Mazda CX-7 Road Test - ForumNeedsModerating
Are Mazda serious? As quoted from HJ 'Sportscar on Stilts' with combined MPG of 27.7, £400 VED p.a.,Kerb weight 1,770kg. , hard suspension.

Did this one slip through as the last of the gas guzzlers, do they take no notice of current trends, of exponentially rising taxes direct & indirect, on vehicles especially of this type? Even Subaru have seen the light - their high-performance high-consumption petrol engined profile id being tempered by new diesel engined versions & less emphasis on the boy racer model line-up. Although the test quotes, apparently booming & rising SUV sales, the fact is Ford is in difficulty in the U.S. through its reliance on the (falling) profits on SUV's & most price/residual predictors say petrol driven SUV's are (and will increasingly be) hit hardest in the future. The tyres alone (235x60x18) must cost near £1K per set. The same applies to the other ridiculous monstrosities produced by BMW (X5), LandRover (RangeRover petrol versions esp.) Porsche (Cayenne) & the Benz Behemoths. The SUV acronym stands for Silly Ugly Vehicles, imho.
Mazda CX-7 Road Test - tyro
The SUV acronym stands for Silly Ugly Vehicles imho.

Are you sure you don't mean imo? :-)

We are all entitled to our preferences in vehicles, but there is no need to be abusive about cars we don't like.

Personally I can't see the point of cars without roofs, but that's just me, and I don't make a habit of slagging them off.

Personally, I'd rather like to try out a CX-7, though I could never justify buying one.
Mazda CX-7 Road Test - boxsterboy
Yes, I too found the Mazda CX-7 a pretty ridiculous idea.

If you want a sports car - buy a sports car. Whether saloon or coupe.

If you want a 4x4 - buy a 4x4.

If you want a family car, buy a family car - MPV, estate or 4x4.

Why would you want a raised 'sports' 4x4 car with presumably dire consequences on handling etc.? And presumably the other dynamics associated with sports cars. All cars are compromioses to some extent, but I can't help think that if you want a sports car and a 4x4, you would be better off with one of each, rather than this excessively compromised car. And to not have a diesel in this size car is surely commercial suicide in the UK and Europe?

The worry is that scoop photos show BMW coming along with similar concepts. Oh dear!
Mazda CX-7 Road Test - Pendlebury
Unfortunatley there are a lot of people out there who are sold by the marketing rubbish on 'cross-over' vehicles in that they really believe they can have that sports car with a high driving position, off road ability and seat 7 people. When in fact all they are getting in most cases is a compromise not a cross-over.
I have no doubt it will sell in the UK - but not with my money.
Mazda CX-7 Road Test - LinuxGeek
I think its a trend which most Japanese cars follow, launch the model with couple of petrol engines and then after a year or so start releasing the diesel models? Maybe they want to rectify all the issues which petrol models experience before releasing the diesels?
Mazda CX-7 Road Test - Pendlebury
>>Maybe they want to rectify all the issues which petrol models experience before releasing the diesels? <<

I could well imagine Japanese car company bosses being horrified at your statment that they put cars into service for the public to do their development work for them.
Mazda CX-7 Road Test - Happy Blue!
Its not so different to my Outback 3.0Rn with 245bhp and five speed tiptronic. I know which one I would rather have.
I would still rather keep my 911 and let SWMBO keep her C8. That way we've got the best of both worlds, rather than a compromise of the two.
Mazda CX-7 Road Test - flunky
I would still rather keep my 911 and let SWMBO keep her C8. That way
we've got the best of both worlds rather than a compromise of the two.

Except at £22k, it's rather cheaper than a 911, and £6k cheaper than an X3. The target market might be happy to pay £6k for the BMW badge however.
Oh, have no fear, I don't have the money to blow on a new 911!!
Mazda CX-7 Road Test - Aprilia
Seems that everyone is fighting over smaller and smaller 'niches'.

The idea of a 'sports' SUV is comical to say the least. An knowledge of the basics of chassis behaviour and some O-level maths will lead to a conclusion that road grip deteriorates as the height of the centre of gravity of vehicle increases - you can't beat the physics. That's why true sportscars are low to the ground, to get the lowest possible CoG. You can make 4x4's handle OK (as in over/understeer balance) but grip and traction are compromised.
If you want 4x4-type capability and good road behaviour then look to Subaru.
If you want 4x4-type capability and good road behaviour then look to Subaru.

Yes. They've always looked properly engineered for the job - even the relatively 'tall' Outback/Forester series manage, via their boxer engine config., to 'hide' their (low) true CoG. I was seriously tempted by the Forester 2.5 XT - I wanted genuine practicality & fun, but not in an ernormous 'wrapper' - only the wallet-depleting fuel consumption stayed my hand.

Aprilia, what's your take on the forthcoming diesel boxer engined versions? Any foreknowledge or predictions about outputs/consumption etc.?

Mazda CX-7 Road Test - Aprilia
Aprilia what's your take on the forthcoming diesel boxer engined versions? Any foreknowledge or predictions
about outputs/consumption etc.?

Only seen the same info as everyone else I'm afraid.
here you are woodbines,
Courtesy Car magazine:

Subaru is being cagey about any more details at this stage, but claims the new engine has a very rigid block with low noise and vibration levels ? so much so, that it doesn't need a balancer shaft. Expect the 2.0-litre flat four to develop around 165bhp and 250lb ft of torque.

looks quite enticing...
thanks woodbines!

Oh, don't I know you btw?

Mazda CX-7 Road Test - Altea Ego
Yes you were very unkind about him, and insulted him the other week. Suprised he is talking to you.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
No, he's not always nice to me. Still, he's company at least (!)
Mazda CX-7 Road Test - LinuxGeek
You're saying as if you've never heard of "recalls" in car industry! As far as I know quite often when a new model is launched by any car manufacturer, few glitches are found early on which are then rectified by the manufacturer!!!
Mazda CX-7 Road Test - ajit
Well if you live in India and want something sporty buy hampered with rough roads, speed breakers, road debris, etc , where Honda Civics ground themselves when laden and the odd few idiots who no longer want to take their Murcilago's out since they scrape the roads and can't do not much else

This is the car for us!!!