- first impressions - Avant
So with very little delay, as there was one with parking sensors in the VW system, a VW Golf estate 2.0 TDI replaced the B-class last Wednesday, with not a wet eye in the house.

So far so good - very good.

Best things -

Even from brand new, there's plenty of response to the accelerator. VAG diesels take up to 10,000 miles to loosen up fully, so there's an even better time coming. I'll follow HJ's recommendations for running in - as always, many thanks HJ. There's an element of the sudden rush of shove, but this is a 140 rather than a 170 and it's easy to keep it under control.

Gearchange is a delight - I went for a manual partly to save money partly as I can control the revs and minimise turbo lag. DSG is good, but I still think for a diesel automatic you need 2.5 litres or more.

Ride / handling compromise excellent - much better than any of its predecessors, especially the lovely direct steering response. For normal driving I don't think it's inferior to the benchmark Focus or even a BMW.

Comfort and accommodation are fine - the seat has proper wheeled adjustment for backrest and lumbar support and the steering wheel moves both ways as it should.

Not-so-good -

Only niggle so far is that you have to take the rear headrests off to lower the seat. But we don't often have people in the back so I'll leave them off most of the time.

If you wonder why I didn't wait till September to get a 57 registration, the Mercedes, so they said, would have been worth less in Septemer than August. Which being trasnslated means that the VW dealer had their August quota to make up. But I don't think it maks much difference nowadays. Being the first of a new model, the Golf estate should hold its value well anyway.

I'm going to enjoy driving again now without having to resort to the Mini. Wish me luck.
VW Golf estate - first impressions - Pugugly {P}
Its better than a Focus, had a hired one on Friday to do a job of work.
VW Golf estate - first impressions - daveyjp
Following the running in advice in a diesel is easy as there is never any need to do more than 3,000 revs! I more or less followed it in my A3 170PS and in 3,000 miles it hasn't used a drop of oil. I had a bit of fun yesterday when someone in a new Astra 1.7 diesel thought he would leave me as we entered a dual carriageway!
VW Golf estate - first impressions - cheddar
Its better than a Focus had a hired one on Friday to do a job
of work.

Havent driven a Golf estate, and I admit it has certain appeal, though I cant see how it can be called better than a Focus when the Focus competes in all areas and has an infinitley more refined diesel engine.
VW Golf estate - first impressions - wantone
The Golf looks about the best smaller size estate to replace our mkv hatch and Focus estate.
The only thing that has put me off is the lack off a decent size petrol.
What do you think the chances are that they will fit the 2.0T under the bonnet as 1.6 just isn't big enough in my opinion.
Glad you like it Avant, it's the only one my Mrs has liked so far.
VW Golf estate - first impressions - MichaelR
What I dont understand about the new Golf Estate is why its only available with a range of very low powered engine.

Why is there no 2.0T FSI? Where is the 2.0 TDI 170?
VW Golf estate - first impressions - Pugugly {P}
A GTi version would sell in bucketloads - if only to the frustrated father brigade.
VW Golf estate - first impressions - wantone
Thats me!!
I'm in the frustrated father brigade, Thats why i want the 2.0t under the bonnet.
My golf at the minute is the 2.0t diesel and although i like it i think i want to go back to petrol.
Only thing is when you have felt the shove while driving one of these,a 1.6 petrol just ain't gonna cut the mustard.
VW Golf estate - first impressions - Mad Maxy
I would have been interested in a GTI estate - see 320d ownership report elsewhere.
VW Golf estate - first impressions - Avant
You can have a GTI estate - it's called a Skoda Octavia vRS. You can get the 197 bhp 2.0 FSI petrol engine or the 140 and 170 diesels.

I was very tempted, but doing 20,000 miles a year I'm better off with a diesel, and the petrol FSI prefers super-unleaded which is expensive. I didn't find all that much difference in normal driving between the 140 and 170 diesels: if you try them and feel there is enough difference, then go for the Octavia over the Golf. It has slightly (but only slightly) more luggage room than the Golf, and comparing the cars with the same engine (140 diesel) the Golf is likely to hold its value better.
VW Golf estate - first impressions - dieselicious
The Golf Estate is as ugly as sin, the lines just don't flow at all.

Just my 2p worth.
VW Golf estate - first impressions - Avant
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sin can be quite attractive.....
VW Golf estate - first impressions - dieselicious
And then there's sinning with a very beautiful woman, and sinning with a downright ugly one!!!

Each to his/her own, but some people need a little direction...... :-)
VW Golf estate - first impressions - PoloGirl
Glad you like it Avant. Welcome back to the world of proper car ownership! ;-)

VW Golf estate - first impressions - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Golf Estate looks OK.
BUT you can still buy a Passat Estate for the same money and it is well equipped. That is why I bought a Passat rather than a Golf- seemed much better value.