04 Forester 2.0 - Coolant replacement - legacylad
I met a friend of mine this lunchtime and he casually mentioned that his coolant was low and needed topping up.I cannot remember ever having to top up coolant in my own vehicles, but he was told by a lady in a car accessory shop to top up with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze & water.
My friend says there is nothing in his vehicle handbook to say what coolant should be used, but surely not this antifreeze mix?
He drives an 04 Subaru Forester 2.0X.
Any advice please.

Slight tweak to identify make/model - PU
04 Forester 2.0 - Coolant replacement - Aprilia
Subaru Forester will be on a 3-year, 36000 mile coolant replacement interval.

All the old coolant should be drained out and replaced with a 50:50 mix of Subaru recommended antifreeze concentrate (get from the dealer in 1 litre bottles) and distilled water from a car accessory shop (about £3 for a gallon).

The total system capacity is just under 7 litres, so you will need to buy 4x1 litre bottles of concentrate.

Note that the system is filled via the little tank with the pressure cap - NOT the overflow bottle. The overflow bottle should be emptied and refilled with a fresh 50:50 mix.

Once it looks full run the engine until it is hot (thermostat opens and top of rad gets hot). Then let it cool down and top up via the pressure cap and also top up the overflow tank to the max line.
04 Forester 2.0 - Coolant replacement - legacylad
Thank you Aprilia, I have passed the message on.
They have a 240 mile drive down to Pembroke today on holiday, so I hope the coolant loss is not major....the vehicle has done 40k and I am told that the coolant change was carried out at the last service.