03 Replacing Brakes - best non dealer brand. - NigelFN
Hi there,

I need to have the Brakes replaced on my 2003 X-Trail 2.5 SVE Auto (Disks and Pads).

I have had a quote from Nissan (gulp) and have also called a few "local garages". The local people have offered different brands of brakes.

Please can someone advise on the best non-Nissan brand(s).

Many thanks, Nigel.
03 Replacing Brakes - best non dealer brand. - GregSwain
Well....Lockheed according to an independent I've used before, but my local factors swear by Mintex.
03 Replacing Brakes - best non dealer brand. - 659FBE
Both products are excellent in my experience. The Lockheed pads just win because they keep the disks in better shape with less scoring, last longer and produce a paler colour of dust.

03 Replacing Brakes - best non dealer brand. - MW
Whatever make you get, use a top make as suggested above. Cheap pads = poor braking and loss of 'feel and bite'. The extra few quid is worth it.
03 Replacing Brakes - best non dealer brand. - injection doc
I would stick to either Nissan or ADL ( blue print) products. I wouldn't bother with anything else unless you want rapid brake wear or excessive noise or possible brake judder a few months along the line or just ineffective brakes! once you have to deal with the hassle it makes the expensive products cheap.
Doc
03 Replacing Brakes - best non dealer brand. - Aprilia
Any of the 'big brands' will be fine; Mintex, ATE, Delphi etc. Never had a problem with any of these brands. Steer clear of 'Allied Nippon' (sound Japanese but made in India). Nissan don't make their own brake pads, I think the OE pads will be Akebono.
IME, Mintex are very cheap to buy as well. Bought a set of front pads for my old Sunny and they were under £10 for the full axle set. Having said that, I've bought Halfords own-brand discs and pads before, and didn't have any complaints about them. Not a clue who makes them.
03 Replacing Brakes - best non dealer brand. - DP
Mintex, Bendix, ATE, Lockheed Delphi, EBC, Quinton Hazell (QH), Ferodo and Halfords own brand. Used all of these and had no problems and good life from all of them.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Many thanks for all of your suggestions.

I took the car to a local garage who advised that the pads were 50% worn on the front and 75% worn on the rear. The discs are fine (except for some scoring on a rear which will need re-grinding).

Booked in for a new set of pads all round to be sure (ADL).

Quite interesting the difference from the Nissan dealers view. Maybe I should keep the old ones and measure them once they are of.

Thanks again,

Nigel.
03 Replacing Brakes - best non dealer brand. - bell boy
sorry if im missing something?
but if the brakes work alright?
and the front pads are half worn
the rear pads are a quarter worn
why are you having them changed?
I figured that I needed to get the rear ones done and it makes sense to me to have both done together.

Done some editing for you - PU
why are you having them changed?

Very good question BB - surely the independent has just confirmed that the dealer was just trying it on. Brakes are a wear & tear part and they can make a bit of money out of doing them prematurely (and often without query from the majority of customers). If I took my car anywhere and they said the pads were only half-worn, I'd thank them for their honesty and do another care-free 10,000 miles before thinking about changing them.
03 Replacing Brakes - best non dealer brand. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Someones maths is even worse than mine.
75% worn is not the same as quarter worn.
03 Replacing Brakes - best non dealer brand. - graham101
I just had the same thing from dealer for my X-Trail (o5-reg)
Quoted just short of £700 for front/rear pads and discs by nissan main dealer.
I under took to do it myself and bought Mintex front and rear pads
before I started the work (cost me £53 total)
When I took wheels off and removed pads I could hardly tell new pads from old
Discs were fine!!
Snip - name and shaming -found all too easy with a google stick - PU
I just had the same thing from dealer for my X-Trail (o5-reg)...

That's not surprising Graham, the best part of £500 straight into their pocket for changing perfectly good pads/discs. Makes me angry when dealers use brakes to make their money - most punters will just go along with it, because they're concerned about the safety of their vehicle. I bet you wished you'd checked them before spending your £53 though ;-)