Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - LHM
Can anyone clarify the legal position on bonnet mascots?

In the olden days, many 'marques' have been fitted with such mascots - of varying aesthetic value. More recently, pedestrian injury concerns have led to these appendages being either spring-loaded, or removed completely.

I have, however, seen (for example) Jaguar mascots being attached to models which originally had none fitted. Are these legal (even if spring-loaded) - if the car was not equipped with them when type approved?

As for the 'naffness' factor - I refer to Alsatian (sorry, German Shepherd) dogs proudly sitting on a Range Rover bonnet...... Mmmmmm, nice!
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - cheddar
Naffer than the naffest naffness from Naffchester!

Oh and potentially lethal!
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - pendulum
www.louislejeune.com/information.php/info_id/9
Oh no, Pendulum - it's worse than I thought......
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - normd2
If I or one of my family was injured by one of these things I'd sue. There cannot be any justification for them and they make a mockery of car designers attempts to make cars more 'accident friendly' A popular mascot up here near the river Tay is a leaping salmon which would do serious damage to anyone unfortunate enough to be hit by it.
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - Altea Ego
Louis Lejeune Ltd. accepts no responsibility for injury as a result of the mounting of one of their products on a motor vehicle.

says it all really. As in "we make these thing and sell them to you, knowing full well that they might injure someone and dont really care"

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - cheddar
As in "we make these thing and sell them to you
knowing full well that they might injure someone and dont really care"

To be fair you could say the same about the car / bike manufacturers.

Also of course fire arms, knives etc etc.

Bonnot mascots should be banned though.
Yes cheddar the similarity with makers of firearms is a fair one I think. The sale of fireamrs tho (in the uk at least) is heavily restricted.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - Pugugly {P}
".... is heavily restricted."

In our local town to when a particular pub is closed....
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - Lud
Although they differ greatly in aesthetic merit, bonnet mascots seem to me a charming manifestation of egotism, and of fondness for the various creatures represented in the mascots. Some of them - like some of the ones cars were made with in days of yore - do look as if they would gouge a pedestrian, but I am getting tired of people complaining about the naffness of everything.

If you want to keep the health and safety wonks in the back room happy, you can't have one and that's that. If you choose instead to decorate your wagon with go-faster stripes or a personalised number plate in Cyrillic script, the aesthetic police and tutting legalist number-plate proofreaders come out in force.

No doubt discreet coach lines and tiny initials or escutcheons painted on doors will also be dismissed here.

Spoilsports.
bonnet mascots seem to me a charming manifestation of egotism, and of fondness for the various creatures represented in the mascots. Some of them - like some of the ones cars were made with in days of yore - do look as if they would gouge a pedestrian, but I am getting tired of people complaining about the naffness of everything.

Lud, you have confirmed to me that your taste is of such a low level as to be indescrieable, even for me. They are the naffest thing ever invented to fit on an automobile. In no way are they charming.

If however, it was a Lalique mascot, it might, just, be acceptable. On the right car.

Wouldnt last long tho.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
confirmed to me that your taste is of such a low level
If however it was a Lalique mascot

My pithy one-word response to TVM's piece of cheek having been censored by a gremlin, let me point out that those who bind on about the aesthetic taste of others are usually unsure of their own.

Of course I am sure TVM is, er, sure of his.

But why Lalique only? Got a thing about glass have you?

Overdressed person who lives on immoral earnings.
Fully aware of the various definitions. Binned by Mods. End of chat. PU
But why Lalique only? Got a thing about glass have you?

It has a good motoring connection. Renee Lalique created several very fine art nouveau glass car mascots, the finest (in my eyes) being "Victoire". This is a work of art in its own right.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Haven't made a study of Lalique mascots TVM but of course knew they existed, have seen a few in the flesh in my time and generally like Art Deco myself.

My Bentley's 'winged B' was nicked in the street opposite my then house c.1969. The flat cap which replaced it was also nicked, but a small screw through the base managed to retain the second replacement. They weren't cheap either, and the winged B would have been rather dear.

Does make me laugh though that the RR spirit of ecstasy mascot now has a trick mounting so that it vanishes if pressure is applied to it. Given the sharp edges and corners of the RR radiator, why bother? Might as well be hanged for a meatloaf as a kebab (how about that for good taste then TVM?).
Hmmm - £272 for a gold-plated charging rhino. Now where's that Chrysler 300C brochure......

Chacun à son goût, I suppose - otherwise how would 'Franklin Mint' survive?
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - Waino
There cannot be any justification for them and they make a mockery of car

designers attempts to make cars more 'accident friendly' >>

As these are most commonly seen on the bonnets of Range Rovers, would you imagine that the drivers really care about the safety of others or, for that matter, have good taste?
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - billy25
Personally, i would never fit one, but as the manufacturers say, if they are designed to come off in an impact or fold flat, I cant see a problem with them. Anybody hit by a car at a speed capable of giving injury is going to get hurt, a "safety" Mascot isn't going to make much difference.

How about fitting a St Christopher to the grille to "protect" people!!!

Billy
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - Chris S
Are after-market bull bars still legal?
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - yorkiebar
Dont want one and dont like "ordinary" cars with them on.

But as to be worried about 1 injuring you or any other person in anaccident is imo amazing. Theres an awful lot of metal/glass/plastic at the front of any car that is going to hit and hurt a whole lot more than any mascot !
But as to be worried about 1 injuring you or any other person in an accident
is imo amazing. ......

At high impact speeds, maybe less of an issue - but even at <20 mph a mascot could still put a nasty rip down your face.
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - Ian (Cape Town)
Safety issues aside ...
damn hideous. I don't think 'naff' is quite harsh enough a word.
The automotive equivalent of three plaster ducks on the wall.
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - normd2
modern cars are designed to make the 'victim' end up on the bonnet rather than be knocked down and under the wheels - what happens when this is on that bonnet?

www.louislejeune.com/index.php/cPath/5_34
A lawsuit that's what happens, then an insurance company will say that it was an unreported "modification" , then wave bye bye to your house.
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - billy25
If I saw that on a car, I would have to stick a cork on the end!!!
what happens when this is on that bonnet?>>

Why stop there? Why not mount knives on the wheels like Boadicea?
And drive around St. Albans for good measure.
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - doug_523i
How's about teaching road safety to pedestrians, and then maybe it wouldn't matter what was on the bonnet.
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - Round The Bend
"charming manifestation of egotism" = chav
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - eProf
Waino asked
Why not mount knives on the wheels like Boadicea

PU suggested
And drive around St. Albans for good measure.

I do and it works a treat! Just remember to keep them sharp!
--
e Prôf - Another Recycled Teenager
Bonnet mascots - legal/naff? - henry k
As these are most commonly seen on the bonnets of Range Rovers would you imagine
that the drivers really care about the safety of others or for that matter have
good taste?

>>
No problem. The following have royal approval.

www.louislejeune.com/information.php/info_id/8
No problem. The following have royal approval.>>

Ah, that proves my point connecting Range Rovers and good taste ;-)

I can't quite see one of these things adorning the bonnet of my old Mondy. Still, at £200 it would double the value of the old girl!