Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Jagman
I have just received a parking ticket for parking on the pavement, ticket states "parked with 1 or more wheels on any part of an urban road other than a carriageway (footway parking)".

The road was very narrow hence the parking on the pavement & there was no parking restriction signs.
I wasn't the only car parked this way (irrelevant really) but given the width of the road pavement parking seemed sensible if only for access for emergency vehicles, I even folded my wing mirrors back to provide additional clearance (I thought I was being a responsible citizen but there you go).

Is it worth contesting the ticket or pay up within 14 days & save half the potential £100 fine.

The road is a cul de sac in Isleworth, west London.

Top Reply

Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - J1mbo
But the pavement is for pedestrians, if its too narrow, park round the corner next time?

All Replies

Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - J1mbo
But the pavement is for pedestrians, if its too narrow, park round the corner next time?
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Bromptonaut
A google on "pavement parking london" will provide your answer - and the rationale for the ban.

Pay up while the discount is fresh.

Pavements are for pedestrians!!
should have mentioned the pavement had a tarmac strip next to the paved area, this was what I parked on. There was plenty of room for pedestrians.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - stuartl
I sympathise with you on this one. I see both sides of the story. We used to live in a victorian house with no off street parking. A number of owners in the 8 houses in our little 'block' had distastefully turned their front garden into a drive. One owner had a big ugly Merc Jeep thing that hung right over the pavement. To compound matters people that parked on the road parked slightly on the kerb as otherwise the cars would get hit (and still frequently did!)

I nearly got a ticket in Croydon for parking with two wheels on the kerb on a single yellow line on a Sunday.

There's no chance of winning against these people. Pay the fine and learn the harsh lesson that is the 'traffic warden on commission'
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Civic8
>>should have mentioned the pavement had a tarmac strip next to the paved area, this was what I parked on. There was plenty of room for pedestrians.

I got one years ago for the same reason,best to pay up and make sure you only park on pavement where signs say its allowed, as my road does...
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Baskerville
If you can't leave room for emergency vehicles on the road, then park elsewhere and walk. Emergency vehicles, especially fire engines, will push your car out of the way with no mercy and then send you the bill. Your insurance company may not want to know. You may then get a 'driving without due care' charge as well--this happened to a flatmate of mine a decade or more back. Hers was one of about 20 cars damaged. Cycling on the pavement is not allowed, so why do you think driving on it is ok?
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Dulwich Estate
A little more sympathy please.

We have a footpath outside our house and the council have fairly recently painted dotted white lines on it and put up a few signs showing footpath parking is OK. I really can't see why it's alright on my narrow footpaths and not on some near identical others in my area.

Perhaps I can though - a few years back when my neighbours got tickets for footpath parking they all got together and for week or so they all parked cars in the road (on both sides) and not on the footpaths. The congestion and frayed tempers was a sight to behold in the morning and evening peak hours.

A few weeks later we got our dotted white lines. It's strange how these dotted lines suddenly seem make the footpaths wider so that disabled persons and pushchairs can pass by easily when before they couldn't !
>>so why do you think driving on it is ok?

I would not call it driving on footpath,I also dont think its a problem parking on path if councils allow it,if they dont mind I dont.

>>Cycling on the pavement is not allowed

Tis in certain places around my area, but cyclists dont use them they get on drivers nerves by blocking the road where they dont need to
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - bell boy
to be fair to jagman i think he did everything right but got hit by a stickler area mr ticket man
dont get me wrong i hate pavement parkers but i dont live in londonian where needs sometimes must
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - carl_a
This is why we need Japanese kei car rules here in the UK, no parking space then small car or none at all.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Lud
Exactly bb.

I don't hate pavement parkers at all. It's often the best place to park, sometimes the only one.

It's always obvious either from the size of the road alone or the fact that other people are already parked there.

And we all know how annoying it is to suddenly get into trouble over something that has always been perfectly all right until that moment.

People are going to say: what about the disabled, the blind, the elderly, women with special wide triplet pushchairs.

The government should arrange immediately for all such people, and those in similar categories, to live in streets where no one has to park on the pavement. It's easy when you know how.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Aprilia
I think the problem is that when the road is narrow the pavement usually is too. There's a pavement I walk along sometimes where a shop owner parks his car fully on the pavement, narrowing it right down - wish someone would give him a ticket.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - hbosken
"If you can't leave room for emergency vehicles on the road, then park elsewhere and walk. Emergency vehicles, especially fire engines, will push your car out of the way with no mercy and then send you the bill."

My nephew is a firefighter - called to a fire in an industrial estate - narrow road where the police had many times asked the local businesses to move the cars. On this day, his senior officer told just "go for it". he severely damaged 8 cars, and bent the bumper on his Scania fire tuck. The police charged the business in charge of the vehicles parked (a) for parking partially on the pavement, (b) for causing obstruction, and (c) for parking the wrong direction in a one way street.

The cars and the businesses? Car body shops - and the cars belonged to customers whose cars were awaiting collection!

On another theme - my mate is disabled and must use a wheelchair (he cannot walk at all). How annoying it is for him to actually have to use the roadway becuase some ignorant sod has parked his car on the pavement making it too narrow for his wheelchair.

Just the other day saw a mother and child in pushchair have to go into the road (very busy bus route) because of a parked car.

I have no sympathy for people who park on pavements and get a penalty for it.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - nortones2
Where arrangements are made to mark out a small section of pavement, so that everyone can get along, thats progress. But its objectionable when drivers block the footway, or drive AT pedestrians to intimidate, or through myopic selfishness. Other aspect is that delivery wagons etc are imposing a load on pavements not designed for it: as on a local road where council employee parks his hefty van, so the surface is now a series of ponds when wet:)
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Cliff Pope
>>
I would not call it driving on footpath

You always get a team of helpful neighbours to lift your car onto the pavement then?
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - L'escargot
What doesn't seem to occur to most people is that the foundations of pavements are not generally sufficiently substantial to cope with motorised vehicles. Parking on the pavement can cause damage to underground services. Outside the first house we bought a gas leak occurred due (according to the repair man) to pavement parking.
--
L\'escargot.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - boxsterboy
This is the problem with cars getting ever wider - such as the new Mondeo. They may look great in the designers mind but are less practical in the real world.

Sorry, jagman, you'll have to take the medicine like a good little boy, and swap your Jag for a Smart.
Ouch - The fine I can handle, but swapping my Jag for a Smart......... now that really hurts ;0)
I thought I had a valid point, but it seems the anti-pavement parking brigade want to dominate without any discussion. Shame really.
>>but it seems the anti-pavement parking brigade want to dominate without any discussion

Yes and you will probably find these are the worst offenders ;)

I have often found someone that complains about pavement parking is usually the first to do it when in a hurry then Deny it,if there is a sign to say you can I do
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - NowWheels
I thought I had a valid point but it seems the anti-pavement parking brigade want
to dominate without any discussion. Shame really.

Actually, there seems to be plenty of discussion ... it's just that you don't like the answers.
Actually, there seems to be plenty of discussion ... it's just that you don't like the answers.

Wrong, wrong, wrong - there is no discussion. It's all seems to be a rant against parking on pavements as though it was morally wrong to do so and akin to wife battering or even using the wrong type of light bulb or not owing a Toyota Pius. Personally, I don't really give a monkey's whatsit whether car drivers do or don't.

I simply observed that round my way it was an offence to park on the footpath in all the local roads, but when it became expedient to ease traffic flow in my one particular road it suddenly became legal.

I said : "A few weeks later we got our dotted white lines. It's strange how these dotted lines suddenly seem make the footpaths wider so that disabled persons and pushchairs can pass by easily when before they couldn't ! "

So my argument is that the decision to permit it did not require reinforcement of the footway foundations, did not require the disabled and others to contort themselves around vehicles and hurt themselves. The decision was political and practical. I was hoping the erudite, well-educated, very observant and generally all round bright ones in the backroom to a take a view - but they must all be away in Bournemouth or somewhere.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - smallfish
Irresponsible pavement parking really bugs me, I will confess I wasn't always especially careful with the pushchair whilst squeezing past some of the pavement blockers I used to encounter when the kids were small. (and once my daughters arm was quite badly hurt when it got trapped in tiny gap between car and pushchair)

Even so, I do think there's a significant grey area in places that pavement parking has, out of necessity, become the norm and doesn't inconvenience anyone. It wouldn't be a bad thing if local councils identified these areas and clearly marked them as parking permitted. Until they do though, the law is pretty clear, it's just unfortunate that the enforcement's a bit random and inconsistent.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Lud
Croydon actually DE, via M25 and very easy today thanks.

I said above that I favoured pavement parking, with or without dotted white lines. Paris style is particularly suave, one wheel on a pedestrian crossing and another on the step of a bar. It's always a scrum in urban areas. If they don't like it they should live in the country.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - bell boy
i said i understand in londonian it is mostly needed due to too many cars
i also said i dont like pavement parkers where people take it onto themselves to stop walkers walking,i cant really be clearer than that
,can i?
I used to live in Twickenham where pavement parking was originally banned when the London wide ban was introduced, us locals invited the council to get an emergency vehicle down the road with cars parked either side but no on the pavement, the councillors sensibly decided that they would let vehicles park on the pavement, however the signage is ambiguous at best & visitors are never sure how to park their vehicle.
In fact it was one such vehicle parked on the road that prevented a fire engine getting to the garage fire at my house, (another story, but a bad day for classic cars), no lives at stake, fire engine waited for errant car to be moved.
There is a definite case for pavement parking if the pavement can handle it & circumstances justify it, people stating park somewhere else or have a car only if there is space to park it clearly aren't on my wavelength, I can park all my vehicles off road at home but the idea of having a vehicle is to travel & that sometimes involves parking at unfamiliar destinations, the council parking dictators are very aware of this & are exploiting to the full.
Just ask anyone living in London Borough of Richmond.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - madf
I have great sympathy for anyone parking on pavemenst: as much as anyone caught speeding.
madf
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - movilogo
In some places, there are more cars than people who use pavement. So, parking with one set of wheels on pavement is actually better than blocking the traffic flow.

It's a musical chair game. Unfotunately you've got caught - so have to pay up.

Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - WipeOut
I am happy you got a parking ticket. When me and my wife walk with our 1 year old son in a pram, we have to risk our life and his to walk in the road because some inconsiderate driver has parked on our pavement! Our child buggy is quite wide and doesn't fit in the gap most motorist think is suitable.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Badwolf
Playing devil's advocate here, I agree with WipeOut about forcing people with pushchairs into the road. When my two were still reliant on their pushchairs and I encountered cars parked on pavements I used to squeeze through where I could. If that meant putting a scratch down the side of their car, or bending their mirror in an unnatural direction then so be it. They shouldn't have parked thoughtlessly on the pavement. Frankly, given the choice between damaging some numpty's stupidly parked car or wheeling my progeny in the road then it's scrape time every time!

BUT (and it's a big but, so I've been told...), I can also see Dulwich Estate's point of view. A good friend of mine lives on a main road with a very wide pavement. In fact, both sides of the pavement put together are probably wider than the road. The pavement is divided into two parts - about one third tarmac and two thirds paving slabs. If you park on the tarmac you leave plenty of room for the widest pushchairs or wheelchairs in the world to get by but people still get fined for parking on the tarmac. Where is the sense, or indeed the justice in that?

Hey ho...

Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - mal
I must live in a car friendly town as I have been parking on a strip of tarmac about three times the width of the path alongside it, this I have been doing for the past 30 years.....................And now that I have posted this sods law my next post will be a moan about being ticketed for the first time after parking in the same spot for 30 years!!!.
Hey wipeout,

I have twins, I doubt your single buggy was as wide as the double width buggy we used to use, as a result I am always aware of leaving enough space on the pavement for human traffic especially double width.
I never mentioned the width of the pavement, why are people so quick to judge & quite often leap to the wrong conclusion, perhaps I should have explained the circumstances better, that is what was annoying about the ticket narrow road, adequate width pavement, seemed a no brainer at the time, but you live & learn.
You may be happy I got a ticket (now paid in full) but you will be more than miffed when you need the emergency dervices & they can't get to you as the road is impassable.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - WipeOut
Where I live, the pavements are narrow, the roads are wide. Everybody has a drive, which can accomodate at least two cars. There is ample parking. For some reason, some inconsiderate people still insist on parking on the pavement. There is no concern or issue of parking on the pavement so that emergency vehicles get through. They don't want there car scraped. They would rather risk that my family are killed or injured by these idiots, than there car scraped.

I concede that that there is some risk that an emergency vehicle could be hindered in it's response to an emergency, but parking on the pavement isn't the solution. I don't know what the solution is. It may be different with yourself, but I would be confident most people are more concerned about there precious car, than making space for a potential emergency vehicles.

I am a motorist, a pedestrian and cyclists. Pedestrians and cyclists are so much more vunerable than motorists. Motorists seem to think they are the only legitimate user of the road and forget what it is like to be a vunerable user. Anything that protects vunerable users should be encouraged even if it seems to be an unfair parking fine.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - DP
Just pay up. It's not worth contesting anything like this, particularly in London where you're more likely to face justice for this than for shooting someone! :-(

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Garethj
You may be happy I got a ticket (now paid in full) but you will be more than miffed when you need the emergency dervices & they can't get to you as the road is impassable.

As said above, I don't think the choices are (1) Block the pavement or (2) Block the road. It should be to park somewhere legal, even if it's further away.

I agree that wide pavements are very tempting, especially when there's enough room for pedestrians, but it does damage the pavement badly which makes for repairs, digging up the road, temporary traffic lights, 5 blokes leaning on shovels etc
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - FotheringtonThomas
Aren't you entitled to remove the obstruction? Take four or five of your friends with you when you go out walking with wife and push-chair. Turn the flippin' thing over on its roof.
Parking Ticket - Parking on The Pavement - Old Navy
Some of the grass verges near our local hospital have been trashed by people parking in wet weather. It has five car parks, all free, and although well used they often have vacant spaces. I think people turn up late for appointments and abandon their cars as close to the entrance as possible. The councils responce is to erect signs threatening civil action for restoration costs against owners of vehicles parked on verges. We shall see! I think a truck load of big rocks along the verge would be more effective.