Ideal car for Taxi - LinuxGeek
I've applied for my taxi licence in my local council and waiting to hear from them. In the mean time I'm looking at my options with regards to either buying my own car or driving one of the taxi firm's on 60/40 or 50/50 basis depends who I go with! It'll be a part-time job. I've been doing pizza deliveries for over 3 years as a part time driver so I know my way round. Would it be worth me selling my Volvo and buying a car that'll be less than 5 years old or just drive one of the taxi firm's cars? I would love to hear from you guys and in particular from any taxi or ex-taxi driver. Thanks
Ideal car for Taxi - local yokel
You need to check the council's requirements for licensed taxis - they will specify age etc. You would almost certainly be better off using the firm's vehicles to start with. If the gearbox falls out you just go back to the yard and get another car.
Ideal car for Taxi - movilogo
I've seen couple of Toyota Avensis minicabs with over 400,000 miles on clock.
Ideal car for Taxi - leef
I've seen couple of Toyota Avensis minicabs with over 400 000 miles on clock.

Agreed. In manchester where I live a lot of taxi's are Toyota's, couple of my friends do the taxi's and they have close to 300,000 miles on there cars. Not 100% sure but I think the car HAS to Silver or White? well in Manchester anyway :)
Even where I look the majority of taxis are Avensis, Peugeot 406, Passat and Octavia. Colour isn't an issue for my council..luckily :)
Ideal car for Taxi - Stuartli
Probably 85 to 90 per cent of the large number of taxis in my town are Octavias (along with one or two Superbs) - as with MazMan colour doesn't seem to matter.

I do know that the taxi drivers have a very high regard for their Skodas, especially as the fact that very reasonable taxi fares compared to many other towns and cities means the service is very much in demand throughout a full 24 hours.

In fact if there are two or more of you, it normally costs about the same or just a little more to use a taxi door to door rather than the otherwise excellent bus services.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Ideal car for Taxi - Vansboy
Here in Luton, they manage to keep L M & N plate Cavaliers running & looking reasonably presentable, too.

I'd be inclined to rent the cab firms vehicle, unless I was doing an airport run, only, type service.

Come to think of it, where's Dave Taxi Driver, these days???

VB
Thanks for all your posts so far guys, I've started my taxi licence process and once I've it in my pocket I'll look at the car options.........I mean whether to buy my own or start off with a taxi firm's own car.