Rant about traffic in Leeds today - David Horn
Coming through Leeds today I sit for TWO HOURS to travel 3/4 of a mile though the city centre only to come to the roundabout before the A58 to discover that it's closed due to a burst water main. Do the police set up a diversion? Do they, perhaps, even provide some indication of a possible way around? Like hell they do. They put up a road closed sign at the exit of the roundabout and stand leaning against their car chatting and laughing at the traffic.

Nor do they even bother to ring the traffic lines on the radio - not a word about it on Radio 2 travel hotline the whole time I was waiting there.

And the ones that could set up a diversion are all sitting on bridges on the M62 inside camera vans, one of which I went under rather carelessly at 82mph on the GPS. Fair enough if I get a NIP, but I'd just passed someone in a beaten up old car with no shock absorbers, wearing no seatbelt and chatting on his mobile but going slightly slower than me.

Add to that the rolling roadblocks the lorrys set up when traffic gets slightly busy, and stupendously heavy clutch on the Rover 75, and you have a thoroughly rotten three hours. On top of that, I have another 5 hours to drive tonight to go back down to Devon.

[Inaccurate subject line amended - PG]
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - Pugugly {P}
Buy a motorbike - :-0 That's how I go to the Office when I'm trapped there for the day.
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - Altea Ego
Have a good day at work dear?
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - David Horn
No, dammit.
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - Pendlebury
Don't you just love the UK and how we prioritise our resources.
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - Robin
The road closure you refer to has just been mentioned on Radio 5 - no good to you of course. These radio alerts are often worse than useless - I have often been passing through a location whilst listening to the radio report that the road was closed!
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - madf
I have noted the worst whingers drive Rovers.. shum coincidence?

:-)))
madf
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - midlifecrisis
How thoroughly rude of the Police to cause a water main to burst and not to personally call you and let you know!

Rant about traffic in Leeds today - Pugugly {P}
MLC,

And laugh at passing punters (literally) :-). I got stopped today by a PCSO on the estate where we work, I was speeding apparently. I couldn't get him to laugh :-( - hey ho.
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - Altea Ego
How thoroughly rude of the Police to cause a water main to burst and not
to personally call you and let you know!

I wouldnt mind, but I pay your wages you know.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - Red Baron
And if you, or indeed any of you, fly in aircraft then you pay my wages as well including all the overtime. Yippee!
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - Vansboy
You think you've got water main problems.

There was a torrent bursting through the road surface, here in a certain part of Luton, late Friday, still flooded on Saturday & even today, the excavation isl present.

This has meant the local ladies of the night are having to wear wellington boots.

Doesn't go well with a tiny miniskirt & may well have detrimental effect to their income, so much so, the water company may have to reimburse them for lost illicit earnings.

VB

PS On second thoughts there is possibly some people that might find this kind of dress sense appealing!
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - PoloGirl
Burst water main and getting it fixed - have the highways agency/council handed this to the police to deal with these days then?

People sat in camera vans - most likely to be employees of the camera partnership, rather than police officers.

Updating of the traffic lines - not a police responsibility unless it's a police incident. Again, your rage would be better directed at the HA/LA.

Officers laughing at the road closure - well, they've been told to stand there and do a job. Nobody said they had to look miserable did they?

Heavy clutch on the Rover - not actually the fault of the police is it?

Have a nice cup of tea :)
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - Avant
Although I agree that the police aren't to blame, my sympathies are with David. Imagine having to spend 3 hours looking at that brown dashboard and sepia instruments.
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - bell boy
and at least it didnt boil ;-o
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - midlifecrisis
They're probably laughing because otherwise they'd cry at being asked (countless times) by drivers "has there been an accident" or "can I get through" while they simultaneously
1.hold up all the traffic and 2.completely ignore the road closed signs and cones.
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - daveyjp
For those who don't know Leeds a bit of a history lesson.

About 10 years ago the central roads in Leeds were designated the 'central loop'. A one way system which takes you to any part of Leeds city centre, all traffic going in one direction. Miss your exit and you have to go round again. The A58 (M) runs through the middle of Leeds thus avoiding the loop if you want to bypass the centre and go to either York (north east) or the motorways (south west).

The burst water main is at the south west end of the A58 (M) on the first roundabout you hit before the city centre, or last if leaving. Any traffic wanting to go west from Leeds centre needs to go through this roundabout. The loop means there is no alternative route - if there is a blockage at any point you are stuffed as most rat runs were blocked to form the loop.

It's now like having a failed train on a track - it blocks anything else behind it as there are no alternative routes, but those who amde the decision though it was a good idea.
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - adverse camber
you didnt mention the lane markings, the markings on roundabouts and the scameras.

I dont do leeds any more.
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - stevied
It was blocked around there on Friday as well.... came off the M62 and just stopped. The loop road system as described is a bit ludicrous, although you can escape up through Armley and back down towards the Headingley/Hyde Park Road. Not much good if you're not familiar with the area though!

Don't go there that often any more, but I always seem to have a traffic nightmare when I do! Mind you, I came back on the train. Now, you can say what you like about the traffic, but Leeds - Crewe is via Manchester Piccadilly, so takes about 2 1/2 hours (longer than car). Add to that the screaming kids, the Dom Jolys and, my pet hate, the people who just play loud music on their phones/MP3s etc (and it's always R n B or dance music, not my cup of Earl Grey) and I would rather sit in a traffic jam....
Rant about traffic in Leeds today - daveyjp
Another reason to avoid public transport - when it all goes wrong Mr Jobsworth gets to work:

Form the YEP report about the problems yesterday:

"Passengers on a Pudsey-bound bus that was stranded for two hours on Wellington Street reportedly staged a mini-revolt, forcing its doors open manually after the driver refused to let them off."

You can just hear the driver in his monotone voice repeating his mantra learnt after many weeks of tuition.

"I can only let passengers off at authorised bus stops, I can only let passengers off at authorised bus stops, I can only let passengers off at authorised bus stops"!!!

For those able to you can walk from Leeds to Pudsey in less than two hours and the railway station is 5 minutes walk from Wellington Street.

Rant about traffic in Leeds today - Collos25
Every central hold up in Leeds seems to involve some way or other the Armley giratory, specially designed to hold the most cars for the longest period of time.