Tyre pressure monitors - midlifecrisis
The Pugs fitted with these and I've always been a bit sceptical. However, left Homebase today and got a little down the road when it alerted me to a low tyre pressure. Nipped into a nearby supermarket and pumped said tyre up. Warning disappeared for about ten minutes when it came on again. Had another look and found a big screw in the tyre. So the things actually work!!!

Very sensitive though. Had the tyre repaired and when I was driving out, noticed the warning still on. Thought the fitter might have broken the wireless sensor. I checked when I got home and found they had only filled the tyre to 30psi. Put another 3psi in and out it went.
Tyre pressure monitors - jase1
I have no doubt that they are very useful, but what exactly do they do that a £10 set of pressure monitor caps don't? And without the need for complex electronics as well.
Tyre pressure monitors - neil
"what exactly do they do that a £10 set of pressure monitor caps don't?"

Well, they measure the pressure in the tyre without holding the valve partially open so that the only seal is in fact in the valve cap... which is how the 'pressure monitor' caps work and which I think is an absolutely mental idea! I wouldn't use one of these caps on a wheelbarrow, although I know a loit of people seem to like them. The wireless transmitter type seems like a better idea, but costly?

Neil

Tyre pressure monitors - OldHand
I what exactly do they do
that a £10 set of pressure monitor caps don't?

Don't get stolen by the local scrotes.
> Well, they measure the pressure in the tyre without holding the valve partially open so that the only seal is in fact in the valve cap...

Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly is this done?

In order to measure pressure, you *have* to open the valve, surely?

So what do the transmitter-type devices do that the others don't? There isn't enough battery power to actuate a motor to open the valve periodically, so surely they must also keep the valve open?

The point about scrotes is fair, although the answer to that is not to live in an area with lots of them about really!! I've left my car *unlocked* for several *days* on more than one occasion, and nothing untoward happened.
Tyre pressure monitors - OldHand
The point about scrotes is fair although the answer to that is not to live
in an area with lots of them about really!!

.........and then never to leave said area. Some of us are less parochial in our driving habits.
.........and then never to leave said area. Some of us are less parochial in our
driving habits.

Well fair comment. But do the toerags really have nothing better to do with their time than nick £2.50 tyre caps? Personally I'd be more worried about the DVD/Bluetooth head unit inside the car, or the DAB adaptor connected to it!
Tyre pressure monitors - Altea Ego
I have no doubt that they are very useful but what exactly do they do
that a £10 set of pressure monitor caps don't? And without the need for complex
electronics as well.

Well they mean you dont have to hang 4 heads out of the windows trying to see the pressure monitor caps as the wheels spin round at 60 mph.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Well they mean you dont have to hang 4 heads out of the windows trying
to see the pressure monitor caps as the wheels spin round at 60 mph.

You don't need to keep that close an eye on the pressures though! A quick glance around the car every time you set off is more than enough.

Not that I have these on my car, but this thread has made me think.
Tyre pressure monitors - neil
"You don't need to keep that close an eye on the pressures though! A quick glance around the car every time you set off is more than enough."

Yep, that should do it - you get almost all punctures while you're parked... probably!

;-)

The radio monitors tell you NOW that you're losing pressure, the walkround check (perhaps while you're waiting for the AA to come and pull you out of the hedge?) tells you later - as in effect do the 'littlethingthatsticksout' valve caps.

And no, the radio monitors dont hold the valve open, they monitor from inside the tyre and transmit to sensors outside if they detect a fall from a reference pressure.

The other type really can't be safe in my opinion!