Sat Navs obscuring view - Rats
I have noticed quite a few cars over the last couple of weeks with Sat Navs fixed in to the windscreen that appear from my view to obstruct the driver's view, e.g. just under the rear view mirror, directly in front of the driver (central to steering wheel) etc, all would certainly fall within the "swept area" of the screen.

Are some people really that stupid that they place an item in such a place ???

Surely if a Police Officer (if you ever see one these days) spotted this they could be charged with driving without due care?? But then again, who needs a Police Officer, when a speed camera will catch them out !!!!!!!!!

Sat Navs obscuring view - PhilW
I know you won't believe this, but I swear it is true. A couple of weeks ago I came up behind a Scenic on a single track country lane. It was doing about 10 mph and was wandering a bit from side to side of the road. Driven by an old bloke (white hair) with an old bloke passengers and a couple of blue rinses in the back. I thought I saw a satnav directly in front of driver, and I mean directly, right at eye level. No, I thought, it can't be. After a couple of hundred yards at a T junction he was indicating left, I went right and as he turned I could see the satnav. Yes, dead in line of sight. The thought occurred that he was using it instead of the windscreen rather like a computer driving game!
Oh, and I'm not being ageist (white hair above) - I am not in the first flush of youth and my hair is getting "blonder" by the day!
--
Phil
Sat Navs obscuring view - Lud
People are missing the point about this placing of the pratnav.

It is to obscure the driver's features from the latest generation of mugshot speed cameras, so that these crazed speed merchants - 10mph is far too fast for most country lanes - can claim later they can't remember who was driving (I'm a bit gaga, see?).
Sat Navs obscuring view - bell boy
wouldnt a pork pie trilby hat do the same thing lud?
oh just remembered its 6 points now if you dont tell who was under the hat ;-(
Sat Navs obscuring view - Lud
Now that it can't be used in this way, will HJ shed his lid? I think we should be told.
Sat Navs obscuring view - bell boy
maybe thats not really him anyway but a computer hollowgramme
but i agree lud
Sat Navs obscuring view - component part
Some people are just too dumb to live...although that doesn't explain how matey mentioned above made it to OAP status still breathing. Sometimes the gene pool just needs a bit of chlorine adding to it.

Oh and don't take the above to mean I never have done anything dumb or made mistakes, because I have. But I do regularly self reflect and try to learn and improve. Just hope these people don't take anyone else with them. And if I meet my demise because of my own stupidity, feel free to laugh, seriously.
Sat Navs obscuring view - Nsar
I'm all in favour of it. The presence of sat nav is a good indicator that the driver is a complete ninny, so the more prominent the placing the greater the ninny rating.
Sat Navs obscuring view - hypocrite
Hi,

With my 'old' satnav (IPAQ 2210 and TomTom v3 - 4 yrs old) I could position it next to the instrument binacle. Same focal length as the Instruments so not a problem.

My new TT720 has to live very near to the windscreen. Waiting for better mounts. Out soon. Too far to confortably operate and on show. With a very sloping windscreen hard to keep low and I care to try. Maybe the default supplied mount is too short?

What more concerns me is that I've seen a couple of pictures on web sites with the SatNav positioned either fixed in front of the passenger airbag or actually on the padding/dashboard.

OUCH.

But there is an Impreza near me that has a secondary instrument binacle of three large dials right next to the A-post. A big blind spot. Other people have for sale signs or dangling CDs from the mirror. Its not just satnavs....

(but then I did some research on third party software when I got the new one. A US site offers DVD/Video/MP4 viewing on the display!)

Simon