Ideas for replacement car - Car
The time with my present car will becoming to the end in the not too distant future and I'am thinking of what to replace it with.

Present car is 1999 Rover 416 with 120,000 on it. Below is what I would like the replacement to have

(1) Aircon

(2) Same size boot or larger

(3) Reliable and cheap to run

(4) Diesel

(5) A bit younger in age if possible

(6) Good performance i.e same as the 416 or better

(7) I have around £600 min to £1300 to spend on top of what the rover will fetch.

I think that's it, and look forward to receiving the replies

Cheers

Ommited bit edited in for you - PU
Ideas for replacement car - nick1975
keep the rover
keep the rover

What's your thinking here?
Ideas for replacement car - OldHand
I don't know what Nick's thinking was but I'd also keep the Rover. At the budget you are considering you will just be walking into something almost exactly the same.

If you were talking about wanting a major change ie into a luxo-barge or a hot hatch I could understand. However what you want is something more or less the same as your Rover so why not just keep it and save yourself the hassle. The 'new' car won't be significantly better because you just aren't spending enough for it to be an upgrade.
I don't know what Nick's thinking was but I'd also keep the Rover. At the
budget you are considering you will just be walking into something almost exactly the same.

snipquote

What kind of sum of money would I have to pay for the replacement car to be considered an upgrade?
Ideas for replacement car - Avant
I should think a Nissan Primera / Toyota Avensis / Mazda 626 of whatever vintage you can afford would fit most of your bill.
Ideas for replacement car - DP
If the Rover is reliable, I would seriously consider hanging on to it. There's a lot to be said for a 7-8 year old car that's reliable. It becomes worth much more to you than to anyone else.

With regard to item 5), to get the same or better performance as your petrol 416 from a diesel, you're really looking at the latest common-rail tackle, or a VAG PD equipped car. Unfortunately, within a total budget of around £2k, this just isn't going to be possible. Bear in mind too that a diesel's power delivery is very different to a petrol engine's. Everything happens between 2,000 and 4,000 RPM as a rule, although some diesels extend 500 RPM either way. They also don't respond to the accelerator in the same way.

The 416 is quite a revvy beast from memory, and if you like that kind of delivery, you might not like even a "high tech" diesel. I'd recommend driving one or two to see what you think.

For a £2k diesel car, I'd be tempted by a late 306 HDi. Only 90PS, but very smooth and responsive, and with handling and ride that still hasn't been beaten in the class in my opinion. Capable of staggering economy if driven gently as well. My brother-in-law used to average nearly 60mpg from his on a 50-60 mph pootle along the M3 to work and back each day. Quality a bit iffy, and prone to electrical problems, but I know loads of 306's with 100,000-180,000 miles on them that are still going strong.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Ideas for replacement car - 1066
how about a 406 hdi with air con, i saw a 2002 plate the other day with 75k on the clock for 1750
Perhaps I should of explained better, my current position is that swmbo is looking for her first car. She has driven the Rover and is use to driving it, she also knows the previous owner(me) and what has been done.

Due to house moving my budget is limited to £2,000

The alternative would be to get swmbo a car but the Rover already has 120,000 on so would probably need replacing in the next 12 to 18 months, wheras is she had the Rover this could be kept hopefully for another 3 to 4 years.
Ideas for replacement car - Pugugly {P}
Another Rover ?