K11 Micra (1995): CV boot replacement - mikem004
1995 K11 Micra
A week ago I had the CV boots replaced. One of them was split and caused an MOT failure. T
Now there is a slight knocking noise a) On the motorway, over 50 mph b) right-hand roundabout at 30 mph.
The mechanic mentioned I might hear a "clicking" noise.
Something that will settle down or should I take the car back? There was no knocking noises apparent from the CV joint before this work.

Thanks
Mike
K11 Micra: CV boot replacement - sierraman
Noise on tuning indicates imminent failure of the joint(O/S).For the mechanic to say you might hear a noise means-a)he can see into the future-b)he beat hell out of the joint with a big lump hammer to get it apart,hence a).
He should have used a cone to fit the boot,thus avoiding the need to dismantle the joint,there is absolutely no reason for a joint to make a noise after having a new boot fitted.If the joint was obviously damaged,due to the split boot,he should have advised you that a new joint was needed and not wasted your money fitting a boot to it.
K11 Micra: CV boot replacement - bell boy
car comes in for cv boots
its a 95 model and worth £600 with a test
mechanic sees that the split booted cv joint has been split for a while and will most probably have dirt and water ingress on the joint
customer wants an mot not a £150 repair bill
mechanic says it may be alright i cleaned the joint as best i could and regreased it and used my aircone tool to fit the proper boot----------------however the joint may still go noisy in a few weeks because the damage is already done,ideally you need a cv joint but try it but i cannot guarantee it will work long term

now then which story happens every day of the week in garages up and down the country?
can you just

OP it will soon need a new cv joint maybe your mechanic will take pity and give you a little leeway,it really depends on the conversation you had at cv boot rubber time

anyway have a nice day,you can even consider a complete s/h joint but then it takes ages to put the gearbox oil in back in as it has to go through the speedo hole
personally i dont even know if you can actually take the vc joint end off on a k11 maybe yes maybe no
K11 Micra: CV boot replacement - mikem004
If the CV joint didn't knock before CV boot replacement, I don't see why it should knock after replacement. Unless the mechanic has damaged the joint as you say.

Mike
K11 Micra: CV boot replacement - bell boy
really?