Merc A Class front strut replacement - aahbarnes
My A class has failed it's MOT on a broken front coil spring, the spring support plate has also cracked so a new spring and strut is needed. I'm picking up the parts later, but need a little help with the fitting.

I can see how to remove the bottom of the strut and separate it from the drop link, but a little unsure how to remove the top. Under the bonnet at the top of the strut there is a single large centre bolt. The thread inside this has a hex key hole. There are also two torx type bolt heads to the side of the large nut, and also two plastic clip things.

I am thinking if I remove the two torx type bolts then the strut will be released and then once it is off the car I can compress the spring and undo the large nut which will release the top plate and the spring.

Is this correct? Also what are the two plastic clips at the top of the strut?

Thanks for any help
Andrew
Merc A Class front strut replacement - Cliff Pope
I don't know the particular car, but that's the standard set up. The smaller bolts secure the top mounting to the car, the big nut holds the strut to the top mounting, against the pressure of the spring. Obviously you realise do not on any account release the large nut without having compressed the spring. But it might be worth loosening the nut first while it is still on the car, or taking it to a tyre place to get them to free it with their air tool. Once the strut is off the car it is not so easy to get the nut loose.

On some cars it is possible to get the spring compressors on in situ, but usually I think space is too restricted.
There are people who claim you can release the nut and spring by getting lots of people to sit on the wing, and then slowly releasing it. Not something I'd fancy trying - springs can kill.
Merc A Class front strut replacement - aahbarnes
Thanks for the advice, all sorted now! Hardest bit was using the spring compressors, very scarey.