Variable Speed Limts - M25 and M42 - DSLRed
Can anyone shed light on whether there are actually cameras on each gantry in the variable speed limit sections of the M25 and M42. And do they actually book people?

Or are they on some of them only. Or perhaps none at all.

The reason I ask is that I have cause to drive through the M42 stretch quite a lot, mostly later at night when the motorway is quite quiet and I always seem to be the only driver on there who worries about sticking to the limit. I drive through watching the other cars whizz past me without a care and think that either there must be an awful lot of points flying around or they know something I don't.

In fact, when Big Brother imposes a limit of 50, reducing to 40, as standard practise when there is some kind of minor issue about 4 miles up front, it is 10.30 at night, and the traffic is very sparse, it seems to me to be kind of dangerous to slow to 40 when everyone else is happy to do 80.

Thanks
Variable Speed Limts - M25 and M42 - David Horn
M25 yes. M42, I think the software is still knackered.
Variable Speed Limts - M25 and M42 - ijws15
Not on every gantry of the M42.

I am always very careful on there - as everyone else is when the limits are on. Not sure if the cameras are still set when the limits are off - best to be carefull!
Variable Speed Limts - M25 and M42 - Altea Ego
M42 - dont know

M25 there is 1 camera southbound between m40 and M4, and two northbound.
There are none between M4 and M3 both ways
There is a shedload between m3 and A3 both ways.

The cameras are not set when the limits are off.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Variable Speed Limts - M25 and M42 - audiA6tdi
The m42 camera's do not operate when the speed limit signs are off, i often go over the limit down there as do many other drivers.
I sold a car to a guy a few weeks back who said he goes over the limit when the signs are switch ON, and has been for the past year and never got caught. Apperently they are not operational yet. Ive never seen one flash, tho i wouldnt chance it going over the limit when the signs are in operation.
thanks

dave
Dont be guided by flashes or not. Rumour has it that the M42 section and the newer M25 section will be policed by specs type cameras.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Variable Speed Limts - M25 and M42 - DrS
I was driving c/wise around the 25 a few weeks back, at night, and the cameras on the other carriageway were going off like disco lights. You could see them from hundreds of yards away.
Surely so many people can't be so foolish?
Can they?
Variable Speed Limts - M25 and M42 - Chris White

I've seen the same thing, but then I've also gone the other way and been flashed but never got tickets through. I don't know if I'm lucky or they just don't really work.......

Chris
The M25 ones are standard gatsos, in a different box. They need to be loaded with film. Not an easy job up there, and given the volume of traffic the film dont last long.

Its a situation that wont last as I indicated further up the thread.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Variable Speed Limts - M25 and M42 - Steve Pearce
I can confirm there are no speed cameras at the moment on the M3/M4 section of the M25. All the gantries were replaced a couple of years ago as part of the widening work and although the holes in the gantries are there and ready for cameras, they have never been installed. I travel this section most days and keep an eye out for any change of status.
Variable Speed Limts - M25 and M42 - cottontop
For the ones on the M42, working or not the rule I use, is that if they are installed, they are on both sides so if you are driving in one direction you can look up at the other directions gantry and see if they in place and take necessary action.

Personally I would like to see them do the same on the M6 from the top of the Toll road south....

Rich
which is why on the M25 they did not put them on the gantries on both sides at once. Or use any other other kind of regular pattern.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >