Sat Nav Questions and Answers Vol 1. - Pugugly {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

In this thread you may ask any Sat Nav based question.

No Questions About PCs (Unless its about the Sat Nav Interface). Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No Speeding, speed cameras (Unless its linked to SatNAv features)
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

This will hopefully give an easily searchable One Stop Shop for Sat Nav information.

This is Volume 1. It will not be deleted when it reaches a 100 posts, just locked and a new Volume started.

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

All,

Following a suggestion from a member all current SatNav threads will be imported in here. It should make it easier for all, including members searching for information and limit the endless debates that cover the same ground.

An experiment let's see if it works.

Ground rules for this thread the same as the other specific threads.

PU

Edited by Webmaster on 27/12/2007 at 21:29

Sat Nav - a joke ? - Ubi
I have been lurking in the Sat Nav aisles for several month waiting for a European map equipped system to come into the sub £150 price bracket. Passing through Costco yesterday I saw that, for the first time, they had the Navman N40 in this branch for £140. So I threw one in the trolley and spent last night configuring it and installing maps for the European cities I need to visit over the course of the next few months.

I tested it out today in my local town. Verdict ? Fun but a useless piece of junk that's as likely to get into trouble as it is to lead you out of it. It would have had me detouring through municipal car parks, short cutting via roads closed to all traffic except buses and meandering home in the most circuitous route imaginable. Granted it can't be expected to compete with local knowledge. But it's added value seems to occur only when measured against zero route knowledge and there are very few circumstances where that applies in my itinerary.

The other thing I wonder is just how safe is all that fiddling with tiny buttons on the move? As happened with mobile phones, I expect the government may legislate against the use of them by the driver. But not of course until the market has reached saturation point and maximum revenue has been extracted from the consumer.

Mine is going back to Costco this afternoon - one of the benefits of membership.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - jc2
You only get what you pay for!
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Ubi
Do the various brands use different mapping systems ?
Sat Nav - a joke ? - adverse camber
last week I was walking the dogs when a bloke pulled up and asked me if he could get to Ripon using the route he was on. His sat nav was telling him he was ok, but I think he was getting nervous.

He was driving down a footpath.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Ubi
Are you serious ? I can believe it after my experience.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Altea Ego
Sounds like you couldnt be bothered to set it up properly.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Ubi
TVM Why does it sound like that ? What should I have done differently ?
you have lots of options for route prefrences. Fastest, shortest, walking etc. Those were not set up correctly.

Plus you should have bought a tomtom. The rest really dont compare.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I admit that at that point it was wide and had tarmac on it, but that stopped a 100 yards further on where it went down to mud. After another 500 yards it would be driving through fields.

He said that he had just bought the sat nav for £200. I dont know if he had followed its directions properly. But he had to reverse up and turn around in a field entrance.
As a positive experience, my FiL drove from Calais to Stockholm last week without a map. Relying only on a tomtom.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - rtj70
Well you shouldn't fiddle with it while driving.

Sounds like yours has something wrong with it to me. Did it have a decent GPS signal in your car I wonder? Maybe you've got one of those heat reflective windscreens.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - oilrag
Ubi, Is it possible to set it to `prefer main roads`? This often takes a longer route but stops them trying to go down footpaths.

Sat Nav - a joke ? - Westpig
My Tomtom, which is over 2 years old now (Tomtom Go500) is a superb bit of kit. I'm a complete 100% technophobe, yet can use that very easily. Even managed to download USA maps without too much weariness.

It has the odd moment, when it gets confused, then quickly rights itself..... and i've had the odd moment where i'm faced with a No Entry or something...but when you check, you notice the brand new road signs and realise the road layout has changed recently. It isn't a problem though as you drive up another road and it re-sets itself.

There's no need to keep fiddling with it, once you've set it....just follow the instructions.

If you get an aftermarket fitting, you can fit them to the dashboard (covers one of the air vents though), so that your screen vision isn't compromised and therefore not illegal.

Wouldn't be without it now...esp the speed cameras bit, (although 'er indoors has to do that as it's too complicated for me to understand).
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Ubi
The buses only road it tried to send me up has had that restriction for ten years or more.

Anyway it's done and dusted now. Between my first post and this I've been to Costco and returned the item.
I have an older Medion pocket PC type sat nav with Navteq software. Its great for getting through an unfamiliar city abroad and straight to the hotel, but is difficult to use and set up

I tend to find the hotels listed ( often up to 20) in the city i`m travelling to, in the `points of interest` in the navteq software,look them up on the internet and book, then straight to it.

Arriving after dark on a recent trip to Koblenz, it `pulled` me straight through the city and up the drive of Diels Hotel.
From this perspective, i think they are worth their weight in gold.

I only tend to use it on the final approach to any destination abroad as I find it frustrating to keep `pocketing` it on stops.

I have been looking at newer, simpler Sat navs, but they all seem to have the speed camera data bases included. Whats the point in that, when its illegal in France?
I have been looking at newer simpler Sat navs but they all seem to have
the speed camera data bases included. Whats the point in that when its illegal in
France?

>>

It's not illegal in France. A radar detection would be, but existing sites, published for accident prevention reasons is not a problem.

Although you don't really need the French sites, unless you're stopped at the time, as speeding in a non French registered car isn't a problem, even if they wrote to you, which they won't, you'd ignore it and they'd go away.
Thanks for that Westpig. I thought they frogmarched speeders to the nearest cashpoint though?
Ah, sorry, I understand..
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Lud
It isn't just pressing little buttons, it's watching a small TV screen while driving. Of course there must be people who use the thing 'safely', but I'm damned if I can see how they do it.

A bunch of London Trinidadian costume makers - friends of mine - were grumbling at top volume the other day about satnav in minicabs. My wife doesn't mind me sternly telling cab drivers which way to go (although black cab drivers intent on bumping up the fare become very shirty sometimes, and depart untipped as a result), but I have noticed that most women don't like it, including the wives of my Trini pals. Anything for a quiet life.

The word is that people just off the container ship or just out from under the Eurostar are buying motors, setting up as minicabs and finding their way about with these devices, going all round the houses in the process. Just looking at the minicabs these days I can tell there's a lot of truth in this.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Oilyman
I regularly see the same cars on my 10 mile commute to work with their sat-nav suckered onto the windscreen (surely a motorbike/cyclist could easily be hidden by this thing?) doing the same old journey.

Are they really incapable of doing the same journey without sat-nav?

I have just returned from a 1000 mile journey through France without using sat-nav - I just printed a route from the viamichelin webbie.

Got to four seperate destinations without a single error.

Sat-nav - a soluton looking for a problem.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Pugugly {P}

"I have just returned from a 1000 mile journey through France without using sat-nav"

Henry V did that as well, he had no sat nav or proper maps, mind you it took him a bit longer.

Old arguments - Sat Nav is useful in strange cities looking for a particular building, useful on the bike to provide a HUD for speeds (and a little "pose" value - "hey isn't that Ewan McGregor ?" :-) ) as TVM says TT got it cracked on more fronts than most other makers. My other SatNav is a Garmin, nowhere near as friendly as TT.
Are they really incapable of doing the same journey without sat-nav?

they are probably using it to keep an eye on speed camera sites......(and/or using the estimated time of arrival bit as well)
or ready to punch the "alt route" button when a jam occurs.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Sat Nav - a joke ? - piggy
sat-nav suckered onto the windscreen (surely a motorbike/cyclist could easily be hidden by this thing?)>>

There is no need whatsoever to stick a sat-nav to your windscreen. My Tom-Tom works perfectly well Velcroed beside the heater controls.
This avoids the sucker marks on the screen that seems to tell the scrotes you have one in the car. I also find very little need to look at the screen, if one listens to the vocal instructions then it`s easy enough.

www.brodit.com

Brackets that will jam into the air vent surround. Have used one for 2 years and apart from blocking that particular vent somewhat...perfect.

Bit dear though.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - gmac
>> Brackets that will jam into the air vent surround. Have used one for 2 years
and apart from blocking that particular vent somewhat...perfect.

Except air vent mounted sat-nav systems were found to be complete failures in DEKRA crash tests.

"Portable satellite navigation systems also came under the safety testers' spotlight."
EDIT: They were originally testing DVD players velcroed on rear headrests
"They found that, while sucker cup holders for sat-navs passed the crash test, another variant - which fixes to the air vent - failed completely. The mounting flapped down on the vent and broke in two, smashing the cradle and sat-nav on the feet of the dummy in the driver's seat."
Sat Nav - a joke ? - drbe
>>>> There is no need whatsoever to stick a sat-nav to your windscreen. My Tom-Tom works
perfectly well Velcroed beside the heater controls.

Please forgive my ignorance, but doesn't the gps receiver thingy have to be in line of sight of the windscreen?

Or something?
Please forgive my ignorance but doesn't the gps receiver thingy have to be in line
of sight of the windscreen?
Or something?

Actually no. My bluetooth GPS reciever works reasonably well in the centre armrest cubby.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Sat Nav - a joke ? - pendulum
My dad's sat nav has been fantastic, he goes all over the country on business and he just enters the postcode and it gets him to the doorstep every time. He's not had any problems with it in 4 years. Either you bought a rubbish unit or didn't set it up right.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - yorkiebar
Never had a problem with a map book personally.

Buy a new one for £ 1.99 every year and its updated and it covers the areas I want to get to (uk and europe). If i need a more accurate map of a city etc I print 1 off before travelling. i find a bigger map to look at way better than a small screen especialy if taking a sudden alternative route.

Only times I think these are of use over posing are for delivery drivers doing different locations daily. Most lorry drivers I know that are supplied with them wont even use them and that tells me all I want to know about them !

Most of the people I know with them only use them to get to and from work!

Really cant understand all the fuss and "I want one of those" hype.

Daughter gets about the country with a map book (my last years cast off) better than her bf with his sat nav.

Every one to their own though.
yb,

If you drive to anywhere built up that you're not familiar with...and use a map.....you either have to keep stopping to refresh your memory...or drive whilst looking at a map, which isn't to be recommended.

A Satnav is a lot easier and you don't have to change pages.. or indeed the whole map.

Then when you bung in speed camera databases, postcode searches etc, they are very useful. Of particular help is if you are aiming for a long road with numbers that can be great and you don't know what end of the road you need, the Satnav will take you to roughly where the premises is.

You can even use it to see sharp deviations of road ahead, albeit i wouldn't recommend staring at it that often.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Manatee
It's quite tricky to read a conventional map while driving and arguably dangerous; and modern roads make it difficult to stop when you need to check the route. Neither is a map any use if you don't know where you are, which is the killer feature of sat nav. The icing on the cake is route recalculation when you deviate from the path of righteousness.

I'm not trying to win the argument though - each to their own, as you say, and I think there is a downside to sat nav in that it's easy to become a slave to it, and doubt that you can pick a better route even when it's taking a long way round and you have a map that tells you there is a better route.

I'm a pretty firm convert myself; easy when I'm on my own, and saves arguments when I'm being supervised by Mrs M.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Lud
Neither is
a map any use if you don't know where you are which is the killer
feature of sat nav.

LOL.

Not knowing where they are is evidently the killer feature of satnav addicts.
Lud, you are so well named. I think your horse and cart needs attention.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Lud
your horse and cart needs attention.

They does does they televisionperson? What could you mean I wonder (but not with any great interest)?
>Buy a new one for £ 1.99 every year and its updated

ah but is it!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Sat Nav - a joke ? - JH
A car has recently been turning up in the car park at work every day with two gigantic sucker mounts stuck to the windscreen. I haven't seen it arrive, just noticed it as I've walked past. So - he / she hasn't learnt the route in yet and is saving up for a third sat nav to get a majority vote? If so I think they're in for a shock! :-)

JH
Sat Nav - a joke ? - David Horn
My TomTom has never sent me to the wrong place, could not imagine going back to paper maps.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - yorkiebar
Westpig,

I understand your comments and if you feel comfy with 1 then np to me.

Personally i prefer a map book. I do a lot of miles, including in europe and have never yet found a problem getting to where I want to go.

If I travel to a new /confusing destination then I just print a route map off the pc, know where I want to be what roads etc get me there and relax and drive.

I prefer to be in charge of where I drive and not the other way round. I have been driven as a passenger in a car with 1 fitted and I asked to be allowed out or allow me to drive because of the blind faith/distraction it caused the driver ! I swore then that I would never allow myself to be driven by anybody using 1 again! And I might add that I do a lot of miles as a rally co-driver too so I am in no way a nervous passenger! i just prefer a driver to be looking at the roads/cars and warning signs.

But, each to their own.
But each to their own.

aye
Sat Nav - a joke ? - dragon
I have had a Navman for about 2 years now and it has never tried to send me down a footpath/through a farmyard or anything else. The mapping is now a bit out of date but a bit of common sense ( sadly lacking in a lot of sat nav users) usually overcomes that.

I was following a friend who was being guided by a tomtom the other week. The tomtom sent us round in circles 3 times. In the end I switched on the Navman and took the lead - straight out first time
Sat Nav - a joke ? - wemyss
Westpig.. Reference your earlier posting about France and speeding.
It doesn?t work like that in all Countries for motoring offences.. I was in Cyprus and leaving Limassol on my way back to the airport in a hire car.
I was following a few local cars who were in the centre of the road waiting to turn right and I followed them knowing roughly where I wanted to go.
A Policeman stopped us all (me not knowing what for but beginning to guess what it was ) and eventually worked his way through them issuing tickets until he got to our car.
Nothing to do with this story but he was the image of the Gendarme in the ?Allo Allo? series.
Anyway, he said I had turned down a ?no right turn? and was issuing me with a fixed penalty ticket for CY £12.00 which you go to the Police Station to pay.
I told him I was on my way to the airport and he gave me a kind of matey wink and said you have 14 days to pay anyway so I forgot about it.
Later in the year we went again to Cyprus. Booked flight separately and telephoned my usual apartment for accommodation.
Two days there and on Saturday night the telephone in my room rang at 10.00pm and it was the Reception Lady who said there was a man at Reception who wanted to see me.
Went down and it was a young chap who didn?t speak English which is very unusual in Cyprus. He handed me two pieces of paper both in Greek language.
The Receptionist read them and told me it was a subpoena to attend Limassol court on Monday morning for non-payment of a motoring offence. The lad wanted it signed.
Much discussion of how they had traced me and the consensus among my Cypriot friends was that the paper you fill on the aircraft where you are stopping must be checked against passport control for ?wanted? felons.
It was quite an experience.....Still not completed.
Wemyss.

Sat Nav - a joke ? - rtj70
Possibly knew your whereabouts when you got to the hotel. We all know we hand in passports but the details are sent on and checked I believe - the whole point of the hotel asking for the passports.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - gmac
Lot to be said for a lastminute dot bomb and private rental !
Sat Nav - a joke ? - wemyss
rtj70... We went into this possibility along with others. The owner of the apartments who is an old friend said there was no possibilty of this.
Whilst they do take your passport at the desk the computer is non accessible to outside and he has never known the Police coming in to check on guests.
In the end we assumed that it must have been the form you fill in on the plane.
It was quite a day actually as during the same night the apartment below us caught fire. My wife woke up with the smoke coming up from below and coming in through the patio windows. We went down and alerted the night man and we were all out in the street with the fire brigade in attendance.
Actually the last time we will be able to stop there as the owner in his eighties has sold up and it was being converted into luxury apartments sold off individually to rich Russians who are gradually buying Cyprus.
wemyss
Sat Nav - a joke ? - smilingvulture
i wish i had sat/nav when i was a courier van driver--various drops cumbernauld

i will always remember that day

Sat Nav - a joke ? - ziggy
Get a good road map.

Use google maps to zoom in on more complicated parts. You can see when a junction is not a juntion with the hybrid sattelite view.

Avis often give good maps (which I tend to collect..).

I am sure some sat navs can work well. And it is a big help if it eliminates the need to stop and look at the map. The problem is I don't have time to learn how to progam and use them. I had one giving directions in German I could not switch off (I later found there was separate CD for English). A colleague has i-Drive, which looks like something for confirmed masochists only.
The problem is I don't have time to learn how to progam and use them. I had one
giving directions in German I could not switch off (I later found there was separate
CD for English).

Ziggy,

I promise you NO ONE is more of a plank than i am with anything technical and even I can use it. I suspect the more expensive ones are easier to use and i personally can only speak for Tomtom, which is extremely simple.......Anyone could use it.
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Chris White
I use TomTom One for work and for the personal journeys that I don't know where I'm going and I would never want to go back to paper maps. If you're travelling somewhere on your own you can't always stop safely and check where you're going (nor can you read your map on the move).

Case in point, went to Nottingham end of last year (a place I don't know at all) and huge accident on the road in and massive tailbacks. My Google map of A-Z directions really wasn't any good in that. I really could have done with TomTom then to redirect me.

I just find it takes the stress out of not really knowing where you're going (and the ETA feature is great too).

It's not 100%, but it's sooo much better than paper maps.

Chris
Sat Nav - a joke ? - Pugugly {P}
As a colleague in work put it when he went to Manchester to a conference "one less thing to worry about" and he's quite right. If you're not sure whether they're for you or not your local BMW dealer will hire them out quite cheaply on a daily and weekly basis. Go try one.
Garmin satnav - Martin Devon
Good Morning all. Went into Halfords yesterday with a view to getting a cheap Satnav. The assistant who was very helpful homed right in on the garmin310D (Europe on CD version). He said that at the moment he wouldn?t touch Tomtom because of quality issues but didn?t elaborate. He also stated that Navman didn?t fix as fast as the garmin products. Does anybody have any experience of this unit or an other thoughts on this matter.

Also what I wasn?t told is whether you get an option to choose quickest/shortest/main roads etc.

For information when the 310D was placed in my van, (heat reflective windscreen), which I am informed requires an external aerial it registered 60% of the satellites within a few seconds and then the progress bar showed full within a minute. The gentleman stated that these latest units that they have fitted have never had a problem seeing the satellites. Any further views anybody.
Regards????????MD
Sorry guys, in addition to the above is it sensible to have text-to-speech? which the 550 streetpilot does but not the 310D.

Regards....MD
Garmin satnav - jc2
I was talking to a man who travels regularly around Europe and he has tried many makes of Satnav-his comments,the only one that he has been completely satisfied with is a top of the range Garmin-reckons it's marvellous.
Garmin satnav - mal
I have the cheapest Garmin and have no need to upgrade, it gets me from A to B.
Garmin satnav - Pugugly {P}
We have a TT and Garmin in the household (albeit an old 2610) the TT wins hands down on all fronts - but the Garmin was cheap and can be more reliably tethered to a motorbike than a TT Rider. For me if I had to bin one it would be the Garmin.
Garmin satnav - stevek
I have a 310D and am farily satisfied by it. I agree with the TT statement as I have also been told that by a Halfords {now spelt correctly - DD} employee. The 310 d traffic facility is great and battery life good. Only two areas that I am not happy with. The first is the mapsource map that comes with it is around 2 years out of date. Ok for main roads but not for travelling around newish estates. The second is the navigatation software. if a "wrong turn" is taken then for about a mile it keeps saying "make a u turn" and then after this it recalculates a new route. I would like to see it calculate a new route immediate without saying do a u turn.
But having said that its very reliable and there are frequent updates on the garmin site for the software.
Garmin satnav - Altea Ego
after this it recalculates a new route. I would like to see it calculate a new route immediate without saying do a u turn.

why? a U turn is a valid route, and for a mile might be the best option.
Mind if you had a TomTom this wouldnt happen to you. Garmins are worse for trying to hold on to the orginal route.

Halfords dont try and hard sell TomToms becuase they get bigger margins on Garmin.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Halfords dont try and hard sell TomToms becuase they get bigger margins on Garmin.

I am sure that this is very valid, but is this your supposition or can you back it with facts?

MD
Yes, my son works for DSG.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Yes my son works for DSG.

The parent company of Halfords prechance. What does DSG stand for Sir?

MD
Dixons
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TVM. I actually respect most of your views and I believe you are quite a knowledgable chap. Now that's the niceties over. What is your view on an effective satnav. Safety! cameras etc. Cheap never attracts me unless it is cheap and effective. Fit for the purpose I want, but I hear so many polarised views on this and everything else it is driving me to drink. (Gin & tonic to be exact)

Very best regards..................Martin D.
Garmin satnav - stevek
The sort of scenario I have is that if the sat nav is showing go ahead-but ahead is blocked for some reason then by turning off I would like to find another route immediately.
They could put this option in the firmware. Its sort of there with the detour function but it keeps trying to find the original route.

Also DSG=Dixons Store Group.
Martin. I have a TomTom and have used it for 40k miles. In UK France, Belgium, Holland and Italy. In my opinion ithas the best user interface, it has the best recalculation function, and it has the best support for POI's (thats speed camera locations)

Somoene outside this forum asked me to get the best Satnav for use in Uk and europe for them. I bought a TomTom 1 XL europe.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Martin. Somoene outside this forum asked me to get the best Satnav for use in Uk
and europe for them. I bought a TomTom 1 XL europe.

TVM................Thanks and best regards.........MD
Garmin satnav - Westpig
For information when the 310D was placed in my van (heat reflective windscreen) which I am informed requires an external aerial it registered 60% of the satellites within a few seconds and then the progress bar showed full within a minute. The gentleman stated that these latest units that they have fitted have never had a problem seeing the satellites.

Mate of mine got me into the Satnav, I wouldn't have bothered as i'm too technophobic. He had a Garmin, but since purchasing it had advised his father and then me to get a Tomtom as they were 'easier to use' and 'probably the better product'.

We use the TT in my wife's car predominantly, which has a heated front screen. Got told I might need an extra aerial.....but in reality this has never been the case. We once took it off the bracket in a m/way service station and left it on, on the floor, hidden under a coat....then when we got back in forgot it was there. It still worked from the floor.
'Tis still a huge minefield and it aint gettin' any easier.

MD
Sat-Nav use UK & Overseas Choice ??? - autumnboy

I'm about to get a Sat-Nav which I would like to use in the UK, Canada and Maderia.

Also can they be universal from one country to another and would this be via CD, Card or Download. ??

Any suggestions which may be a good choice from experience.

Thxs
Sat-Nav use UK & Overseas Choice ??? - Altea Ego
Madeira?

No sat nav maps for that by any sat nav maker. You will need a map and a sense of direction.

TomTom does maps for canada and the states, can be donwloaded or bought on sd card.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Sat-Nav use UK & Overseas Choice ??? - Westpig
I bought US/Canada maps for my Tomtom and didn't realise i needed a bigger memory on the card, so then had to buy that as well. Once you factor in the cost of the download for the maps, then the extra card for more memory...it gets nearer the price of the more expensive and more inclusive product that you could have bought in the first place.... and had less hassle fiddling with it.

Worked a treat though.
Sat-Nav use UK & Overseas Choice ??? - colinh
Garmin nuvi 370 comes with Europe & North America preloaded.

Navteq maps have a very rudimentary map of Madeira. namely, the basic figure-of-8 of the main roads giving locations of villages, but no village street detail. You can check it out on the Garmin mapviewer
Thxs Colin,

I've been to Garmin and can't find any mapviewer for Maderia. If you've got the link please post it.

Thxs
Sat-Nav use UK & Overseas Choice ??? - Martin Devon
Madeira is actually quite easy with a map and one of the most stunning places you will EVER visit. Been there 13 times (so she tells me!!)

vbr MD
I've been there 2 years ago, but my wife can't navigate or read the map and look at the drops on the side of the road at the same time. We coped ok with me memorising the main links and then stopping for up-dates.

As you say the views are outstanding, we liked Jardim da mar and calheta areas.

thxs
Sat-Nav use UK & Overseas Choice ??? - helicopter
Madeira is spectacular driving in places..

Most of Madeiras road network seemed to be 'work in progress' when we were last there a couple of years ago. SWMBO was not happy because we were in a Jimny and continually being caught in the dust behind construction traffic.

They were spending EEC money like water and most of it seemed to be on tunnels through the mountains.

The fun of driving in Madeira to me was exploring the island without the aid of Satnav and just a basic map provided by the hire car company.

We did however invest in a tour with one of the taxis before hiring a car and he took us to the major places of interest which we then revisited at our leisure.

Some of the roads there are spectacular with one narrow road on the way to the Nuns valley having a 1000M drop on one side.

You really do not want to be distracted from your driving on that road by SatNav telling you to do a U turn.

Sat-Nav use UK & Overseas Choice ??? - daveyjp
Madeira is actually quite easy with a map and one of the most stunning places
you will EVER visit. Been there 13 times (so she tells me!!)
vbr MD

Correction - 99.9% of Madeira is very easy using a map - signage is good to main tourist areas. The 0.1% which isn't is Funchal and it's a nightmare, very little signage and lots of small streets.

The topography means you can be heading in what you think is the right direction on a two way carriageway, then the road changes direction and you end up going another way and the road eventually becomes just wide anough for one car and you end up back to where you started!

If you are staying in Funchal find the quickest route to the dual carriageway which bypasses the town, get on this road for every journey rather than try and cross the city. All main tourist attractions are signposted off the bypass. Hotel zone to say the botanical gardens or Monte is only a couple of miles on the bypass, about two junctions, but across town it could take you an hour if you don't know where you are going.
"They were spending EEC money like water and most of it seemed to be on tunnels through the mountains"

The longest tunnel in Portugal is on Madeira, linking Funchal to the north coast. If you want views rather than speed the old route is still open. Agree about Nuns Valley - not much when you get there, but what a journey. The village didn't have any road access until the mid 60s, you can see the old donkey track as you exit the last tunnel beofre starting the trip down the valley side.
"Agree about Nuns Valley - not much when you get there but what a journey."

Not much when you get there!! It isn't Butlins old chap. What do you want for pitys sake? It is Nuns Valley..It is what it is. Take it for what it is, read the history, visit the Cemetery and breathe in the History.

Yours in despair..........MD
Not much when you get there!! It isn't Butlins old chap. What do you want
for pitys sake? It is Nuns Valley..It is what it is. Take it for what
it is read the history visit the Cemetery and breathe in the History.
Yours in despair..........MD

My comment was to advise those that go that the village is merely the end of an amazing journey - don't be in a rush to get there thinking the village is the reason for going.

Me and my wife went there on Christmas Day 2004 and thought it was an amazing place - I still remember the apple pie we had in the local bar!

If you read some guide books they do 'big up' the village, rather than it's location and the journey to get to it. We heard people who had gone on organised half day trips where you drive there without stopping, walk round for 20 minutes then come straight back. They were moaning there was nothing to do in the village.
If you read some guide books they do 'big up' the village rather than it's
location and the journey to get to it. We heard people who had gone on
organised half day trips where you drive there without stopping walk round for 20 minutes
then come straight back. They were moaning there was nothing to do in the village.

Did you walk up past the Tourist centre on the way down to the Valley bottom and look over the iron railings? Breathtaking an sometimes the helicopter is flying beneath you.

MD
Sat-Nav use UK & Overseas Choice ??? - helicopter
I do tend to agree that the journey to and from Nuns Valley is the best part .

There is not much to do in the village except possibly try the local liquers and cakes although this is not recommended if you are driving. The place is well geared up to sell tat to tourists.

There is also a tunnel now which avoids much of the old mountain road if you do not fancy the drive .

You can also walk down from the village and walk along by the river in the valley bottom which is quite pretty.

The tourist centre is where you have the 1000m sheer drop when you look over the railings, not recommended for those with vertigo.

We spent ages there just taking in the spectacular views and then suddenly we were in cloud and it became very eerie. Driving back along the mountain road in minimum visibility is not recommended.

S - Pugugly {P}
Whoops.
Sat Nav on Mobile Phone - Good Idea? - drbe
I have a mobile phone which runs under the Symbian operating system.

I understand that with a GPS receiver and a couple of other bits and pieces, I can get sat nav ( with Bluetooth) on my mobile phone.

Good idea - or not?
Sat Nav on Mobile Phone - Good Idea? - Altea Ego
It depends. If you want a good GPS for the car and justify the price of one then no its not a goood idea. If however you have need of a sta nav now and again then probably it is a good idea.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Sat Nav on Mobile Phone - Good Idea? - Stuartli
Two examples of the result of drivers of big trucks following SatNav instructions to go down one narrow country lane in Lancashire:

tinyurl.com/2olxet

tinyurl.com/36usw3
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Sat Nav on Mobile Phone - Good Idea? - normd2
I used one in Denmark two years ago while fixing equipment at petrol stations. This unit directed me down what looked like a farm track, turned out it was the 'staff entrance' for a motorway service station saving a 25 mile trip using real roads, anyone in anything bigger than a car would have got stuck. No idea what the make was, it looked like a mobile phone but had a separate small (bluetooth) receiver that needed to sit on the dashboard. It worked well and spoke all the directions in good time, repeating as the junction or whatever got closer. I simply had it in my shirt pocket, it seems to me there's been backwards step if large screen displays on sucker mounts are needed now.
Sat Nav on Mobile Phone - Good Idea? - drbe
Is a problem with misleading directions specific to mobile phone based sat nav?

I would think not.
Sat Nav on Mobile Phone - Good Idea? - normd2
I don't think anyone was actually implying this - I certainly wasn't.
Metallised windscreens and sat nav - Armitage Shanks {p}
Has technology advanced to the point where modern GPS units can pull in a signal thru either a Ford heated windscreen and/or a PSA metallised one? The latter has minute metal particles in it to reduce heat build up when parked in the sun and I can't get a signal thru it to my Garmin E Trex or my Origin B2; the latter has an Xtn aerial on the rear parcel shelf and that makes it OK, obviously!.
Metallised windscreens and sat nav - Manatee
Did a long journey in a Range Rover with a heated windscreen a couple of weeks ago - a Tom Tom One had no problem with the wires in the screen. Can't speak for the PSA ones.
Metallised windscreens and sat nav - Manatee
Above is a reply to AS of course!

{Sorted out the issue with Martin Devon posting to the wrong part of the thread - DD}
Metallised windscreens and sat nav - Waino
I can confirm that our Tomtom One v2 works fine under the Quickclear windscreens in both a Focus and Mondeo.
Metallised windscreens and sat nav - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks Waino and Manatee! The technology has obviously improved!
TomTom speed camera updates - Martin Devon
Can anyone point me to where you go for tomtom updates (Speed cameras) and can you add traffic info' to the . Too many sites out there!

vbr...........MD.
TomTom speed camera updates - Altea Ego
Can anyone point me to where you go for tomtom updates

Well officially you sign up and pay for TomTom services. This get you speed camera updates and Traffic info (via your bluetooth phone) for which you pay call charges,

I use this (and you have to pay for this too but its cheap and good) for speed cameras

www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TomTom speed camera updates - rtj70
If you are first to submit a new safety camera to pocketgpsworld then you will end up with free updates for life - well about 20 years.
Tom-Tom in France (Brittany) - jdc
I've noticed the other thread about driving to Brittany, but thought I'd ask this question separately.

I have recently got a Tom Tom One Europe, not very experienced with it and land in Cherbourg next Tuesday the have to drive to Benodet in Brittany.

A few years ago i remember ariving in Cherbourg and the drive down that peninsular was an absolute dog, but I think I ended up taking a scenic route by mistake. it seemed to take hours just to get to the 'mainland'

Question : if I put destination 'Benodet' when we get off the ferry, will it route me the fastest way, or will it take me through all the back roads ?

The Michelin directions say it will take about 4 1/2 hours.

Just wondering if anyone with more experience of Tom Tom can assist.

Cheers
jdc
Tom-Tom in France (Brittany) - a900ss
It depens upon what 'Planning prefernces' you have set in your tomtom. When it leaves the factory, it has 'Fastest Journey' set as the default. So unless you've changed it, that's what you'll get.
Tom-Tom in France (Brittany) - rich66
Why not just try it now? Put Cherbourg as the starting location and Benodet as the destination then look at the map it produces. You can even flip through the screens one by one as if you were already in France.

I use mine in France and usually it is pretty good. It tends to make mistakes in the mountains but your route should be fine I would expect. And yes, it is a surprisingly long way down that peninsular I agree.
Tom-Tom in France (Brittany) - rich66
p.s. I would have tried it on mine but the battery is flat and I've mislaid the charger. But basically, instead of leaving the starting point as the default 'home' you need the one to the right of that (I think it's called 'Advanced Planning') and from there you can put in your starting point. It probably has the port itself in the 'points of interest' section although you may need to run it through with just Cherbourg first and then do a second run.