Peugeot 206 2003 Coil Pack Failure - John S
A friend rang last night to say that her 206 has been diagnosed with coil pack failure by the Pug dealer. The dealer says that the car has the 'early' system which will be replaced with a later (and one hopes more reliable) version. Car is under 4 years old and has done about 36k. Out of warranty on time, but mileage not high. I've suggested she contact Pug on the basis that the modified coil pack indicates a known problem and that if it had been used more it probably would have failed within the 3 years. Before she calls, can anyone advise if this is a 'known' problem, which may help her case.

TIA

JS
Peugeot 206 2003 Coil Pack Failure - Armitage Shanks {p}
You might find this unpleasant reading although it is sensationalist Watchdog treatment of the problem! www.dvdcompare.net/peugeotfault.php

Thanks AS

Seems she's not alone with this, although at least on this car the EML came up. Seems the coil pack failure can spike ECUs too, so fingers crossed.

JS
Peugeot 206 2003 Coil Pack Failure - Screwloose
JS

Why make such a drama about it? So; the coil's failed - it happens.

PSA fit two alternative coil brands on the KFX; the unreliable Sagem one [which does often back-spike the idle circuit of the £250 ECU] and the far superior Bougicord-Electrofil. The dealer was just telling her that they'd gone to the trouble of selecting and fitting the better one of the two.

Frankly; I'll bin every Sagem pack that I come across anyway. You either change them before they spike the ECU - or because they have spiked the ECU.

As to the rambling nonsense in the Watchdog link: that's not a design fault - just a failure of competent diagnosis. If it cuts and leaves no codes, it's likely a fundamental. ECU feed/earth; connexion fault; or crank sensor. [None of those appear on the "changed" list.....]
Screwloose

Not making a drama - just trying to save a not-too-well-off friend some hard earned! I agree the watchdog article and the posts in the link should be treated with caution, but coil failure is a fairly common theme. Your post confirms that one coil type is suspect, for which many thanks.

I will give her the information on the more reliable type of coil so she can check what is to be fitted. Given that the dealer probably recognises the problem the cost of a phone call to Pug customer services is justified.

JS
Peugeot 206 2003 Coil Pack Failure - whoopwhoop
Agreed - not sure what screwloose's problem is, but if I had a 36k 4 yr old car with a component failure, I would think it reasonable to ask the manufacturer for some contribution (and most manufacturers would oblige). Especially as a "better" part suggests the original one fitted clearly wasn't the best design!