What are the latest motorbike rules? - stevek
I passed my car test in 1975 and from memory was allowed to ride a moped without L plates and up to 125cc with L plates. I would like to get back in the saddle again but what are the latest rules and do these limits still apply.
I would ideally like to get an old Honda CB175 Benley as my final bike.
Appreciate any help.
What are the latest motorbike rules? - Pugugly {P}
"Honda CB175 Benley as my final bike"

WHAT ?!

What are the latest motorbike rules? - Martin Devon
Ours is not to reason why PU.

vbr MD
Sorry you're right.....I retract my exclamation. Are there any around though ?
What are the latest motorbike rules? - Robin Reliant
A CB175 was my first bike. As for finding one now, they nearly all succumbed to frame rot in the end. Once any enamel chipped off the frame and the brown stuff began to form the countdown to the scrapyard began.

No harm either, compared to today's bikes they handled like a shopping trolly and the brakes were a very quick cure for constipation.

As for the change in the rules since the seventies trip round the block test, you now have to take a motorcycle theory test even if you hold a car licence, followed by a CBT test before you can go unaccompanied on the road on L's. Then you have to take the full motorcycle test in order to obtain the licence.

Don't waste your money unless you want to get a decent bike.
--
A modern Benley would be a BMW F650......but without the vices, lightweight, reliable and well made, and invisible to the masses.
What are the latest motorbike rules? - Martin Devon
CB 175 fine, (at the time). Passed my test on a borrowed CD 175 as my Montesa trials bike was orf the road. (Seriously). Got rollocked by the tester for a loose chain. Said the bike "ain't mine." He grimaced, but passed me anyway.

MD.
What are the latest motorbike rules? - happytorque
Please excuse me for asking....but what on earth is attracting you to a CB 175 Benley? I would venture to suggest that almost any other bike on the planet would be more rewarding to ride?
What are the latest motorbike rules? - bazza
To answer the question:

Depending on your age, and you sound similar to me, your car licence provides you a provisional motorcycle licence. You need to do the CBT (compulsory basic training). Then you can ride up to 125 cc with L plates for 2 years. During that period, you can take your test. There are two options for you:
Take the test on a 125, pass and ride a bike with no more than 33bhp for 2 years, then ride anything after that period, or
Take the test on a larger machine eg 500cc, using the Direct Access route, where you go through structured practical training using radio contact etc with approved instructors. Pass the test and ride anything.
Best talk to your local bike school. And you need to do the theory test as well (bit of a pain but useful refresher)
Hope that helps
Baz
What are the latest motorbike rules? - Dwight Van Driver
If you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001 and if it covers P Group you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped. Like the old days no Ls

Def of modern mopeds afer 1.8.77:

Max design speed n/e 50 kph- cylinder capacity n/e 50 cc. (108(1) RTA 88)

Over that proceed as per Bazza.

dvd
What are the latest motorbike rules? - Cliff Pope
So with an old-style car licence (eg in 1966) one could ride a small moped indefinitely without L-plates without the need for any tests?

I'm not seriously wanting to, but I can see the usefulness of one of these tiny mopedettes for around London say. Keep it in a flat hallway like a pushbike.
What are the latest motorbike rules? - cheddar
IIRC the CD175 had a single carb and the CB twin carbs.

The Benley was a CD175

www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/ho...g

The CB175

I can see the attraction of a CB 175 as a classic small bike though would prefer a 400/4 or 550/4.

What are the latest motorbike rules? - stevek
Thanks for the replies. I have looked at my licence and it does have a P class on it.
If I buy a 125 then it looks like I will have to have CBT and then be limited for up to two years. Then take test.

What are the latest motorbike rules? - bathtub tom
There was a CD175 at Harpenden, and also something possibly older that looked a bit like an original 250cc dream but without the 'rounded-off square' rear spring/shockers I seem to recall they had. The guy I was with wouldn't let me have a closer look, 'cos he used to have a Duke, and was chatting to a mate on a Comet!
What are the latest motorbike rules? - doug_523i
The UK Benley was a CD185, the CD175 was the familiar Red or Blue metallic single carb job with the chrome on the petrol tanks, circa 1970.
What are the latest motorbike rules? - lucklesspedestrian
No actual Benlys here but there are similar and there's usually new stock in every week or so.

The CB500's in particular have me drooling!

www.classichondamotorcycles.co.uk/bikes/bikes.asp
What are the latest motorbike rules? - J Bonington Jagworth
Thank you LLP for that link. Amazed that such a selection of machines from that era are still in good fettle - certainly argues that they were better made than was generally held to be the case at the time! Love that Laverda 1200, too - only hairy bikers need apply...