'95 1171cc - alternator & warning light - Talking Hoarse
My old Clio (1171 cc type "E" engine, poverty spec "Oasis" model) has started showing red (charging) light on dashboard sometimes. Goes out usually if engine is buzzed, but eventually comes back on. May be worse when wet, and has been getting more frequent. Drive belt is secure /tight. When light is out my multimeter shows that the battery is getting charged (14.4v ish), including when loaded (lights on etc) if engine is buzzed.
I suspect alternator (brushes?).
- What do you think?
- Where can I buy alternator brushes?
- if its the regulator is that included in an exchange alternator?
- and how on earth do I get the alternator out without removing the engine? It is sandwiched between the engine & bulkhead, Haynes says take it out over top (after removing wheel arch liner etc), but that would mean removing the inlet manifold! I am speechless .....
Appreciate your wisdom thanks.
Clio '95 1171cc - alternator & warning light - milkyjoe
if it aint broke dont fix it , its prob a bit of oil on the belt making it slip especially in the wet as you pointed out it isnt loose?
Clio '95 1171cc - alternator & warning light - Talking Hoarse
Thanks milkyjoe. The red light can be on for yonks sometimes, with no howl from belt slip (it does sometimes howl briefly if you switch on lights etc). So I fear that the battery will go flat if car is used in wet / at night etc and leave my kids stranded.
Anyone know how to get the alternator out? Dont we just love Renault!
Clio '95 1171cc - alternator & warning light - jc2
If it slips when you turn the lights on,belt is not tight enough.
Clio '95 1171cc - alternator & warning light - milkyjoe
does the alternator use more of the engines power when you put all the lights and blowers on? i just thought it whizzed round on a couple of bearings powered by a belt, the more revs the more output, obviously regulated and converted to dc from ac thru the diode pack, i cant see by putting all the toys on at once is going to strain the drivebelt or does it?
Yes;early alternators had approx.25/30a.output-modern ones produce anything from 50 to 150 amps(there are higher output ones).Thats 1800 watts or 1.8 Kw.and is needed to power all the modern electrics/electronics.You don't get anything for nothing and these high loads are a reason for going to multi-V belts.Any increased electrical load on the car will reduce performance and increase fuel consumption-just as turning on A/C does.Most modern cars with ECU will turn off the A/C compressor and some will reduce the charging rate for a short period when you go to WOT to give you max.performance.
Clio '95 1171cc - alternator & warning light - Mookfish
I had a Renault 19 that did the same, I never managed to find the problem as it always worked properly when I had a chance to look at it. I just lived with it and it never let me down. I just carried one of those jump start booster packs as well as jump leads just in case.
Another thought-could be either worn pulley and/or worn belt.If the belt bottoms on the pulley instead of driving on the sides,you'll never get sufficient drive.
Clio '95 1171cc - alternator & warning light - bell boy
i would consider the commutator brushes to be on their last legs
'95 1171cc - alternator & warning light - Screwloose

A slipping belt will virtually never show a warning light unless the alternator slows to nearly a full stop. I'd agree with the OP that this sounds very like a brush-wear problem - that will get worse.

Whether the brushbox/regulator can be replaced depends on which of many different makes of alternator Renault fitted to this car.

Changing an alternator on a Clio is a joy; release the bottom joint on the suspension and remove the driveshaft.
Thank you all indeed for your kind devotion!
Driveshaft & suspension arm indeed to get an alternator out eh? Renaults are indeed such a joy (not my words) !!
Anyone suggest where to go to get replacement alternator /commutator brushes as they sound worth a go? (- but if the effort is so much then the £100 for an exchange alternator pales into less significance).
'95 1171cc - alternator & warning light - Screwloose
TH

First identify your alternator. There may be some numbers on it - usually cunningly hidden on the side that faces the block.....

Then try your local LSUK.
'95 1171cc - alternator & warning light - jc2
I have rebrushed a Citroen alternator-unfortuneately,I can't remember if it was a Ducellier or a S.E.V. but it did have a separate control unit.Lucas ACR brushes with a small amount of filing fitted and worked.
Thanks again to all for your help. All sorted with a replacement alternator. Thanks to those nice people at GSFCarParts who supplied the alternator at a rather decent price. And it all came out / went back without remove of the driveshaft - took the battery off, and squeezed the alternator around the back of the engine / over the steering rack up & out over the gearbox. Yippee!