Pelican Zig-Zags - oldbuffer
Can I legally park on the grass verge that runs along side of the road in the space between a pelican crossing zig-zags and the pavement? The remainder of the road outside of the markings have double yellow lines.

Can anyone enlighten me please?
Pelican Zig-Zags - helicopter
Nay , Nay and thrice nay in the words of Frankie Howard.

Parking restrictions run from verge to verge .

I'm sure DVD or one of the boys in blue in the backroom will give you chapter and verse.

I did not manage to convince the desk sergeant in my local nick when I got a ticket for parking off road on the verge....cost me £30 :(
Pelican Zig-Zags - helicopter
Perhaps I should have made that clearer , ie that parking restrictions on the road INCLUDE the verge up to the curtilage ( I don't know what it means either but it sounds good) of the property at the roadside.

I think coomon sense should dictate that it is doubly wrong to park on a verge within the zigzags as you would also be resticting the view of motorists approaching the crossing.

In my case it was a single yellow line road and I was parked in what was a fenced off entrance to an industrial area on asphalt , no obstruction to anyone at all but still got done...
Pelican Zig-Zags - Marc4Six
curtilage
n. courtyard; land attached to house.
Pelican Zig-Zags - JH
Marc
not as simple as that I'm afraid. I'm sure someone here has more knowledge than me but part of our garden is garden and part of it is agricultural land. The garden is within the curtilage, the ag land is outside. If I sound like I know what I'm talking about then I'm pulling the wool over your eyes! It caused a lot of agro when I wanted to build a garage and inadvertently sited it outside of the curtilage. I didn't even know I had one up until then, nor what is was.
JH
Pelican Zig-Zags - Dwight Van Driver
The Zebra, Pelican and Puffin Pedestrian Crossings Regulations and General Directions 1997

Where a crossing is on a two-way street the road markings to indicate each controlled area and stop line shall consist of -

(a) a stop line parallel to the nearer row of studs indicating the limits of the crossing and extending, in the manner indicated in the appropriate diagram, across the part of the carriageway used by vehicles approaching the crossing from the side on which the stop line is placed; and

(b) two or more longitudinal zig-zag lines or, in the case of a road having more than one carriageway, two or more such lines on each carriageway, each zig-zag line containing not less than 8 nor more than 18 marks and extending away from the crossing.

This is the 'controlled' area and which I take to be the limits of the crossing.

Prohibition against the stopping of vehicles on crossings

Reg 18. The driver of a vehicle shall not cause the vehicle or any part of it to stop within the limits of a crossing unless he is prevented from proceeding by circumstances beyond his control or it is necessary for him to stop to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

So it would therefore appear under these Regs no offence to park outside the limits on a grass verge. My 'Know your Traffic Signs' Booklet issued by DoT does state offence to park or wait WITHIN the area of the zig zag markings.

BUT

Offence under S 76 Highways Act 1835 (no exceptions Camera Vans please note) to wilfully park on a footpath or causeway by the side of a road set apart for the use, accomodation of foot passengers

Section 34 RTA 1988

if without lawful authority a person drives a motor vehicle?
(a) on to or upon any common land, moorland or land of any other description, not being land forming part of a road, or
(b) on any road being a footpath or bridleway,
he is guilty of an offence.

(2) It is not an offence under this section to drive a motor vehicle on any land within fifteen yards of a road, being a road on which a motor vehicle may lawfully be driven, for the purpose only of parking the vehicle on that land.

S192
Road defined :"road", in relation to England and Wales, means any highway and any other road to which the public has access, and includes bridges over which a road passes.

Dvd
Pelican Zig-Zags - oldbuffer
Thanks everyone, I saw a traffic warden, sorry, parking attendant, walk past and ignore a car parked in the situation I described.

Perhaps the car belonged to his mate.
Pelican Zig-Zags - JH
D
I recently saw a car double park on the zig zags (yes there was already one there) while he nipped into a shop. I think the two of them should be taken outside and told not to do it again. Maybe with some finger wagging so it really sinks in. I know we're in a nanny state but sometimes I think we deserve it.
JH