Scammer? - Niallster
Selling the bike on Autotrader. Just got this email from a gentleman with the very English name of Martin.

Do we that gives me gratitude to email you with my inquiry over this very Bike i saw on the internet during my search.i want you to kindly in good faith get back to me with your final asking price and it's pics for review. Also i would be interested in knowing the condition of this Bike,is it sound ready to move or has some dents ?Please advise on your payment whether is a cheque or a bank draft .I await to hear from you quickly.Here is my phone number you can as well call me on XXXXXXX (mobile number).

So do we think it might be a scam guys?

Have a look at the below link....similar (if not identical problems) against a BR member. - PU

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=39723&...f
Scammer? - JohnPug
Quite possibly, especially if he won't pay in cash.
Scammer? - Altea Ego
As soon as the primary concern is the method of payment, and not the details of the item for sale, you know its a scammer.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Scammer? - midlifecrisis
That is a scam. Since when would 'Martin' post like a Nigerian scammer. I wouldn't even bother replying, but if you do, tell him it's CASH on collection.
Scammer? - Robin Reliant
Email back asking him to send his bank details as you need to transfer one millon pounds out of the country without the Inland Revenue knowing, and as well as taking 10% commision for himself he can have the bike for free.
--
Scammer? - Niallster
Got to say the Autotrader's new system whereby all emails and calls are transmitted via their system and your telephone number and email address are never revealed is excellent and clearly much needed.
Scammer? - Hamsafar
Dear Sir, it has come to pass that martin has passed away, he met with an accident on the Lagos Highway nine and leaves me in benefit of his £9,000,000 fortune to wish I share with you in exchange for you bike.
Scammer? - Stuartli
>>So do we think it might be a scam guys?>>

If only one idiot falls for such a query out of thousands, then it's a result for the protagonists.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Scammer? - Chris White
I'd say a 100% scam.

Chris
Scammer? - Lud
If someone sends me a meaningless email in a strange language, whose meaning is far from clear, I deem it spam and throw it in the bin.

I have found this attitude serves me in good stead.
Scammer? - pendulum
Argh, whenever I list on Autotrader I get around 3 or 4 fake enquiries like that one. That's obviously a scam but sometimes it's not so easy to tell the difference between a scammer and a genuine potential buyer, not from the first email anyway.
Scammer? - Kevin
These things amuse me.

Does Google translate between Nigerian and English or are they all Media Studies grads?

Kevin...
Scammer? - aaflyer
Even odds that the telephone number will connect you to a premium rate number; you'll end up with a bill of something like £3.00 per minute as they connect you to Peru!

That said, I love the Fonejacker (spelling?) sketch where the guy puts on the 'generic' African accent and asks people for their credit card/bank details. Like one of the recent ones, where the girl he has 'phoned is concerned about her personal details and she gets the reply:

"No problem, madam, you send them to me and I send them to nobody!" She then asked how much she had 'won' in the competition and the guy says: "£6.82." Her reaction was one of being utterly underwhelmed!

AA
Scammer? - aaflyer
'Ugandan George' is the character's name.

I knew I'd remember it eventually!

AA
And yet more nonsense from my Autotrader advert - Niallster
Hi Mate ,

I want to make an enquiry about your advert which i found favorable and willing to purchase . Let me know the details below if the item is still available .

The LAST PRICE ? As i did like to know or confirm the price from you Personally.
Recent Conditions ?
Comprehensive pictures of it if the picture is available .

I resides in London .

Kelvin. XXXXXXX (mobile number)

Does anyone other than scammers contact Autotrader these days?

Moved into this very recent post on the same subject.. - PU
And yet more nonsense from my Autotrader advert - billy25
As much as it doth pleaseth me to reed you advert, it also doth dithpleaseth me that you be thinking that the bro?s and me mayeth be scammering you, when we be God-fearin honest men looking for a motor.

My late father would be a spinnin in his grave, if he thought that his only son was bein disrespected in that it be being made out that he be a rogue.

If you send me you bank account number I send you bankers draft for 1000,000 doolar and you post me car.

Many thank you! And the Lord praise your generosity.

Musta seenya cumin.
And yet more nonsense from my Autotrader advert - Vin {P}
Well, I tried but got nowhere:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=29362&...f

V
And yet more nonsense from my Autotrader advert - broben
LOL

I stay in Scotland and Im too busy to come collect the car

Give me you address and I will send my agents to come and collect it

I will pay you by cheque
And yet more nonsense from my Autotrader advert - Niallster
And the beat goes on...

'Hello
My name is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
I''m really intersted in your bike and i will like to know if you still have it
for sale ,Are you the first owner? Did you have all the paper work and the receipt of phurchase for documentation? what is your last asking price and the present condition? Preffered method of payment is United Kingdom Certified Bank Draft Cheque ? which would CLEAR in your bank account within 1 to 2 working days.don''t bother about the shippment The shipping cost will be my own responsibility.Urgent response is needed for procedureof payment I''ll be expecting your mail soonest.Send pics if also avilable.i would be very glad if you can get it sold to me.Kindly email me back if it's still for sale.
Cheer'

And yet more nonsense from my Autotrader advert - Screwloose

Oh it'll clear all right - and, in about six weeks, the bank will debit your account after they find it was a duplicate...
And yet more nonsense from my Autotrader advert - Xileno {P}
You could have some fun first:

www.419eater.com/