Mercedes E Class versus BMW 5 series basic models. - cattleman6

Because of the price of the C class Mercedes in expensive Dublin ( much dearer than in UK because of tax on new cars), I feel it is almost better to buy a 200 E Class Mercedes or a 520 D 5 series BMW. They even sugested in an Irish magazine, that for very little more Irish drivers could well go for the least powerful 200 E . I know one would get much greater room and more comfortable ride and still get good residuals, if the engine isn't too large. No one likes too much tax!! The BMW 5 series looks nice and modern with it's latest improvements. Apparently they have now improved the troublesome I-Drive.
I would be extremely grateful if anyone can give me any hints or information on the subject between these two luxury cars. I have proof that Mercedes have now fixed their problems and I have also seen that BMW have fixed their problems with the 5 series. I have read that although very economical, the base 520 D BMW needs to be reved hard pulling away from traffic lights etc ( gearing may be too high)?I would definitely go for automatic with Mercedes.

To give some idea: In a local Irish paper today they give a very good write up on the C Class.The C Class CDI 220 automatic in Ireland costs about 58,000 euros and goes up to about 66,000 euros with a lot of extras.
My present car a Seat ToledoTdiSE has given me incredibly good service since I bought it new towards the end of 1999. It has now done over 146,000 miles and runs like new; but naturally the residuals are terrible. Once over the magic 100,000 miles, people don't want it. A main dealer in Devon told me that some years ago. So next time I want a car with excellent residuals.The secret is to buy a Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Lexus and not buy too big an engine or indeed too big a car, so I have read. Of course I know that less expensive cars are cheaper to run. There are some surprises though.
Mercedes E Class versus BMW 5 series basic models. - Pendlebury
Cattleman - just remind us of your motoring requirements so we can help a little more.
Based on your current car I guess you do about 18,000+ a year.
What do you most look for - is it reliability, comfort, image, customer service etc.
Just drop us a reminder and then we can start to discuss your options.

PS - you do not need to remind us Brits about high Taxation - at least in Ireland it seems well spent (from my observations) and not on all the quangos and failed projects we spend all our money on - as HJ regularly reminds us.
Pendlebury. Very many thanks for your kind letter. Both countries are actually in quite a mess. I don't normally trust too many politicians. HJ is absolutely right, as people with decent cars are continually threatened with more expense. Speeding finds and more expense is going to be threatened to people driving in central London. I always buy AutoExpress and read "motor mouth's " column with interest.
Sorry I wasn't straight forward in what I wrote. I call it old age waffling!!
SeriouslyI just want to find out pros and cons of owning a BMW 5 series or a Mercedes E Class. I would now trust Mercedes; but I did hear that the BMW 5 series has now also been fixed. They both had problems. At my time of life I want a bit of comfort and class like an E Class for example. I am now suddenly doing a lot more mileage with at least a couple of long trips round Northern Ireland every week on top of all my other driving. I noticed that some petrol engines are now actually nearly as economical as the diesel ones.
Mercedes E Class versus BMW 5 series basic models. - reddy03
Hi Cattleman
I have a BMW 520d manual (touring) and find it a superb car. Orginally I was going to buy the 525 d auto but after test driving the 520d I found it nearly as good for quite a lot less. You do need to use the gears a lot, but you soon get used to that. My previous car was a MB 220 A/garde Sport (auto) and I find the 520d quicker and a better overall car. The i - drive is not as bad as its made out to be and you'll get used to it (eventually!). The MB cabin was better quality but I find the BMW seats far better. I also looked at a E 220 (estate) but couldn't get a cost close to the 520d.
reddy03. Thank you for taking the trouble to write back to me. I found your letter very interesting. I wanted to find out what people really experienced. I am definitely thinking of buying one of these cars.I will try them out.
Mercedes E Class versus BMW 5 series basic models. - reddy03
Hi Cattleman
Should have metioned the 520d has averaged 44.7 mpg (according to the comp') 0ver 8000 miles.
reddy03. That is extremely economical for such a big car. I just have to learn how to use the I-Drive. I have heard they have made it much simpler with an added 8 buttons. Very many thanks!
If I got a 5 series BMW, my main problem would be to learn how to use the I-Drive. The E Class Mercedes doesn't have any of that stuff.
Mercedes E Class versus BMW 5 series basic models. - Martin Devon
E320 straight six petrol. 29.5 mpg North Devon to Southampton and back. 235 BHP. 0-60 low sevens if you want it. Journey mainly on cruise but plenty of spirited acceleration with a couple of 90-100 stints where appropriate.

MD
A superb car wow!! That must have a fantastic engine.
Mercedes E Class versus BMW 5 series basic models. - Gromit {P}
A superb car wow!! That must have a fantastic engine.

It does, but at 3.2 litres you'll pay top band motor tax on it here in Ireland.

If you're doing high mileage, a 1.9TDi Audi A4 would be worth considering against a C class. Well proven engine, good real-world economy (often 50+ depending on set-up) and the Audi is well enough regarded by the Irish second-hand market to sell on even at high mileage. And no i-drive!

I would have suggested an A6 against the E-class, but there are recurring doubts expressed here about the 2.0 TDi.
Gromit{P}. Sorry I was actually joking about that incredibly powerful car. It's a lovely car, but I would end up in jail trying to pay the tax bills and the running costs. I am actually very interested to see the new Audi A 4 when it appears.My present car will have to last till the coming year. It looks as if they have put more rear legroom in the new A4. My adult passengers need the extra legroom. I didn't have faith in the A6 2.0 Diesel. That is a superb car; but with the right engine. A friend of mine has a 2.7 Diesel A6 in the outskirts of London. He loves it. It's interesting that the Audi A4 keeps it's value in the Irish market. I see a lot around in and near Dublin.
Mercedes E Class versus BMW 5 series basic models. - boxsterboy
I think the 'excellent residuals' of Mercs, BMWs and Audis is a bit of a misnomer.

As a percentage they lose, say 50% over 3 years, whereas a more mass-produced car may lose 70%. But in actual £s (or Euros), the loss is greater with a Merc, BMW, Audi because you are taking a percentage of a higher price.

Of course, over those 3 years you have been driving a generally nicer car (I used to have a C270 CDI and E320 CDI) and had higher service bills to show for it.

I wouldn't buy a prestige car in order to save money!
Mercedes E Class versus BMW 5 series basic models. - Gromit {P}
With Irish road tax being as it is, Cattleman, we can but joke about 3-litres :-s

I'll bet you many of those A4s you see around Dublin are standard-spec 1.9s (usually silver or grey) and Kildare registered! That's the usual company car given to Aldi and Lidl trainee managers - both companies run their training courses in Kildare. A4s were a popular fleet car with Intel for quite a while too.

FiL intends to buy a 520d early next year. He's looked at the C class, Saab 95, Honda Accord and CRV, Audi A6 and new Mondeo too, but his heart is set on the 5. Following your logic, it'll have to be a 520d to stay below the 2000cc tax band as, on principle, he refuses to "donate" any more to Brian Cowen and Co.

Of the others, the A6 came closest on price and driver satisfaction to the 520. But be advised, when he enquired about trading in his current 318 auto he was offered less than the equivalent manual ("there's little demand for them second hand") even though they're on BMW forecourts at a ?5000 premium! So I think you're heading in the right direction with a standard spec (but not stripped) out model - you're unlikely to see the extra spent on the options list back come trade-in time.

Of course, if you buy nearly-new and keep the car long-term, none of this matters - its just a question of who'll sell you the spec you want at the keenest price!
Mercedes E Class versus BMW 5 series basic models. - NowWheels
PS - you do not need to remind us Brits about high Taxation - at
least in Ireland it seems well spent (from my observations) and not on all the
quangos and failed projects we spend all our money on - as HJ regularly reminds us.

Even with the quangos and failed projects, the UK would have a lot more money available for things like roads and police if it wasn't squandering/spending so much on a new nuclear weapon system, new aircraft carriers, and foreign wars. However, given the choice, British voters prefer the war toys.
Mercedes E Class versus BMW 5 series basic models. - Pendlebury
Can only agree with you there NowWheels but I think I have ranted enough about the UK tonight.

If you are looking for a comfy cruiser cattleman then I would go for the MB. The driving/handling dynamics of a 5 series are probably better. The only experience I have of these cars is as a back seat passenger and I found the MB more comforatble in this class.
Strangley enough I find the 7 series more comfortable than an S class in the class above.
E class would be my choice if you want a diesel.
(If you can live with petrol then a GS)
As a back seat passenger in an occasional Taxi E Class, they are very comfortable for ride.
I just want to say a very big thankyou to all the people who have helped me.I will study carefully before spending my money. Much appreciated!!
As well as taking proper note of all that was said to me, I am definitely going to look at the new Walter 'd Silva Audi A 4 when it appears after the Frankfort motor show. It may appear by February I think they said. It should have more rear leg room etc.
My wife has hired me a BMW 3 series automatic when we very briefly visit Cape town at Christmas, leave the snow behind!!!!
Unfortunately with hire companies one very seldom gets the car one orders. My wife is from Durban and my daughter was born there. We live in my native Dublin; but I truly loved living in East Devon for ten years. A beautiful place!! I lived in Sidmouth.
Interesting to see how the BMW 3 series is like to drive after my having driven the new C class on a test drive. They are assembling a lot of them in South Africa ( both makes).
My E320 drops into 5th in Economy mode at about 30 mph when hot and will barely drop down a cog unless pressed. It is a lot of car for little money. Unless you do loads of miles then there is nothing to lose by having a petrol car and a large comfortable one at that. You must consider the purchase price and depreciation in any calculation. My car had 54k miles at purchase and is 1995. 4k bought it.

VBR.........MD.
Extremely interesting Martin Devon. I have met quite a few who have bought very well with upmarket Mercedes second hand. I actually have had the good fortune of occasionally going in a lovely second hand quite powerful petrol engined E Class taxi in Dublin ( usually brought over from the UK where the price is much less)the taxi drivers usually wangle something so they escape a lot of extra tax which I would get clobbered for. If you keep it for six months in the UK you can escape a lot of the dreaded VRT tax in Dublin. I just love those older luxury E Class Mercedes they really feel luxurious. Lovely cars!!! Don't worry most taxis in Dublin are not Mercedes!!!
Martin Devon. Amazing for getting such a lovely car for 4K. A pity I am not still living and working in East Devon!!
A pal of mine has just bought a 102k miler. 300 turbo diesel estate with all the bells and whistles. 6k cost. That came from a dealer in south Devon. I think he could have got it for less, but hey!

Regards.......MD
That is a lovely car!! I looked in Irish adds and second hand Mercs still cost a lot.
Some time ago there was a Phaeton with big engine going for sale second hand in Co.Wicklow. I bet someone brought it over from the UK to sell here at a higher price. A second hand Merc would have much better residuals.
Cattleman I forgot to sat the Merc' estate was 'T' reg.

MD