Focus steering wheel - focusman
hi
i need to replace the steering wheel on my 03 focus with like for like. info i have says to remove airbag by first disconnecting battery earth lead. leave for at least 1 minute, remove airbag, undo nut and remove steering wheel. fit new wheel, tighten nut and fit air bag. reconnect earth lead. is that it or am i missing anything. anything i should watch for.
thanks in advance
focus steering wheel - DP
I would leave it at least an hour with the battery disconnected, preferably overnight if you can. This will ensure that the capacitors have properly discharged. You need to put your face pretty close to the airbag as you do this job, and if it were to go off, it would hurt. A lot.

You might need to take the steering column shroud off to get access to the airbag bolts. I did on the Mondeo. I found the best access to be from the top after turning the steering wheel the appropriate amount.

If it's like the Mondeo, you'll need a Torx screwdriver or socket to get the airbag bolts out. Can't remember the size off the top of my head. Support the airbag as you undo it so it doesn't fall on the floor, and be careful with the two pin connector - it's quite delicate. Don't forget to disconnect the horn wiring as well.

Also make sure the wires for the airbag and horn are routed correctly when you refit the wheel. The Mondeo had a small square hole at the top of the wheel boss for these wires. Make sure there's plenty of slack, and the wires are free to slide through the hole as they need to when the wheel is turned.

Grip the wheel with your knees as you slacken and torque up the nut. Don't use the steering lock to stop the wheel from turning.

Not a bad job. Should take you no more than about 15 minutes.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
focus steering wheel - RichardW
Leave the nut on the end of the shaft when trying to remove the wheel - it's likely to be stuck, and can come away quite rapidly - the nut stops you banging yourself on the nose! Stand outside the car when turning the ignition on again first time - just in case the airbag deploys...
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
focus steering wheel - BobbyG
Maybe a silly question, but why would you need to change a steering wheel like -for - like? I can understand if you were putting a different one on?
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
focus steering wheel - focusman
hi
just to update things. i have managed to get a second hand wheel to replace my damaged one and will probably change it at the weekend. just one question , does anybody know what size the screw is that holds the steering wheel on, so if required i can get one before the weekend.
need to replace the wheel because the leather has become sticky and rough at the 2 oclock position which i think has been caused by i reaction to some anti-inflammatory gel i use
focus steering wheel - henry k
>>Does anybody know what size the screw is that holds the steering wheel on, so if required I can get one before the weekend.
>>
Haynes does not say but the only clue is that the torque needed for the steering wheel bolt is 50Nm.
focus steering wheel - henry k
need to replace the wheel because the leather has become sticky and rough at the
2 oclock position which i think has been caused by i reaction to some anti-inflammatory
gel i use

>>

I wonder is your diagnosis is correct.
A good friend called round in his late model Mk1 and it too has the same problem.
It was not like it when he bought it S/H. I asked him if he used any cream on his hands and he said not. It has only done about 30K

The whole surface in the 10 to 2 position appeared to have sort of melted and formed into ripples.
A bad batch of steering wheels ?
focus steering wheel - Pugugly {P}
Sister's Puma did that - "leather" wheel. She doesn't wear any hand cream.
focus steering wheel - bell boy
mk 2 cortina gt wheels were terrible for this,i used to have black hands when i finished a journey,didnt use brylcream in those days so i blame the cows
focus steering wheel - focusman
update
trying to remove steering wheel. so far disconnected earth lead, undone screws at rear of steering wheel.
now trying to remove airbag but it will not budge. ford tis cd says detach airbag retaining clips, but how, cannot see them to get to them. do i just pull.
thanks
focus steering wheel - bikerider
You have to lift the air bag away from the bottom first by gently pushing it up and then pullling it a from the steering wheel
way
Focus steering wheel - focusman
update
all done and dusted. after looking at replacement wheel i could see where bag was being held. pulled airbag from the bottom (quite a tight fit) till it came away. then unplugged wiring, remove m24 hex head screw and lift old wheel off. new wheel on, torque up screw to spec and refit airbag, reconnect battery earth lead turn ignition on and check everything was working, redo radio code and clear tools away, job done.
thanks for all the help