99 Megane - fog lights on when braking - RobJ29A
Hello all, I'm a first time poster, but a long time reader.

I've just been out in my 1999 Megane hatch, and the first time I have used it in the dark for ages. When braking the rear fog light telltail dimly lights up on the dash - indicating the fog lights are "sort of" on. I've asked the missus to press the brakes while I've had a look 'round the back of the car but I can't tell really if they are on or not. I'll take the brake/side bulbs out tomorrow when I have time (and when I can see what I'm doing!) and then check again. It looks like an earthing problem to me - the thing is I have zero experience with auto electrical stuff, is this likely to be something that's relatively painless to sort or is it a garage job? Is it worth pointing out that the car has a towbar as I was wondering if the towing electrics might have something to do with it?

I appreciate any advice & guidance you may have.

Rob
Megane - fog lights on when braking - Screwloose
Rob

If the rest of the rear lights don't go dim, [or flash with the indicators/reverse lights etc.] then it could well be a short in the 7-pin socket. [They corrode.]

To eliminate the socket; follow the cable up and disconnect the red [brake] wire; or the blue [or purple on a cut-out socket] fog light wire.

Or if the fog/brake lights are in the hatch [are they?] then it could be a broken wire to the hatch.
Megane - fog lights on when braking - elekie&a/c doctor
I would think you have bad earth connections to the rear light clusters.Remove the multi-plugs to the light units and check the contacts and plastic connector blocks for signs of burning/overheating.If there is evidence of this ,then a seperate earth wire can be installed out of the multiplug onto the lampholder circuit board.hth
Megane - fog lights on when braking - Big John
I agree, this is a classic symptom of a bad earth on the rear light cluster(s).
Megane - fog lights on when braking - RobJ29A
Hi all, thanks all for your replies.

I've checked the lights properly now. When the tail lights are switched off, there is no visible effect to the lights at the back of the car when braking. However when the tail lights are on, the N/S brake light sort of "flashes" then works properly, the centre brake lights on the hatch also exibit this. Of course as I descriobed the telltail on the dash still dimly lights up. I've checked the earths but can only find an earth attachment to the cars body on the O/S cluster. The multiblock connectors on both sides and the circuit boards of both clusters are corrosion and burn free. I've got to add that whoever wired up the trailer lights did a "wonderful" job - theres a mess of cabling, especially on the O/S cluster.
Megane - fog lights on when braking - RobJ29A
It seems I've misunderstood the electrical systems of cars! Its a common earth system, I assume? I removed and refitted the multiplug connectors again (it seemed last time I didn't plug one in properly - oops!), and this has stopped the fog light telltail from lighting up. However on the O/S the brake light now turns its adjacent tail laight bulb off. To remedy the earth problem do i simple run a wire from anywhere on the bulb circuit board and attach it directly to the cars bodywork? Would a self tapping screw into the bodywork do the job? Thanks again, I hate to be a bore with this but as I said I'm a real novice in this area!
Megane - fog lights on when braking - Screwloose
Rob

That symptom is fairly common with an earthing fault. This could even be a bad connexion actually in the bulbholder plate itself.

Arm yourself with a ordinary test-light [tiny bulb type] and then you can find the bad earth and follow it back.