Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - Lou_O

With a budget of around 5.5k, which one would get the vote?

We'll need a baby seat soon and I want to get a car that's practical and not going to let me down. Would be good to have something that's a good drive and not too harsh on the senses.

Was going to look at a Golf 1.8T today but having read around a bit it seems they have an undeserved reputation for reliability - the facts don't seem to match the reality.

Cheers,

L
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - craig-pd130
The Passat B5.5 (on which the Superb is based) is a great family barge.

I've had a Passat PD130 diesel for 4.5 years and it's been brilliant -- quick, comfortable, lots of toys (CD, climate etc), fairly refined, huge boot, and it's averaged a real 47mpg in 60,000 miles.

Drawbacks -- handling is, er, "safe". It understeers. A lot. Don't look for feedback or driver involvement. At the sort of prices you're looking at, make sure it's got a full main dealer history (i.e. the proper VAG PD oil has been used) and that the cambelt has been changed at 60K miles.

Also, if the front suspension "clonks" then walk away. That's the upper suspension balljoints, £400+ each side to fix. Some cars' joints die early, others don't.

Mine died at the second MOT, which was painful. Apart from this blot on the copybook, nothing has gone wrong with mine at all.

I did a long test drive in the Accord model you're looking at, nice to drive and refined, but the engine needed a LOT of provoking to make it wake up. Frankly, the engine felt flat to me.

Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - 659FBE
I have a diesel Superb and would largely agree with the above. If anything, the Superb handles a bit better than does the Passat due to its longer wheelbase - but make sure you have room to park the thing.

I'm assuming you want a diesel. - if not, don't consider the Superb as the PD diesel engine is its saving grace. At your budget you would find a 100 or 130 PS engine - either will do and don't discount the 100PS unit unless you tow. The later 140PS Cat IV engine is a pile of trouble.

Again, considering your budget, the Japanese diesels of the age you will be buying just don't compare with the PD for all out efficiency. Service history (correct oil, cambelt) has been mentioned. Look out for rainwater ingress - a Google on the Passat for this problem will keep you in reading for a month.

The pre - '05 model year (10th digit in VIN) Superbs don't have folding rear seats which can be a major shortcoming. Even the later seats don't fold properly but I decided it would do - just.

The Superb is an excellent long distance cruiser and towcar which are the jobs mine has to do. The rear legroom is exceptional and the fuel economy is likewise excellent. It goes like a steam train and uses less fuel than a petrol Fiesta. The base model trim is the one to have - the only worthwhile extra is a cruise control and I managed to get the selling dealer to fit this for me as part of the deal; it's a dead easy job. Beware ex taxis - a lot of Superbs are consigned to this duty.

So far - reliable.

I've found a decent looking one, from a local independant, and it's the 1.8T petrol with around 50k The diesels do seem the better buy but are more money than I'd like to spend and I just don't do the miles to justify.

I've driven that engine in both Golf and Octavia and it seems fine, haven't yet driven the superb.

I'm not really worried about handling or power so much, we're expecting a baby and I already get 'the look' from the wife as soon as I approach 90+.

In terms of the Accord, I had an S2000 before so I'm used to having to rev Honda engines, that's not a problem, in fact I quite like it as you can just amble along in traffic or put your foot down (whilst avoiding getting 'the look') as required.

Ta,

Lh
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - Kuang
How about an Octavia RS? Plenty of performance, good solid handling, fantastic engines if properly looked after and acres of space. Decent exmples are coming down into the 5k range now. I'm actually considering buying one myself, with the only alternative for me being being the Mk1 Leon Cupra.. which is mechanically pretty much the same anyway :)

The regular 1.8T Octavia would be fine, not fussed about the RS version.

I like the amount of rear space in Superb and Accord, child seats need a bit of space and I'm 6' so have my seat all the way back. Maybe Octavia would be a little tight.

Saying that, I had a drive of a very nice 1.8T Octavia but it had terrible yellowish coloured leather seats. I can honestly say if it hadn't been such a garish colour I'd have parted with my cash there and then.

L
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - concrete
I have both, a 1990 Acord 2.0i petrol with 138,000 still going strong, despite the wifes' best efforts, and a '55 plate diesel Superb Elegance . Both are excellent vehicles, easy to drive, comfortable and quiet. Have been diesel for some 8 years now and really enjoy the drive of a diesel engine, even over the Honda petrol.In terms of sheer lasting power the Honda has obviously nothing to prove being 17 years old, but i am mightily impressed by the Superb in terms of driveability, economy, room and equipment and don't see any reason it would not serve you well for a long time. Your choice is hard, but with two such vehicles you can'y go wrong either way.The secret is to look after them and they will look after you. Best of luck. Concrete.
When I was shopping for my Superb, I found that equal money would buy a much better Superb than an Octavia. I think in Skoda's line-up the Superb is the "lemon" of the fleet and residuals are poor. The Octavia was not heavy enough for my job anyway.

So, you'll get a better car for your money but the residuals will be less good. With a galvanised body, the Superb is a candidate for a long term bangernomic - plenty of know-how and pattern parts/software for the VAG running gear.

If you go to a Skoda dealer you can drive a pretty hard bargain with these cars - they are difficult to shift. Mine was about half list price at under 2 yrs/20k miles.

Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - Gromit {P}
Check real-world MPG on the 1.8T Superb carefully - one long-term test reported overall fuel economy in the mid 20s! The VAG 1.8 turbo engine doesn't enjoy a good reputation for reliability.

I've driven a few of them and I'd encourage you to reconsider the diesel - it suits the car very well. The 140bhp, though, is unpleasant, with a surge of torque coming on stream all at once that doesn't really suit a big laid-back car.

One big advantage of the Superb is, with a child seat or booster seat behind you, you'll still have plenty space to roll back the driver's seat - there's acres of rear leg room in them.

Can't comment on the Accord as I've never even sat into one...

HTH,
Gromit
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - Pendlebury
>>I've had a Passat PD130 diesel for 4.5 years and it's been brilliant
Mine died at the second MOT, which was painful. <<

I think the statement above is typical of VAG ownership more often than not.
At some point early on in the cars life you will be let down on the reliability front.

I also agree that comparing a 2.0 petrol to a diesel then the petrol will feel flat - but that is not really comparing apples for apples. If you comapre a 2.0 VAG petrol to 2.0 Honda petrol then I think you will prefer the refinement of the Honda (IMO).

As concrete states 17 years+ trouble free ownership in a Honda is probably a safe bet - it all depends what you are looking for - if it is reliability and longevity then my view is the Honda is a much better engineered car that will last longer without as many problems.

You will obvioulsy get a much newer Skoda for the money but there is a reason for that - the Honda is a better car.
Typically, although the Honda will be well out of warranty - if you get one with fmdsh then they will still be sympathetic to any major problems - my families experience is that a VW/Audi dealership will not want to know - Skoda may be different becuase the do have better delaerships.

In summary - go fo rthe Honda if you want reliability in longevity - go for a brilliant Skoda that may die after 2 years if not.
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - Gromit {P}
Pendlebury said, regarding warranties, "a VW/Audi dealership will not want to know - Skoda may be different becuase the do have better delaerships."

Not so, I'm afraid. IME, Skoda's customer "service" is no better than the rest of the VAG group. Gromit Snr's Octavia stripped its water pump impeller, throwing the timing belt, at 34,000 miles and just out of warranty. The bill came to almost ?1000, with no offer of - or effort to obtain - any goodwill from the main dealer who had supplied the car (Gromit Snr's second bought from them) and serviced it from new.

I do like the Superb, but for my money I'd buy the best diesel I could find at the end of its warranty and maintain it at a good independent instead.
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - tyro
When I was shopping for my Superb I found that equal money would buy a
much better Superb than an Octavia. I think in Skoda's line-up the Superb is the
"lemon" of the fleet and residuals are poor.

A quick look at Autotrader shows that if one is looking for a 2004 Tdi, you will pay about the same price for a Superb as for a Fabia.
A quick look at Autotrader shows that if one is looking for a 2004 Tdi
you will pay about the same price for a Superb as for a Fabia.

A quick look at Autotrader also shows that there is only 1 petrol engined Superb from 2004 for sale, as opposed to 49 diesels. There's probably something relevant in that...

L
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - LHM
Sorry to throw something else in, but you might like to consider a Volvo S80 D5. Nice automatic option available.
Sorry to throw something else in but you might like to consider a Volvo S80
D5. Nice automatic option available.

I've got an auto at the moment and am looking forward to going back to manual :)

Also, the wife refuses all Volvos on principle, I quite like the smaller ones, but there you go.

L
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi Lou,

I have both the small child and a saloon and have regretted the body style ever since I got it.

A saloon might have a big boot but you will always have all sorts of paraphenalia to get for the child that will inevitably come in odd sized boxes that are always just that very tiny bit too big to fit through the gap in the boot. I had an estate just after our daughter was born but swiched to the saloon as I wanted a Volvo and my budget wouldn't go to a V70.

Is a saloon really what you need?

Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - NowWheels
Is a saloon really what you need?

Maybe this is going to be a really tall baby who needs the massive legroom of a Superb rather the pushchair-accommodating boot of an state car?
By paraphanalia think Cot, Buggy, mattress new furniture for baby's room, changing unit - all the things new parents spend a fortune on at Ikea / Mothercare / ToysRUs, etc.

Trust me, it never ends. My daughter is 7 now and there will always be something flippin' hard to get into the boot - especially remembering that you won't be able to fold both seats flat if baby is in the back in the car seat................

Coming from having a Mondeo hatch at the moment, which is pretty good when it comes to practicality, I did think for a while that the saloon shape might not be ideal. I really like the look of the A4 Estate, but there's just not much chance of finding a decent one for the money I'm paying, especially when compared against, for example the Superb. I reckon the same money buys a 3 yr old Superb or an A4 Est from around 2001 or so.

This doesn't get any easier, I must have been through about a dozen different car ideas, some of them several times...

I've kind of ruled out 5dr Golf as the boot isn't really very big and there's not that much space in the back for child seat compared to others.

Octavia would be OK, except I'm struggling to find one at the right price with the right engine that hasn't done massive miles.

Superb looks good on paper as it's relatively cheap to buy for what you get but could be the wrong shape.

Accord hatch should be OK.

Maybe I've answered my own question there, can't really find anything to fault the Accord.

Thanks for the comments so far :)

L

Just to be clear, it was the front suspension ball joint that died on my Passat (at 54K miles and 4 years), not the entire car!

I prefer a saloon with an assymetric fold rear seat to an estate if the carrying capacity is sufficient. The Superb has a big boot, but the access hole is too small so it's no use for big objects.

Estates are a cash cow for the vehicle builders (UK image is strong) and most of them go around empty at the back. A saloon with seat fold is cheaper, quieter and more secure - most people can't be bothered with the estate's load cover. If you have only one child, you can fold 1/3 of a later Superb's seat and still fit the isofix child seat. When the kid(s) are older, there are 3 lap diagonal belts in the back.

If you have only one child you can fold 1/3 of a later Superb's seat
and still fit the isofix child seat. When the kid(s) are older there are 3
lap diagonal belts in the back.

Now that's more like it :)

When did this get introduced, could be just the thing. Although that means it'll almost certainly be a diesel, there are very few later model Superb with petrol engines it seems.

Thanks,

L
See post No. 3. Model year '05. If you look at the VIN (on windscreen) the 10th character is the model year 5 = '05.

It looks as though your line of thought concerning these cars is following the one I had when I bought mine. If so, to save you a bit of time, you'll find that there is a fairly narrow time window in which you can get the folding rear seats and the 130 PS Cat III 1.9 litre AWX diesel - which for me was mandatory.

My car is 54 registration - cars to this spec will be 54 and a few 05. The engine build code is on a paper label on the cambelt cover and also on a label inside the spare wheel well.

I don't know if the Superbs have a 6-speed manual option on the PD130, on the Passats it's a great combination as you get the higher-torque engine too
The 6 speed box on a VAG North South installation is not good. There have been too many reports of failures.

Looking at the parts list, I'm surprised a manual gearbox needs an oil pump and cooler. This suggests to me that the bearing loadings are too high, probably because the pinion bearings are closer together in order to accomodate the 6th speed. Admittedly, the 6 speeder probably has - theoretically - a higher torque capacity to suit the later diesels.

The 5 speed box is reliable even with remapped engines. The torque spread on the diesels is so wide that 6 speeds are academic - especially as the top gear ratio is almost the same. Cynic as I am, I think the 6 speeder was originally a marketing sop for Audi which has now filtered down to the Skodas as time moves on. The gearchange is not brilliant anyway, so 5 of them will do.

Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - flunky
A saloon might have a big boot but you will always have all sorts of
paraphenalia to get for the child that will inevitably come in odd sized boxes that
are always just that very tiny bit too big to fit through the gap in
the boot. I had an estate just after our daughter was born but swiched to
the saloon as I wanted a Volvo and my budget wouldn't go to a V70.

My S80 fits our large pram-type pushchair nicely, plus just over half the price of the same V70.

Not sure about odd boxes, we fit in LOADS more stuff into my car compared to my father's Almera when I moved recently, fold-flat boots, and the internet is very handy these days for buying things like washing machines - no need to put in the back of the car. You can use the £3k saving to pay for delivery fees in the unlikely event something won't fit (not a problem I've had yet).

Used estates, just too expensive, not worth it, not necessary unless you need the space EVERY DAY, and for a pushchair that's not the case, any pushchair will fit in a large saloon just fine, plus room for baggage, shopping, etc.
All true Flunky. My S60 boot is huge, the only problem is the access to it.

Perfect examples are I have a TV to move from one house to another - old type 28" wide screen CRT. Would not fit into the boot of the S60 nor into the back seats or even with the front seat folded flat as none of the openings to the car would let it in. Washing machines similar problem, table and 4 chairs I want to get to the car boot sale, fridge I want to take to the council tip, the list goes on.

There are many times I have cursed replacing a Mondeo estate for a saloon. In all other respects the S60 is a blinder and I love it to bits. It would be a superb choice for Lou - very safe too.

I just think of every time I have looked at a box, looked at the car and thought "oh pink fluffy dice"

But there's absolutely no rear legroom in the S60. I have the use of one of these cars occasionally - perfectly OK as a car but what did they do with all the space? It's a reverse Tardis.

S60s hold their value well. It's the lemon status of the Superb which makes it a used bargain - as long as you have its future mapped out.

Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - flunky
But there's absolutely no rear legroom in the S60. I have the use of one
of these cars occasionally - perfectly OK as a car but what did they do
with all the space? It's a reverse Tardis.

S80s are cheaper than S60s (old shape S80s), and will have the legroom.
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - Big John
My Superb has proven to be a very good family cruiser The 100PS PD engine (would have bought the 130 but the 100 PS was very very cheap!) performs surprisingly well especially on the motorway and regularly tops 50mpg. The boot is very big but not quite as big as my Octavia but will still hold many a pram / travel cot etc.. The rear seat accommodation is truly amazing with huge amounts of legroom along with centre arm rest, power point, cup holders and air vents perfect for keeping young ones happy in the back. (especially my rather tall 11 year old son!) The handling is reported as being an issue but I don?t find it too bad, the ride is brilliant though. My car is the Classic but I?ve added cruise control to it. I intend keeping it but if it had an incident then I would replace it with another. I was a little disappointed with the headlights but an upgrade using Osram Silverstars made a huge difference albeit somewhat difficult to change.
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - spinner
VAG 1.8T's have all sorts of reliability problems; the 130 diesel is good though.

I doubt you'll get an Accord CDTi for 5500, unless it's on a very high mileage.

An iVTEC (2L) should be available for that budget (70k+ miles) - a very well put together car and a good engine.

The iVTEC is also available in the Honda Stream, which has a lot more space and maybe more suitable for your needs than the Japanese Accord saloon. In fact, look at that.

Alternatively, the previous generation Accord also comes in hatchback, and is very reliable - but does have a bit of a thirst for petrol.

Also, beware Honda main dealer servicing costs and a decline in service quality.

My vote would go with a Ford Mondeo hatchback - altogether more capable car than the Accord and the Superb.
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - MichaelR
If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen.

Alternatively the previous generation Accord also comes in hatchback and is very reliable - but
does have a bit of a thirst for petrol.

That's what I bought today, the previous Accord didn't really figure in the budget, there were a few around in the price range, all with mega-miles.

pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id...8

It set me back less than 4k and has less than 50k miles on Y plate. I've no reason to think it won't give us many years of cheap motoring.
Also beware Honda main dealer servicing costs and a decline in service quality.

It won't be going to the main dealer. The dealer here in Southampton has done more than enough to make sure I never set foot in their place again :)
My vote would go with a Ford Mondeo hatchback - altogether more capable car than
the Accord and the Superb.

I've had 3 Mondeos now and they've all been OK, maybe it's a better can than Accord or Superb, but I just couldn't face getting another one - needed a change. I'll be able to make a judgement on that in the next year or so.

I would have bought a Superb, if I could have found a decent diesel in the price range, but there just aren't enough of them around.

Cheers,

Lou
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - spinner
Ok - good choice. It came top of the warranty direct reliabilty survey of cars over the past 10 years, and it has very good built quality. Better engines than the Mondeo, as well.

Get it serviced in line with the schedule, every 9k miles or 1 year, plus ideally change the oil every 4.5k, and keep an eye on oil levels -
this particular VTEC (is it the 1.8?), can use some over long motorway trips.
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - Pendlebury
Very good choice lou - colour looks nice - I expect it to give you years of trouble free motoring.
With less than 50K it is only just run in practically.
Honda engines serviced at 9k as spinner suggests will last 200K plus easily.
Skoda Superb or Honda Accord? - Mercian
I'd go for an estate too if I had pushchairs and paraphenallia to consider (been there...). My other half has a new shape V70 as her weekend "garden centre" car which gets used for carrying plants, shopping etc. up to the brim evry weekend, when her MX-5 can't do the business . It's the second V70 we've had. Ours is a Y reg 2.4 (170hp) SE auto which was £5.5k with 75k on the clock. Servicing isn't cheap but it strong, comfortable, well equipped and very practical and been very reliable. Awful turning circle and alternatively floaty/crashy ride are about the only downsides...

Estates are so useful that I wouldn't buy another saloon but its horses for courses I guess.