Bye Bye - yorkiebar
Been on this site for a while and have come to the conclusion that it is a motoring site for those who want to pick at the trade rather than be helped by it. Especially having seen the bit by HJ about trade rip offs. If he feels that is helpful then its below words!

Had enough of the people who all feel that the motor trade is against them!

I prefer sites where people want help and listen to it so I am off!

Probably not missed by many (not concerned anyway) and probably cheered away by others (also not concerned).

But I just cannot justify my time for such attitudes. You get what you give is so true in all aspects of life; no wonder the world is against so many people!

Duplicated posts deleted - PU
Bye Bye - Clanger
It's a site where everyone has an opinion, and expresses it. I have read your contributions and learnt things. I have read replies to your contributions and haven't seen anything that doen't mirror real life; carping and bitching included. Thank you for your posts; goodbye and good luck.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Bye Bye - BazzaBear {P}
While you claim that you wont read this, still worth saying:
If you're going to leave a discussion forum because there are people on it who disagree with you, then I think you're psychologically unsuited to being on a discussion forum in the first place - it's the entire point of their existence.
On some of the threads you have been involved in, people could claim that there's a massive bias in favour of the trader. People who are just trying to work out how things work, and what their entitlements are when they're having a disagreement with a trader are given short shrift. Did any of those people flounce off in a huff?
(Actually, some of them probably did, but that just supports my first point!)

Anyway, bye bye!

BTW: I haven't actually read HJs work which has clearly caused such a kerfuffle, so this probably isn't worth much - but surely it is aimed specifically at rogue traders and not the entire industry?
If I say I used a mechanic the other who ripped me off, am I calling all mechanics criminals?
Bye Bye - Armitage Shanks {p}
It is a shame that anybody feels that they have to leave but this forum is bigger than any of the individuals in it and if people want to leave they obviously can. I have been reading and posting here for about 5 years and I have seen many threads where dealers and mechanics have come in for praise and thanks. There's black and there's white and there's many shades of grey in between - most of us can find somewhere comfortable to be within that spectrum.
Bye Bye - Lud
I am very sorry you have taken this decision YB, especially as in the recent thread on the trade I agreed with HJ and addressed my post partly to you.

Surely you cannot feel that HJ's pro-motorist stance is against the motor trade and aftermarket in general? He (and those of us who agree) are critical of those in the trade who engage in dubious practices. You must know they exist, and I would have thought that as an honest person you would feel the same about them as the rest of us.

This forum needs people like you who are more than knowledgeable and not-so-knowledgeable enthusiasts but have solid experiecne of the other side of things. I have valued your contributions and hate to think I may have helped to upset you.

Best wishes if you must go, but I hope you will reconsider.
Bye Bye - mal
>>>>I prefer sites where people want help and listen to it so I am off!<<<<

If that is what you prefer then there is not a better site than this one so can't really understand your reason for leaving.

Bye Bye - pendulum
If I was a motor trader I think I'd be off too to be honest. There's been a lot of anti-trader comments left recently. HJ's article wasn't the worst of it.
Bye Bye - mal
>>>>If I was a motor trader I think I'd be off too to be honest. There's been a lot of anti-trader comments left recently. HJ's article wasn't the worst of it.<<<<

Isn't it good to see differing opinions, wouldn't life be soooo boring if we all thought the same!!.
Bye Bye - OldHand
If you want to stop contributing to a website then just don't visit it any more. This kind of 'drama queen' attention seeking post just smacks of being pathetic in my opinion. What is announcing you're leaving meant to achieve?

Just go and close the door on your wayout.
Bye Bye - Fullchat
Shame you feel like that.
As a Police Officer, I hope that I can speak to for the others on this site, old and new. We come in for criticism on this site. But what keeps me going is the support we also receive. For me its an opportunity to offer a balanced view, say it as it is and to dispel public myths and misconceptions.
For me thats the beauty of this site, there are people from all different walks of life who have had different experiences and who are entiltled to their views.
--
Fullchat
Bye Bye - BazzaBear {P}
Shame you feel like that.
As a Police Officer ...

My blasphemy removed that's true. I hadn't even thought of that one! The police get a ridiculous amount of stick on here, and unlike the mechanic comments the anti-police ones usually are horrible generalising, accusing every police officer in the country of being corrupt and worse.
It amazes me that we still have officers on here willing to provide helpful advice and their side of the story.

By comparison this website is a mechanic love-in.
Bye Bye - Sprice
If you want to stop contributing to a website then just don't visit it any
more. This kind of 'drama queen' attention seeking post just smacks of being pathetic in my opinion. What is announcing you're leaving meant to achieve?

100% agree, maybe he was hoping for posts pleading for him to stay?
Bye Bye - kithmo
>> If you want to stop contributing to a website then just don't visit it
any
>> more. This kind of 'drama queen' attention seeking post just smacks of being pathetic
in my opinion. What is announcing you're leaving meant to achieve?

My sentiments exactly, file this post under whingers and whiners.
Bye Bye - Manatee
What is announcing you're leaving meant to achieve?

To tell the truth I've 'left' a few times - usually when what should be an interesting thread has deteriorated or been moderated in a way I thought stifled discussion - but it's not my train set, so I went home. I do the same at the village pub, it doesn't stop me going in again.

Why come back? I think this is absolutely the worst motoring discussion forum on the net, except, that is, for all the others ;-)
Bye Bye - aaflyer
Agree with Oldhand - you could pop up in the future with a different user name. Why do you need to tell us you are going...?

It's not as if I'm going to panic that someone isn't going to visit the site anymore...

Dear me!

AA
Bye Bye - Roly93
If I was a motor trader I think I'd be off too to be honest.
There's been a lot of anti-trader comments left recently. HJ's article wasn't the worst of
it.

I'm not a motor trader, but I agree with your words, maybe its time for a thread on positive motor trader experiences ??
Bye Bye - mal
>>>I'm not a motor trader, but I agree with your words, maybe its time for a thread on positive motor trader experiences ??<<<

And there has been such threads in the past.

In my opinion this as an excellent well balanced forum due to the members coming from all walks of life.
Bye Bye - Martin Devon
My experience of the Main dealer trade is one of a bunch of condescending, couldn't care less imbeciles who have sold discounted cars and who now try to rip all of us off with the aftermarket stuff. Independents seem, in the main OK. It amazes me how the Main dealers think we are all thick.

MD
Bye Bye - Dynamic Dave
so I am off!

What again? (ok, last time was down to me because you couldn't refrain from arguing with people that your point was more valid than theirs was, and it was starting to cause unpleasantness amongst the BR's)

wonder who you'll return as next time ;o)
Bye Bye - Dalglish
Been on this site for a while and have come to the conclusion that it is a motoring site for those who want to pick at the trade ...

honestjohn's telegraph column is headed: " Your questions answered by the dealer you can trust "

you can draw the inference about hj's raison d?être from that, and what that may imply about other dealers.

otherwise, ask yourself why would it need to be said and why his nom de plume is "honestjohn".

Bye Bye - Screwloose
Yorkie

When I saw the heading of this thread I didn't need two guesses to know what it was about.

I felt exactly the same when I read that unspeakable piece and my subsequent post was many-times modifed by the time it appeared - it's initial form was not a lot different to yours. Take - another - day, or two, to reflect and then weigh things up again. You are needed here - and the promised spot of sunshine may help too.

I must first apologise to HJ for being impolite to him while a "guest" on his site: but he allowed his good name and credibility to be attached to that piece of "entertainment" [more suited to appear in the "Daily Scum" than a serious paper] and he must have intended it's effect on the 95% of honest people that work in this trade. [At least outside London.]

Certainly, he should be on the motorist's side - and in exposing the small crooked element he does everyone a favour; but most of the "scams" listed either simply wouldn't work, or were last used by Noah. Hence my comment that he doesn't understand the modern realities. [I'd be happy to deconstruct that farrago line-by-line just to show how unreal and unfair it was.]

Coming from him; readers would accept such "inaccuracies" as gospel - far more so than from some pub-bound motoring journalist. Every survivor in this trade has a thick skin and can take the flak from the uninformed; but HJ is different - that piece was a cheap shot and does no-one any credit.

Bye Bye - Westpig
Interesting thread.........if a group of people have been unfairly maligned, then patiently take the trouble to explain why you think that is so......if you do it properly, with the appropriate evidence thrown in, you'll win your arguement.

Getting the hump doesn't achieve anything, other than having people think you're frustrated because your arguement is not winnable.

There are obviously good car dealers and good mechanics in the same fashion there are good plumbers and bad plumbers (profession choses at random...in case any plumbers get the ache), it's just that we were discussing the bad ones.

The bad ones are out there....we all know that.......why be defensive of poor representatives of your chosen profession, it just rubs off on you?

Bye Bye - Dalglish
.... but most of the "scams" listed either simply wouldn't work, or were last used by Noah. Hence my comment that he doesn't

understand the modern realities. [I'd be happy to deconstruct that farrago line-by-line just to show how unreal and unfair it was.]
Coming from him; readers would accept such "inaccuracies" as gospel - far more so than from some pub-bound motoring journalist. Every survivor in this trade has a thick skin and can take the flak from the uninformed; but HJ is different - that piece was a cheap shot and does no-one any credit. >>

in reply to above few lines by screwloose:

that "cheap shot" is still stored as a news item on this website.

so why not use "a right to reply" and write to hj formally to "deconstruct that farrago line-by-line" if you are that confident of your case?

i shall look forward to reading your piece, if you are up to the challenge.

Bye Bye - L'escargot
If and when I leave I hope I will do so gracefully and with no recriminations whatsoever. There's no point in moaning about something in your final post.
--
L\'escargot.
Bye Bye - Westpig
As and when i leave i'm not anticipating being around to dictate any terms.... :-)
Bye Bye - L'escargot
Westpig, you could always instruct the executor of your will regarding the wording of your last post! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Bye Bye - Pugugly {P}
! !
Bye Bye - Dalglish
.. you could always instruct ... of your last post! ;-)

l'escargot : i have left you a message at
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=54262&...e

Bye Bye - whoopwhoop
From what I hear, HJ's post has upset a great many in the trade........ certainly hasn't impressed or won any friends.

It will bite too... slating dealers = sends people to independents for servicing = dealers profit margins reduce = manufacturers have to up their subsidy's in order to keep dealers afloat in order to retain the critical mass of outlets.

Wouldn't suprise me if there isn't a significant drop-off in HJ Road Tests over the next few months while the trade responds in earnest...
Bye Bye - BazzaBear {P}
It will bite too... slating dealers = sends people to independents for servicing

Surely all the points mentioned by DHJ could just as eaily be perpetrated by independents?
Bye Bye - whoopwhoop
>> It will bite too... slating dealers = sends people to independents for servicing
Surely all the points mentioned by DHJ could just as eaily be perpetrated by independents?

correct, although as the tone of the article was aimed towards main agents, thats irrelevant.

P.S. LOL @ "DHJ" :-)
Bye Bye - BazzaBear {P}
Certainly he should be on the motorist's side - and in exposing the small crooked
element he does everyone a favour; but most of the "scams" listed either simply wouldn't
work or were last used by Noah. Hence my comment that he doesn't understand the
modern realities. [I'd be happy to deconstruct that farrago line-by-line just to show how unreal
and unfair it was.]

Go for it, start a new thread on it. It would doubtless be very easy to read, and it would mean that one of you was intelligently arguing the point rather than just throwing your collective toys out of the pram.

Again, the piece is clearly a warning about scams which can be perpetrated, and therefore can only be aimed at crooked mechanics, why therefore are you so determined to take it as a swipe at ALL mechanics?
Bye Bye - Clanger
With the benefit of a few bottles of San Mig inside me, I've decided I don't want to "leave". If I go I want to be ejected with some force and have the mods. do something terminal with IP addresses and techie stuff. No, no. Not now. When I've done something vile, immoderate and heinous that may or may not feature on News at Ten.

Slurp.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Bye Bye - Altea Ego
I offered my resignation, but the mods said that some people on here need to suffer.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Bye Bye - Pugugly {P}
Yes RF it was something like that.

Sorry to drag this back to the the topic posted by Yorkiebar, but you've ended up debating the same issues in two different threads. Wave bye bye to him by all means in here, but to keep the other debate live post your views on the HJ's article in the other one.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=54...7

PU
Bye Bye - Martin Devon
If you've got a spare Gordons and Tonic available my dear...I'll join you....MD
Bye Bye - Pugugly {P}
Locking this now - all debate in the other thread. May have lost a few posts in the move, but hey you know the risks ! - PU

click below to go there if you want to add anything.

Thanks.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=54...7

Ask Honest John Right column

Value my car