Audi A4 (1996) 1.8 starting problem - stokie
On 3 occasions in the last 6 weeks my A4 has refused to start. Well it starts and revs for approx 2 seconds then dies.
After repeated cycles of this it eventually starts and runs OK.

Yesterday it did this at my local garage (it was in for a bodywork job). I left the car with them but of course it didn't play up for them.
They suspect something in the ECU, possibly related to a relay in the fuel pump which switches from 'Startup' to 'Running' mode.
It's beyond their expertise.
Has anyone heard of this relay? Is this a known problem?

Problem seems to have started after another garage fixed a tickover problem where tickover was surging up and down between 1500 and 3000 - fix was to replace a broken emmissions hose, but I'm wondering if that episode blew something in the elctronics?

Any help gratefully received.
Audi A4 (1996) 1.8 starting problem - Screwloose

Immobilizer fault.
Thanks SL.
Latest problem (started yesterday) is that the wipers, indicators and heater blower don't work when the engine is running, but work when the engine is off (and ignition on).
I wondered about a bad earth connection, I've found one earth lead which looks secure, should there be another?
Screwloose,
Thanks, you were right. I've tried the spare key and the problem goes away. Suspect the transponder in the original key was getting faulty.
Stewart
Audi A4 (1996) 1.8 starting problem - Screwloose
Stewart

Cheers for the update; that 2-second run-and-cut symptom is a dead giveaway.

What was the other fault - a dodgy ignition switch, or an X-contact relief relay?
It's a dodgy ignition switch. It's sticking in the cranking position (where major electrical items don't work to reserve juice for the starter), if you manually turn the key back to running position all is well, so at least I have a workaround.
Audi A4 (1996) 1.8 starting problem - adverse camber
fix it.

the ign switch can just totally fail. In our case we couldnt get the key out, then after much wiggling we couldnt get it back in. It isnt a big job or expensive - avoid the cheap pattern parts though.