Brake Judder - neilo575
Hi I have 306 t diesel when I drive around town at normal speed theres no judder but when going on the motorway it judders badly I have changed the discs and pads last week something else I have noticed is when you speed up on the motorway the steering pulls slighty to near side for a moment but then centres up again the drivers side outer edge of the tyre is slightly rough the near side tyre is perfect any ideas would be helpful

Thanks in advance Neil
Brake Judder - Number_Cruncher
>>but when going on the motorway it judders badly

Do you mean that you get the juddering all the time while driving, or, only during braking?

Number_Cruncher
Brake Judder - neilo575
It happens only during high speed braking i.e over 40

Neil
Brake Judder - Number_Cruncher
Despite having fitted new pads and discs, it may be worth checking the discs for run-out and thickness variation. For this, you'll need a dial gauge and a micrometer.

However, it may be the case that the drive flange is damaged, which is causing the disc not to run true.

Number_Cruncher
Brake Judder - neilo575
Hi again just come back from a run up the motor way the brakes don't judder at 70 mph more like around 60 down to about 40 and at high speed the steering does not pull problem seems to be between 40/60 mph the wheels are not shaking at any speed any ideas Neil
Brake Judder - neilo575
Hi again not sure which way to go with this problem is it possible that the new discs have warped in less than a week or is it likely to be a suspension part worn I wonder if the wish bone has play in it enough to cause this judder by flexing under braking when I tightened the wheel nuts up there was movement of the whole suspension how do you test the wish bone could the tracking be out due to the fact the drivers side outer edge is rough any help would be great Neil
Brake Judder - Collos25
Make sure there is no rubbish behind the disc and its seating properly,also prone to suspensin/steering joint and rubber bush wear also the suspension top bearing might be worth looking at.
Brake Judder - neilo575
Just had the tracking /balance done but I noticed something on the test drive that the shake is coming from the steering wheel more than the brake pedal so I now think it's steering related wishbones seem top of the list unless I am missing something. I had the discs off again and rechecked the mounting hubs and careful filed any high spots just to be sure
Neil
Brake Judder - neilo575
Hi again just checked the discs again and one side had 2 thou of runout which I have reduced to around half a thou the other had 1 thou so there not to far out no sure what the metric equivilent is all the same not bad, while I was donig that I put a screw driver between the front bush and the mounting on the wish bone and I could move it back is this normal more movement on one side than the other this side is also the side that the steering moves to for a moment when accerlating then move back to centre I tried the wheel pulling test looked like some movement Thanks Neil
Brake Judder - neilo575
Hi just changed the wishbone near side it no longer pulls to one side when accerating so that problem is fixed the bush was very sloppy still have a judder at around 40 mph through the brake pedal though .

Thanks Neil
Brake Judder - L'escargot
Hi again just checked the discs again and one side had 2 thou of runout
which I have reduced to around half a thou

Modern disc brakes, which don't have the piston-retraction devices that Dunlop brakes incorporated, need a certain amount of disc runout to ensure that the pads are pushed away from the discs after braking. I don't know what the required runout is though.
--
L\'escargot.
Brake judder - neilo575
Peugeot 306 hi this an on going problem with judder Tried the hand brake test it does judder slightly just before stopping what I have noticed is that the judder seems to get better the harder you press the brake pedal and some times it's pulling to the right under braking oh this car is a joy any help would be great

Thanks Neil

{moves to existing discussion - DD}
Brake judder - Number_Cruncher
If you feel it via the pedal and when you use the handbake, that points to the rear drums. Sometimes if an inept has previously used a hammer to get the drums off, they become damaged.

Number_Cruncher
Brake judder - neilo575
Sucess at last I had another look at the sliders found a sticky grease on the pins cleaned them up again did a recheck they where still stiff had them apart to find more sticky grease so the rubbers that the sliders run in came out gave them a really good clean put it back together with copper slip they slid much better took it out for a test run no judder thanks for all of your help Neil
Brake judder - Saltrampen
I thought hi temp silicone grease was better for caliper pins rather than copper slip, which is not ideal for moving parts as it is slightly abrasive. However as pins only moving occasionally, might not be a problem for many years...Sounds like the sticky grease maybe spray grease or low temp grease (both of which can destroy the pin rubber bits)or even vaseline.
Brake judder - neilo575
Hi thanks for the tip I will look out for some silicon grease
Neil
Brake judder - neilo575

Peugeot 306

Hi again I had a brake judder a while ago and solved it by moving the the wheels (back to front)around this was after changing discs/ pads etc all was well until I got two new front tyres now the judder is back took the car back they checked the balancing and said it was fine they thought it was discs so I have swapped them (discs) over to a spare set cleaned up the calipers and it was fine for a few miles then it started again always happens when slowing down from 60 ish when the speed hits just over 40 the judder starts the judder is mostly through the steering wheel I am now wondering what has changed where the old tyres out of balance they did shake a bit at 60 could it be a sticking caliper not giving full contact was the old wheels covering this up any ideas as this is really getting to be a pain
Thanks Neil