Suspension issue and to replace with sport or not - Big Vern
Hi

I have a problem with my 2002 A4 130bhp tdi. I noticed that it has dropped on the rear driver?s side corner.

I swapped the standard 16 inch wheels for a set of standard OE A4 17 wheels about 3 months ago which went on without a bother. Indeed I was pleased to see that the drivers door placard which gives recommended tyre pressures quotes the rim and tyre combination that I have on the new wheels.

Anyways I got a puncture due to a screw through this tyre, and when I threw the car on the lift I noticed that the wheel was hard to turn. The calliper was binding a little, but after a generous welt with a hammer it seemed to free up, however then I noticed that the wheel was fouling a little on the wheel arch cover just at the top of the spring. When I looked at the tyre on the inside wall I could see that yes it had been rubbing, but it was not polished and the ?spikes? of rubber that a new tyre has were still there on the portion of the tyre that had been rubbing.

So I refitted the wheel and lowered the car off the lift, and drove it in and out of the garage to ensure it was settled properly. On the drivers side I can just get two fingers between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch, but on the other side I can four in easily. The spring looked intact and the shock does not show signs of leaking? I did not have time to investigate further. The car has 90k miles on it so I am going to get all 4 shocks replaced anyway. Any body any idea what else I should be looking at? The car still seems to handle ok and none of the bounce I would expect with a duff shock

I know that people do not rate the sports springs on the newer Audi?s but what of this vintage? The car does sit a little high with the 17?s on but I would rather live with that look than rock hard ride. I am only really interested in OE kit, I am not into really low cars or adjustable suspension.

Comments welcome on what else could have caused the issue with the dropped corner and the ride quality of a 2002 A4 TDI on Audi Sports suspension and 17 inch wheels.

BTW It does not rub when I have my old 16 inch spare on.
Suspension issue and to replace with sport or not - jc2
What happens if you switch the wheels side for side-does the spacing change or do you still have two fingers one side and four the other??
Suspension issue and to replace with sport or not - Peter D
This could be a busted spring on the front causing the car weight distribution to be unbalanced that is assuming a rear spring has not compressed. Regards Peter
Suspension issue and to replace with sport or not - Aprilia
The calliper was binding a little but after a generous welt with a hammer it
seemed to free up

Not a good way to 'cure' this problem!

I suspect that you have a cracked spring (possibly at one end) and/or the spring has sagged with age and usage.

If it were my car I would have the back end up in the air. Wheels off. Clean and lube the rear brakes. Have rear shocks and dampers off. Check dampers and replace if necessary (probably worn out at 90k) and replace rear springs as a pair. If the 17" wheels are the same running diameter and ET as the 16's then there shouldn't be a problem with them.
Suspension issue and to replace with sport or not - Aprilia
PS - do check that the running diameter of the 16" wheel/tyre combo is the same as that of the 17" combo - it should match to within 5% or less.
You could try
www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25&...c
do see if any Audi guys have changed this suspension. Regards Peter
I think it is a great way to cure the problem when you have 10minutes so it is this or nothing :o)

The 17 inch wheels do have a larger rolling radius than the 16 inch, but this is not the issue both are OE wheel and tire combinations and both are listed on the placard for the car, also when first fitted they were checked for fouling and as suspected with a rim and tyre combination designed for the car there waths no problem.

This is something that h yas changed.

Yes I had assumed that at this mileage if I was doing anything to the suspension I may as well change all 4 shocks and most probably the springs..... and yes I am going to do them as a four and not only the problem corner.... :o)
I suspect that if the car is delivered with 17's the ECU correction code is entered to correct the Speedo and DIS computer for MPG etc.
I suspect that if the car is delivered with 17's the ECU correction code is
entered to correct the Speedo and DIS computer for MPG etc.

I was interested in this when I first fitted the wheels, So i took a run down a flat dual carrage way and drove the car at a steady speed at an indicated 40 60 70 mph. I then looked at a GPS log and found the 17 inch wheels give a pretty accuate reading. I was not bothered enough to re-fit the 16 inch wheels and repeat to see how far they were out.
Suspension issue and to replace with sport or not - Roly93
I suspect that if the car is delivered with 17's the ECU correction code is
entered to correct the Speedo and DIS computer for MPG etc.

>>
Funny you should say that but our local Audi dealer said that it was not possible to make changes in the ECU for dissimilar diameter wheels ??
So I replaced all 4 shocks and springs which fixed the ride height issue in the rear right corner, but there was nothing obvious wrong with any of the springs that came out. I am very puzzled, but glad there was nothing serious wrong.

I went for standard springs in the end as I knew that the suspect corner did not have a broken spring and was nervous that I might need the extra height of a standard spring to cope with any underlying issue, but it does look like a bit of a monster truck?. Ahh well?.

So anyways I can only assume that the one spring went weak, which I am more than a little surprised about. Has anybody else seen a spring go weak?

I have noticed the ESP is kicking in a lot more, so I suspect I need to get a 4 wheel alignment done.