10K to spend - suggestions ? - johnsmclean
Our 97 Passat has done 115K and needs replacing. We do about 1000 mile a month. Just me, the wife and the boy in the family.

We would like to spend about £10K. We have really enjoyed the Passat and only in the last two years has it needed any significant servicing. So, we wouldn't be averse to getting another one. We would probably buy a car and have it for 7+ years.

My wife is keen to maintain her "image" (tsk) and so won't consider a Mondeo or any Skoda. Thoughts were on a Honda Accord or Aventis but would appreciate advice. Willing to consider something different.

Thanks in advance.
10K to spend - suggestions ? - Nsar
Can you give us an idea of what you'd like to get in terms of how new a car it would need to be to be accpetable to you and your wife? That would narrow it down a wee bit.

I assume you like the Passat for its size and reasonably good image and practicality as a family car - or are you looking for a very different type of car?

10K to spend - suggestions ? - MichaelR
Your wife never had any 'image', she was driving a VW Passat (VW translates directly to Peoples Car) and not a Mercedes E Class or an Audi. She certainly won't be getting any image beyond that of a taxi driver by chosing an Avensis.

Still, if she must ignore a perfectly good car in the Mondeo for reasons of image and badge snobbery why not actually get a badge to be snobby about and consider an Audi A4 1.9 TDi 130 (2001-2004 shape) or a BMW 320d?
10K to spend - suggestions ? - freakybacon
Passats must be pretty good cars- plenty used as minicabs here in west yorkshire. What about a Seat leon,altea? Bit different,look pretty good too.
10K to spend - suggestions ? - Lud
get a badge to be snobby about and
consider an Audi A4 1.9 TDi 130 (2001-2004 shape) or a BMW 320d?

Or better still, a carefully selected mid-to-late sixties Rolls-Royce would probably keep the lady happy unless she has noticed how many scrap dealers, greyhound racing fanatics, travellers etc drive them... Shouldn't drink more than 100 gallons a month at your mileage either... :o)
10K to spend - suggestions ? - johnsmclean
Thanks for the replies. I would happily go for a Skoda but ...........

I think my wife likes the comfort and solidity of the Passat. Always feel safe driving it and it's a smooth ride. Also, really like the large boot.

I get the train to work and it is my wife who would use it to drive to work so don't mind her having a big say in what we get.

I know most people hate 4 x 4s but as my son is getting older he may enjoy having a better view if one of these.

10K to spend - suggestions ? - GregSwain
Something different......Mitsubishi Lancer! Good reliable engines & gearboxes, will certainly go for 7 years without a problem, and can be had new (or nearly new depending on model) for under £10k. Good image as well - buy a black one and everyone will think it's an Evo ;-)

www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/lancer
10K to spend - suggestions ? - barney100
You can get a decent 3 deries BMW or a C class Merc for that. The big Volvo saloons at that price are really worth considering.
10K to spend - suggestions ? - Avant
Skodas have a much better image nowadays than your wife thinks. If she isn't persuaded, then another Passat or Audi A4 would do as well, but you'd have to get an older one for your £10k. You could get a 2-year-old Octavia I think on your budget, and it has a huge boot and the advantage of a hatchback.

An Accord would do you nicely, or if your son wants a view from higher up, maybe think about a CRV. Not quite as big or gas-guzzling as some 4x4s. I've never tried an Avensis but it should be as reliable as an Accord, although if the road tests are to be believed it's not vey exciting to drive.