Do you carry your V5 with you? - Mapmaker
I don't suppose you do. So what when you're away from home and your car is towed - and you have to produce driving licence, V5 and proof of address.

Westminster (see previous thread) didn't seem to care too much when they towed my friend's car; despite giving a long list of required documents - but she had her driving licence with her.

Strikes me as bizarre, for who would pay several hundreds to release a car that was not theirs anyway?
Do you carry your V5 with you? - commerdriver
even if you're at home if it's a company car you don't have the v5, the leasing company has it.
Do you carry your V5 with you? - SpamCan61 {P}
A V5 isn't proof of ownership anyway, is it? IIRC it states that somewhere on the document itself.
Do you carry your V5 with you? - Happy Blue!
Nope - the paper half of my driving licence is in my briefcase (actually its one that was reported stolen, but I had lost it and then found it after I had received a new one) and the card is in my wallet. Very handy when I was stopped by the police a couple of years ago and was able to prove who I was there and then.
Do you carry your V5 with you? - bell boy
no
Do you carry your V5 with you? - movilogo
I thought it's risky to carry original V5 in the car!

I usually keep photocopies of all documents, insurance, V5 etc... the license I do carry the original [to prove who I am :)]

Do you carry your V5 with you? - GregSwain
Why would anyone carry their V5 around with them? Mine lives in a filing cabinet.
Do you carry your V5 with you? - LHM
Fully agree, Greg. If you take the trouble to park carefully then being towed away shouldn't be an issue, either :-)
Do you carry your V5 with you? - boxsterboy
No. Some people think the it is proof of ownership, and might buy the car if it has been stolen, along with the car.

Slight thread creep here, but can anyone explain the purpose of the 2-part driving licence? I still have the old paper one, not having moved house for over 10 years now. It seems that the new 2-part is only accepted by car hire companies if you have both parts. I know the photocard part is seen by some as an unofficial ID card, but 2 parts = twice the risk of loosing it!
Do you carry your V5 with you? - Xileno {P}
Mine stays locked away. Also if you leave it in the car and it gets broekn into, thief has your address of possibly unoccupied house.
Do you carry your V5 with you? - Happy Blue!
Yes - 2-part licence silly, but in old days, it was the only the poor government could make a more streamlined system based on credit card sized document. In future it will a computerised system, so you will only need your card - but it will very expensive, unreliable and years away - unlike other countries which probably have it now for the cost of a spark plug.
Do you carry your V5 with you? - gmac
Slight thread creep here but can anyone explain the purpose of the 2-part driving licence?
I still have the old paper one not having moved house for over 10 years
now. It seems that the new 2-part is only accepted by car hire companies if
you have both parts. I know the photocard part is seen by some as an
unofficial ID card but 2 parts = twice the risk of loosing it!

The driving licence is only classed a valid licence if both parts are present.
It says that on the front of the paper part under Counterpart Driving Licence. I don't understand the logic of this in comparison with the old paper licence and a passport as ID except the new one has to be renewed.
Yet another brilliant system. I'm surprised the new ones are not linked to your current account via chip and pin so you can be fined on the spot.

Answering the original post do not carry V5 in the UK, must carry it when abroad.
It was a rhetorical question...

I don't suppose anybody carries it with them in the UK. So is it not wholly unreasonable for a council who has towed your car away to demand it?

And is it not wholly pointless to demand it, if they don't enforce it.

O ye smug ones who have never been towed... Westminster are in the habit of suspending bays without notice and towing away a resident car...
Do you carry your V5 with you? - Galaxy
Some years ago a friend of mine was stopped by the police (that shows you how long ago it was!) and asked to show his documents.

He prompty produced his Log Book from the glove compartment, and was then told off by the police officers for carrying this document around in such a manner!

Do you carry your V5 with you? - Chris White
Never had a need to carry mine around with me. Only carry the photo part of my driving license for ID purposes (and my insurance policy number).

Chris
Do you carry your V5 with you? - martint123
Don't you have to carry the V5 when abroad. And if company wheels get the original or a certified copy??
Do you carry your V5 with you? - Dulwich Estate
I've still got my little red book licence. Remember them? They look like a mini passport are coloured dark red and are about 2 inches tall by maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. (note: no metric dimensions as most licence holders of that era in UK had no idea about anything metric!!).

That reminds me, isn't it about time the DT got rid of temperatures in F.
Do you carry your V5 with you? - Pugugly {P}
Reminds me of a case in the mid-eighties where a driver produced one of these antiques to an Officer, adding insult to injury she included a 10 shilling note inside 15 yrs after they stopped being legal tender ! She had no current licence though !
Do you carry your V5 with you? - drbe
>> That reminds me isn't it about time the DT got rid of temperatures in F.

No.

Why?

Why should they?
Do you carry your V5 with you? - gmac
Yet another brilliant system. I'm surprised the new ones are not linked to your current
account via chip and pin so you can be fined on the spot.

I was only joking when I wrote this but looking at the front page of todays D**** M*** it appears not so far fetched...
Do you carry your V5 with you? - Carse
Strikes me as bizarre, for who would pay several hundreds to release a car that was not theirs anyway?

Mapmaker,

I would love to part with several hundered pounds to recover a porshe 911 that did not belong to me

Carse.
>>I would love to part with several hundered pounds to recover a porshe 911 that did not belong to me

So should I. But in the above scenario you'd STILL have to break in, you'd STILL have to hotwire it (in the pound, in front of the parking attendant no doubt with CCTV cameras watching, and the parking attendant has your driving licence number), you'd STILL not have a set of keys for it and it STILL wouldn't be yours!

Much easier to nick one from the roadside and save the hundreds of pounds and reduce the likelihood of being caught. Or am I missing something?
Do you carry your V5 with you? - paulb {P}
I'm carrying mine around with me at the moment, but only because the plates got stolen off the car last week and therefore (having reported this to the Police) there is a rather greater chance of me being stopped at the moment.