GoCompare - cold calling problem? - David Horn
{Dunno if this falls short of the naming and shaming policy - since it can't really exist in a censored form please feel free to delete entirely if necessary.}

A couple of days ago I got an insurance quote from gocompare, the comparison site advertised on the TV. Since then, I've had 6 spam emails, one letter, and 14 (yep, fourteen!) phone calls from the various insurance companies following up on the quote. Obviously, when this thing autocompletes the form it doesn't tick the "do not contact me" box. It's driving me up the wall - I was fairly unpleasant to the last person who called and the phone is now switched off.

GoCompare - cold calling problem? - dxp55
I also have a load of spam phone calls and I seem to be lucky that I also have a broadband line with my broadband package - when the land line rings so does BB line - now when I answer the landline the BB line keeps ringing for another six rings so as soon as phone ring (got caller display)I pick up both phones and hold them together so caller gets the rings - seems to have stopped ringing me now -- my outburst of french at one caller didn't seem to put them off but this seems to have worked. - If I am not at computer and can see it's a 0800/0845 or international call I just lift receiver and say nothing then if someone says hello I say hello back - if they say is that Joe bloggs I say is that Joe Bloggs - I repeat word for word what they say - it doesn't cost me anything and breaks up a boring day sometimes. :-))
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - ForumNeedsModerating
Was it necessary though, to give them your phone #? I wouldn't have. Out of idle curiousity , I read their T&C's, they do state that by completing the form you agree to their 'Privacy Statement' provisions (linked on their home page) & then they submit the info you provide to those sites (or brokers) they get quotes from, so when you entered your phone number, presumably that was submitted too - hence your phone calls. They also state that their procedure (for automatic form filling, effectively) endeavours to 'tick' any 'do not communicate my info' type boxes on the sites too.

The onus really is on you to understand the effective contract you've agreed to, I can't, prima facie, see anything they've done wrong. I also think being less than polite to agents, who call in good faith, is rather infra-dig.
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - Sprice
I also think being less than polite
to agents who call in good faith is rather infra-dig.

Not really, its what the PITAs deserve sometimes! Anyway, I presume the OP is not registered with the telephone preference service (TPS) which stops cold calls etc. Google it and register (its free).
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - Dalglish
.. I've had 6 spam emails, one letter, and 14 (yep, fourteen!) phone calls from the various insurance companies following up on the quote

as woodbines says, partly this is your own fault. see how altea-ego dealt with this:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=54658&...e

also, as woodbines says, read the small print on their website:
www.gocompare.com/about/terms.aspx?BrandID=6112007...1

Complaints
We set ourselves very high standards and look to provide these high standards in everything we do, .....
write to the Compliance Officer at the above address. The Compliance Officer is responsible for monitoring the quality of our service and will ensure that your complaint is dealt with correctly. We will acknowledge your complaint within five business days ....
Privacy statement
Data protection
...... We may also use the information you supply to us to keep you informed of any new products or remind you when your renewal may be due.
If you are not happy for your data to be used in this way, please send an email to unsubscribe@gocompare.com and we will remove you from our mailing lists.

Unsolicited e-mails
Most sites will send a confirmation email once a quote has been completed on their site, but as we go to a large number of sites with our technology, you could be bombarded by emails from our partners. To prevent this from happening we will not opt-in to marketing communications on any of the underlying sites. By taking this route for you, you should not receive any communication from any of the providers other than those outlined in this Privacy Statement. Although we cannot guarantee this we do have contractual arrangements in place to prevent our partners doing this, so please let us know if you do experience any problems. .....

Removing data
If you would like us to remove any personal information from our records, then please write to us at:
Data Protection Officer,
Confidentiality
We will endeavour to treat all your personal information as private and confidential. Other than under the terms of this Privacy Statement we will not disclose any of your information to anyone. ...

so now you know the solution, what is the problem?

GoCompare - cold calling problem? - OldHand
A good way of dealing with these people is either a police whistle down the phone every time they ring or when they ask for you just say I'll go and get him, put the phone in the fridge/a drawer and go back tot hwatever it was you were doing...........either that or just do as Dalglish suggested.
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - jc2
I went onto another comparison website last week-less than half quoted,the ones that did were not particularly cheap,some quoted for different things to what I had requested and the company I am already with refused to quote me!!!!!
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - Collos25
I have never seen one of these compare sites actually come up with cheapest quote available my own insurance company going direct is some 30% cheaper.An old addage nobody does owt for nowt
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - Altea Ego
I have never seen one of these compare sites actually come up with cheapest quote
available

I did.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - movilogo
The trick is not use your real name, phone# in these sites. Just use all other details correctly. Get who offers cheapest quote and then direclty deal with them just before buying the policy.

GoCompare - cold calling problem? - MichaelR
How is this Cold Calling when you have requested a quote from the companies in question?
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - LHM
Try telling them to "GoSomethingSomething" :-)
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - David Horn
Argh. Another 6 this morning, although this time I told the last one that I'd died in an unfortunate accident involving some skintight PVC trousers and a lemon. Line went very quiet then they put the phone down.
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - Altea Ego
died in an unfortunate accident involving some skintight PVC trousers and a lemon. Line went
very quiet then they put the phone down.

OWwwwww thats made my eyes water.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - Red Baron
I always though that it was an orange!

Seriously though, on these things, my phone number always is 01234 567890 and e-mails can be blocked.
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - Dipstick
Spooky. If you change just one digit that actually is the phone number of a family member.
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - madf
I find the most effective reply is:
"I'm sorry, I'm not interested". Said firmly.. and put the phone down AT ONCE.

No recalls etc...works every time.
madf
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - Mapmaker
>>I find the most effective reply is:I'm sorry, I'm not interested". Said firmly..

And then allow a moment to say goodbye. These poor devils have a job to do, it's not their fault. And they're sworn at left right and centre.

If I'm home alone I'm inclined to see if I cannot get them to laugh. Be nice to people, not nasty, if they've done nothing to hurt you - as they haven't. Makes you feel better.

GoCompare - cold calling problem? - nick
I've used confused.com and not had this problem. They found a quote much cheaper than elsewhere (with Marks and Spencer). The odd thing is, I had to ring M&S to query something which wasn't clear, they said they'd process it there and then while I was on the phone and it was a further £20 cheaper than the online quote. Odd. I kept quiet.
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - ForumNeedsModerating
Well, well, people do seem to get rather upset over what, after all, is just telephone calls or a bit more spam. How many times do those irate posters here make calls/ send emails to organisations to ask questions about products, services etc.? How much time do you waste when making sales enquiries you've no intention of following up? Or going into shops to try out/ask questions about goods you subsequently buy online?

Yes, lots of times I imagine. Really people lighten up & get real.

It's also rather sad & bad mannered to boast about your inventive methods of being rude to people on the phone - they're only people trying to earn a living, like you. If you really want to stop these things, sign up to Telephone Preference Service & tick the correct boxes on the online forms - oh, and don't forget to put the 'No Hawkers or Circulars' sign on your gate....

The TPS does work - I did this for my mum when she was getting various sales related calls, they stopped.

Spam emails? Simple, either don't tend one or where you have to make sure you have a secondary free web-based account like yahoo, google, hotmail etc. - these tend to get spam anyway, I always do this - don't use your 'personal' (isp provided) email address for anything other than friends , family, work or trusted companies/organisations & use (or learn how to) your junk email filter.

The general rule: don't give out any info you wouldn't be happy to write on a postcard, is paramount. No matter what privacy policy or good intentions an organisation might have, personal information on the interweb generally follows the rules of Brownian Motion.
TPs doesn't apply to non-UK based companies and when you've had 5 calls in a row offering you a product you don't want then your patience wears thin.

Police whistle down the phone usually ends the calls.
GoCompare - cold calling problem? - peterb
"I've used confused.com and not had this problem."

Me neither. They saved £000s on Mrsb's last-but-one renewal.

Blowing a loud whistle down the 'phone is extremely cruel and unpleasant behaviour.
Agreed and so is repeatedly ringing me after being instructed not to do so.