 are so much more restful, quiet and unstressed than at 80. Why bother - unless travelling more than about 250 miles at which point doing 80 rather than 65 (indicated 70) gives a material time saving.

Out on the truly open road (where do you manage that?) I suppose I tend to stray above the 60 toward 70 or 75 where it seems sensible. It's sufficiently fun for reasons 1 and 2 above to be outweighed.

In towns, so at 20, 30 or 40, then respect for the law combined with (1) above applies.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Mr.Tee43
It would be interesting to know what size of car and how powerful , all you law abiding citizens drive.The answers given would maybe suggest that most of you do not need a car as big as you have and actually a nice efficient diesel or a small car would suit your driving styles.

It would not have to handle very well either as you all stick to the speed limit and therefore have no need.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Civic8
>>as you all stick to the speed limit and therefore have no need.

Yeah right,we can all say that untill we get behind the wheel
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - GregSwain
I always try to stick within 5mph of the limit around town (a indicated 35 in my car only brings up 32 on those warning signs), but NSL roads are different. If it's a road I'm familiar with, and it's 100% clear, I'll go up to indicated 80 on single-carriageways, and 90 on duals/motorways. If Plod's lurking with his radar, then I go back to the 5mph rule, but here in County Durham, speeding tickets are usually only issued when you're caught in the act by a real police officer as they don't have any yellow money-boxes here.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - moonshine {P}

how long before someone gives that lame excuse of being able to "accelerate out of trouble".....

As for the OPs original question, the only time I stick to the limits is when there is a camera, specs or police car around. Other than that I use the speed limits as a guide. E.g. on a clear dry day on the motorway with light traffic I might drive at 80-90mph. In heavy rain on a motorway I might only drive at 50mph. Going past a school in 30 limit at around 3:30pm with parked cars at the side of the road and kids everywhere - 20mph.

For the majority of the time it works out that I drive within the posted limits, for many of the reasons already mentioned - safer, less stress, fuel saving etc.

In summary the only thing that will make me 100% stick to the limits at all times is the presence of a camera or police. Without that presence I am liable to break the law. This may be the answer that the OP is looking for as validates the argument for having speed cameras on every piece of road.

And course lets not forget that while I do enjoy driving fast at times, I don't want to die early or take someones life. That surely is the ultimate reason for limits.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Lud
A driving examiner sitting beside me. A marked police car sitting on my tail. Traffic going at the speed limit that is too dense to allow judicious overtaking.

Otherwise I know what the limit is and try to stay at or above it.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Westpig
there's a fair bit of economy with the whole picture here isn't there....... working on the presumption that this is a motoring site, with knowledgeable people who enjoy or have a good working knowledge of cars... i'd hazard a guess that a fair few of you are good or above average drivers

put into the equation it's the Daily Telegraph motoring website and a fair few will be able to afford good cars etc.

i'd presume that a reasonable chunk of you travel at exactly the same speed that i do on a motorway.....as the outside line is often a long line of people doing the same speed... and it's not 70!
i'd presume that a reasonable chunk of you travel at exactly the same speed that
i do on a motorway.....as the outside line is often a long line of people
doing the same speed... and it's not 70!

I cannot see anything wrong with doing the best part of a ton on the motorway, and to be honest on the rare occasions that I am in a hurry, or travel long distance, I will push the car. Some people will say "Start the journey earlier" but on a long journey, I prefer to spend less time on the road. The little Ford Ka does get a bit noisy but it is very stable.

The main deterrent is that a car following me might be an unmarked police car, so if I am followed, I tend to slow, and watch what they do. I like to think the police would ignore me unless I was driving poorly, but I might be wrong.

If someone can argue convincingly that doing a ton when driving sensibly is dangerous, I'll stop doing it.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Civic8
Surely anyone would rather be driven over the limit by someone who understands cars and driving than waddle around in a car driven by some numpty who thinks it's intrinsically dangerous to exceed the limit? I certainly would.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Mr.Tee43
There is an old argument here about a particular speed limit, i.e 70mph on the motorway.Now don't forget that this was brought in as an emergency initiative during the old fuel crisis and at that time the standard of engineering on most cars was rubbish compared to todays standards

Even the Jaguar E Type was not exactly a good handling car and its brakes and tyres were poor by modern standards.

To do 100 mph in a modern car is a non event, and if you feel unsafe doing it, do it for a couple of hours and 70 feels nothing,you adapt quickly.

Of course whatever speed limit is in force, a good driver will modulate his speed to suit traffic density , weather and road conditions.

The French recognise this with their dual speed limits on motorways depending on the weather.

Whats wrong with doing 100 mph at night on an empty motorway in good conditions.I have many times and find that my concentration levels are far higher than doing 70 on auto pilot not remembering the last 10 miles or so because my mind was thinking about something else through boredom.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - CGNorwich
"than waddle around in a car driven by some numpty who thinks it's intrinsically dangerous to exceed the limit"

Personally I would not describe driving at up to 70mph as "wadling around". I choose to try to drive within the law so I guess I'm numpty by your definition although I don't think its necessarily intrinsically dangerous to exceed the speed limit - its just against the law and I try to keep within the law within all areas of my life.

What I don't understand is why speed is so important to some people. To me it often seems to betray a character of impatience and selfishness. As has been pointd out already exceeding the speed limit for short periods has vey little effect on journey times and its virtually impossible to sustain a speed that is going to materially effect a journey time my more than a few minutes.

Why does "someone who undertstands car and driving" judge driving standards simply by the speed at which a driver travels. There is a lot more to driving than belting down the road with your right foot to the floor.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Robin Reliant
I'd be willing to bet that most of those who boast about how competent they are at driving at 100 or over on the motorways are the ones who sit two foot from your bumper giving you the finger if you don't move out of the way in a nanosecond and then swerve in front of you as they pass to "Teach you a lesson".

We all toe it from time to time, it is human nature but habitual breaking of the limit by large amounts is the hallmark of the dangerous.
--
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Mr.Tee.43
And I bet you the type of person who thinks, well I am travelling at the legal limit so why should I move over. let them wait !
Personally I would not describe driving at up to 70mph as "wadling around". I choose
to try to drive within the law so

OK CGN, sorry. But are you one of these people who drive at 65 because your speedometer says 70?

There's no need to get snotty about 'observing the law'. Exceeding the speed limit isn't a crime, it's a minor civil offence.

And to those who ask why there seems to be this unaccountable interest in speed, I would observe that it is integral with the unaccountable interest some (but alas not all) of us have in the automobile.

Speed is one of the thing's most captivating accomplishments, capisce?

I fear not.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Dynamic Dave
Thread tidied up to remove the stupid argument that broke out. Take it down the pub guys if you want to start a slanging match.

DD.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - hbosken
What makes you stick to the speedlimit?

Easy - I've seen the results of carnage caused by inappropriate excessive speeds. (i.e. damaged cars, a man whose head was severed by the impact, a child who looked more like a bright red sponge.....)

I'm not against speeding - but it has to be safely. 20mph in a school zone when 5 - 10 year olds are about is reasonable. Doing 30mph in the zone when the kids are not about is reasonable. Doing 60mph is not. Doing 90mph on a relatively quiet motorway is fine - but 90mph on a busy motorway (M6 between B'Ham & Stoke?) is just plain stupid. Even worse are the guys (and gals) who insist on barging their way through by intimidation (i.e. sitting on my rear bumper at 80mph flashing their lights, when it's so obvious that my car is unable to play leap-frog)

What makes you stick to the speedlimit - spikeyhead {p}
I obey all speed limits that are sensibly set.

Sadly, few of them are!
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Exceeding the speed limit isn't a crime, it's a minor civil offence.

Well no it isn't a civil offense. Speeding is against the criminal law and is therefore a crime albeit at the lesser end of the scale.

The point I was trying to make is that to a great many speed seems to be what driving is all about. However it is perfectly possible to enjoy driving without speeding, at least it is for me although you would clearly disagree with that statement. There is howevers no real practical justiification for deliberately speeding on todays crowded roads other than that you like doing it
All right CGN, a misdemeanour under the criminal code or something. Sorry, but I can't see exceeding speed limits as a 'crime'.

Why do you think I wouldn't agree with the statement that you can enjoy driving without speeding? Of course you can. But as you rightly point out, people go rapidly because they like it. And as I pointed out, speed is one of the automobile's most captivating accomplishments, and always was.

I am always quite pleased when I am overtaken by a properly-driven car that is going more quickly than I am. Would that more people took the same view, instead of this repressive tut-tutting that goes on all the time.

It is always a pleasure to be on a bit of road where everyone is going briskly and well. Alas, the numpty-count is usually too high for these good moments. But they happen sometimes.
"Sorry, but I can't see exceeding speed limits as a 'crime'. "

Well you might not but the magistrate certainly will.

I don't go in for repressive tut tutting and don't mind in the least being overtaken and I guess I probably get overtaken more often than you. Would certainly not obstruct anyone's progress if I can legally avoid it and of course I sometimes stray a few mph over the limit Can't say however that I'm impressed or admire drivers who flagrantly flout the law as equally I'm not impressed by any other law breaker

Checked out my speedo on the way home tonight -speedo 70 mph SATNAV 68.70 MPH

Since I do usuallydrive by my speedo apologies to any one I have inadvertently slowed down by 1.3 mph

That makes you sound all right CGN. Go on, be a sport and drive at an indicated 75 a bit more deliberately.

No one'll nickya, honest!
There is howevers no real practical justiification for deliberately speeding on todays crowded roads
other than that you like doing it

Well in a literal sense that is true, barring emergencies. But local councils are continually lowering existing speed limits, and 20mph limits are now commonplace, and 40mph limits now exist where it was once 60mph. I sometimes find myself getting very frustrated when on a clear road with no hazards, doing 40mph when I know it is safe to do much more.

And there is a practical reason to go at high speed on a clear motorway when the journey is 100+ miles.

My take on this is that they should not impose a reduced limit unless they can demonstrate a clear reduction in KSI figures and sadly the tendency is to fiddle and lie. Otherwise the limits lose their credibility which surely makes it harder to enforce them. We have an issue where local roads are 20 mph (too low IMO), some people crawl along at 15mph, and others (a large number) hurtle along at 40mph (far too high IMO). The limit irritates the 'honest' and is not enforced so the loonies still cause accidents.
No point in argueing about it but if you need convincing you wont stop youre
not the type but you may stop others -by killing them not yourself as it
always is

That was a pretty stupid answer.
>>That was a pretty stupid answer
No more stupid than doing a ton on the motorway...

Another stupid and almost content free post. Why don't you instead say something informative such as an explanation of why you hold the views that you do, instead of making assumptions bordering on the offensive. Or I suppose you could carry on making content free statements, and I could carry one saying how stupid they are. It passes the time I suppose.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Garethj
In summary the only thing that will make me 100% stick to the limits at all times is the presence of a camera or police. Without that presence I am liable to break the law. This may be the answer that the OP is looking for as validates the argument for having speed cameras on every piece of road.

No, there's no hidden agenda here, I'm not looking for an excuse to ask for speed cameras everywhere. I'm just after the thoughts that people have to help them stick to the speed limit, or very close to it as it's something a friend of mine struggles with.

I'm not really interested in the "that's the limit, that's what I stick to" people, more the ones who want to go faster but don't, and how they manage to do this. Let's be fair, most cars will crack 120mph but there aren't many who do more than 90 on the motorway.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Mapmaker
>most cars will crack 120mph

But how safely. How many cars have tyres that are rated for that speed? Many people claim to run their cars with over-rated tyres on grounds of 'safety' - I never go more than 100, so I run 120 tyres. So, when doing 120, on that (paranoid?) basis tyres should be rated at 140 at least.

How many braking systems are really set up for regular use at those sorts of speeds?

And as for petrol consumption - there is a speed beyond which the frequency with which you have to refuel negates all advantages of going more quickly.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Vin {P}
"How many cars have tyres that are rated for that speed? "

I suspect you'll find that most do. It's pretty rare to find a tyre place that will fit an under-rated tyre for a car, as that opens up a whole can of liability worms. And the rating is based upon the car's maximum speed, not the speed you plan to drive it. Thus, I suspect that most cars are using suitable tyres.

V
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Garethj
How many cars have tyres that are rated for that speed?

I thought all tyres sold have to suit the performance of the car? Tyre places won't sell you a 100mph rated tyre if your car can do 120mph, surely? This always used to be the case.
How many braking systems are really set up for regular use at those sorts of speeds?

Errr, all of them? Brake fade never happens on a motorway unless you're in a fully loaded Mini Clubman estate doing 80mph with drum brakes. I'm not saying a Fiesta will stop as quick from 120mph as a Porsche, but it'll work as well as intended.
And as for petrol consumption - there is a speed beyond which the frequency with which you have to refuel negates all advantages of going more quickly.

Don't buy this either, say you fill up every 4 days, it's just the difference between having 3 gallons left in the tank and 4 gallons (or 4cc if you are my wife......)
Isn't it true that most tyres are now rated H or higher?
H rating is good till 130 mph.

What makes you stick to the speedlimit - GregSwain
Isn't it true that most tyres are now rated H or higher?
H rating is good till 130 mph.

T-rated tyres are good for 118, but annoyingly my car (with official top-speed of 107) needs H-rated tyres according to Nissan. I have every confidence that it'd be fine with the lesser-rated, cheaper tyres, but it would invalidate the insurance. To be honest, any driving on British roads over 100mph is unnecessary and illegal, so I have no idea why so many manufacturers specify H-rated tyres over T-rated. As for V & W rated tyres, who wants to do 149/168mph on the road?!
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Dynamic Dave
I have no idea why so many manufacturers specify H-rated tyres over T-rated. As for V & W rated tyres who wants to do 149/168mph on the road?!

The ratings aren't only for speed. Other factors, such as the weight of the car, loading of the side walls when cornering, etc also apply when a recommended rating is specified by a car manufacturer.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My Passat estate might only manage 110mph but is does have V rated tyres. Probably for the reasons DD states.

On the bike- limits- what are they?

In car , old age, fear of losing licence, pedestrians , BMWs up my boot.
What makes you stick to the speedlimit - paulb {P}
On the bike- limits- what are they?

:-) There are one or two very quiet (in terms of traffic) and sparsely-populated stretches on my commute, on which a derestriction sign might be interpreted as saying "Motorcyclists - minimum engine speed 8,000 rpm, next 7 miles" or something like that. Not always, but sometimes.

In the car, reasons for law-abiding behaviour are as follows (no particular order):
1) Perverse desire to get as high a number as possible on the little digital display under the rev counter that says MPG
2) Cost of diesel and consequent desirability of getting >500 miles between fills at £53 a time
3) Don't want to have to keep looking out for police cars (marked or otherwise), cameras, mobile traps, whatever
4) Cruise control
5) Cost of tyres at north of a hundred quid a corner (and mine is only the 16" rim, too), of which the rate of wear is directly proportional to the weight of the right foot
6) Mrs B.

A fairly compelling selection.
What makes you stick to the speed limit - John F
Wife.

What makes you stick to the speed limit - JH
Fear. You die if you exceed 30 mph. Something about air into the lungs :-)
JH
What makes you stick to the speed limit - carl24488
I tend to deviate only slightly over the limit on occasions as i cannot afford the points (can only get 6 till december) and for 2 other reasons:

1) dont want to kill/hurt anyone
2) dont want to kill/hurt myself

although i must admit late at night on the motorway it might be worth lifting the limit to say 90 if the roads are dry and conditions are good. i am talking around 10pm - 5am?

what do you think?
What makes you stick to the speed limit - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
1. Having six points
2. Fuel. Cruise at 70 and even on a quite busy motorway you don't have to slow down much - lane 1 most of the way and lane 2 to pass the trucks. Even up it to 80 and you end up in a constant see-saw of accelerator and brake - so all that fuel used to speed you up gets used to generate heat in the brakes.
It's not the speed as such - is just that more people are trying to go at 80-85 - if we all drove at 70-75 it would be just as bad.
(I cruise at 80-90 indicated on a quiet motorway).

On the bike, though - that's a different story, at least out of 30/40/50 limits.
What makes you stick to the speed limit - nb857
I'm an off peak road user and am more than capable of determining how fast is safe to drive at. On a quiet motorway in a modern car it is perfectly safe to treat the 70 mph limit with the contempt it deserves.
What makes you stick to the speed limit - hcm
superglue
What makes you stick to the speed limit - Sofa Spud
Because we're supposed to obey the limit. Part of driving on the public highway is that we abide by the rules that govern how we drive. We should obey traffic laws. If we don't like particular speed limits then we can argue for them to be changed but it doesn't give us the right disobey them. Or if we think it does, then we can't complain about the consequences!
What makes you stick to the speed limit - Lud
People complain about lower-than-necessary speed limits with cameras placed in them to generate revenue, and rightly so, but no adult surely would think that being caught by one of these things or a lurking plod with a radar gun was anyone's fault but his own?
What makes you stick to the speed limit - Leif
People complain about lower-than-necessary speed limits with cameras placed in them to generate revenue and
rightly so but no adult surely would think that being caught by one of these
things or a lurking plod with a radar gun was anyone's fault but his own?

I used to think like that. Until I moved to Luton. I have several times nearly got a ticket due to missing signs, and thinking it was legal to do 40 when the limit was 30. There are so many cameras here that it only takes one slip. Are you always completely aware of the limit? In the Thames Valley (Slough) it was okay. Well marked limits. Cameras in seemingly sensible places.
What makes you stick to the speed limit - Lud
I used to think like that.

No but look garethj, they go on at me like this all the time, if you really want to stay cool finewise just make sure you're no more than 5mph over the alleged limit when the flash goes off.

Tiresome and slow, but safe.

Over the years even I have become the sort of driver you would call a mimser if you didn't know where the cameras were.

Luton Schmuton. London Schmondon.

And people have started to allege that you can't even go quickly on the way to Prague now.

It's a minefield. Don't doubt it. Australia? Argentina? Can't actually think of anywhere else with proper roads and relatively thin enforcement.
What makes you stick to the speed limit - Garethj
Or if we think it does then we can't complain about the consequences!

I would never complain about getting caught if I was speeding, just pondering how long my "good luck" clock has to run, and whether to do something before it runs out