Random starting problems with MK3 Fiesta - Rattle
As some of you may remember I've been having problems with my Fiesta burning oil. N reg 1.1 Kent engine with fuel injection.

Anyway I took it for the MOT in June and amazingly it passed with only a seized rear brake cylinder causing it to fail. The machanic but some stop smoke in to get it through the MOT and it passed on the emissions no problem.

A few weeks later the oil warning light came on so I decided to switch from 15/30 to 15/40 as I got sick of the blue smoke and this actually cured it, it still burns oil but nothing like as much and there is no smoke at all now.

However twice since changing the oil (twice in 3 weeks) the car has refused to start for no apparant reason. The battery, coil pack, HT leads are all healthy and it was getting a spark. I removed the air filter and turned the key for a constant 5 minutes (I am aware this is doing the starter and battery no good) and both timed it finally started after a loud of back fires and huge amounts of black smoke coming out the back.

Then the car remains puffy until taking it round the block and the smoke goes. Once the car starts it runs lovely.

Am I right in thinking this is a problem with sticking valves? There is all sorts of rattles from the camshaft area when cold.

Can anybody else suggest what I can do why does turning the key for a constant 5 minutes cause the explosion and then make it start? I assume the camshaft is turning as a result and thus finally opening them stuck valves?

It is a shame because apart from the odd bit of rust the car is in great working order so I am a bit weary of selling it, its done 104k. The breaks, suspension, steering, alternator, starter, battery, gearbox, clutch seems to be perfect.

Thanks.

Random starting problems with MK3 Fiesta - madf
Youngest son's Mark 3 1.1 Fiesta had same problems. We came to conclusion it was due to the fuel pump pressure falling off during starting. So he switched on ignition and left it to pump for 5 seconds and then tried engaging starter motor. Worked.

Other problems included dirt on HT distributor (clean it and WD40). Castrol hi mileage oil works well for these engines.
madf
Random starting problems with MK3 Fiesta - jc2
He has been told in the past to try 20w/50.
Random starting problems with MK3 Fiesta - milkyjoe
He has been told in the past to try 20w/50.

i use castrol high mileage i think its 15/40 and it supposedly has special qualities that help to condition crank seals and stop them leaking to some extent, i can honestly say it does work , ive tried using bog standard 20/50 and i always get an oily burning smell but it doesnt happen when ive used the catrol stuff
Random starting problems with MK3 Fiesta - the original horse
put ngk plugs in it, they may be sparking in the open air, but not under compression, but to be honest from the mileage and oil use you quote the engine sounds worn out and when cold has a very low compression anyway.