Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - PhilDews
Right, further to my previous post re 4x4s, I've now decided to take the plunge and have a 4x4 and a smaller car (which the good lady can also learn to drive in...)

But, having racked my brains I can't come up with a supermini (or similar) sized car that has the following criteria:

1. Must Must Must have a centre arm rest. Without it I get a really bad shoulder
2. Diesel also a must. Haven't got the ability to drive a petrol without revving it to death
3. Automatic is a 'would be nice'
4. Seats must be okay for a 6' person - I find the Micra seats too small to support my shoulders

I know this is a long list for what most people would define as a shopping trolley, but I'm hoping someone can throw some decent cars into the equation......

Over to you!
Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - madf
Yaris T Spirit diesel auto
madf
Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - Citroënian {P}
New Mini One D

not sure if they do an auto though - they're releasing some in a couple of weeks with new greener configurations so these may have the auto option.
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - scrapmetal
Try a nissan note. I know they are based on a micra but they feel much more comfortable, not sure about diesel AND auto though.
Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - Bromptonaut
A Berlingo would tick most of the boxes except auto ;-)

Front armrests are an extra on Forte but part of the package with Desire trim
Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - GregSwain
Kia Rio LX CRDi - cracking diesel engine, drivers' armrest on the LX model, alloys, aircon, front fogs etc etc. Not available in diesel AND auto, but there's a petrol 1.4 16v auto model, although the diesel engine is vastly better, and goes like the clappers (110bhp in a supermini!). Cheap on insurance too, which might be of interest if it'll be learnt in!
Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - Stuartli
Not sure about the Golf, but my Bora has a centre armrest - it's permanently up as I find it a darn nuisance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - Pugugly {P}
Extra on the Golf. Can be retrofited as well.
Hmm - the Kia Rio I'll admit to not thinking of, never ever...

The Golf is in pole-position at the minute - a 2002 GT TDI 130 with a mere 88K on the clock for a tad over £5K seems to be one of the best deals (and before anyone says about Golf reliability etc.., I've had a Golf previously and I loved it!)

But I think now warrants a trip over to the autotrader site to see what the diesel Kia Rio is going for.

The biggest question is - can I persuade the wife that its a good car? The 110bhp will help (she might only be a learner, but god help anyone who tries to take her on from the lights - I didn't teach her that I should add)
Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - Citroënian {P}
So Golf, small car, supermini?!

If we're into cars that size you should look at a 147 JTD too, will tick all boxes
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - Happy Blue!
Mercedes A-class? Small, diesel, auto, armrest and loads of room inside.
Have just had a look at the Kia Rio - looks a nice car, should be cheap to run, might have to have a trip down to the local Kia dealer this week to see if its as nice in the flesh so to speak.

This is what I love about this forum - plenty of ideas, discussion and debate, even if you don't always agree with whats said.

Kia Rio - who'd have thought it?? Now if they also had a fairly cheap Sorento or even Sportage, I'd be laughing. Otherwise I might have to look at the stablemate again, the Hyundai Terracan!
Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - GregSwain
Forgot to add - the Rio's diesel engine is chain-cam so no costly belt changes. If you bought the 2 cars from the same dealer I'm sure you'd get a significant discount. Have personally driven the Rio and it's a very good drive - 6-footers will be comfy as well. Even my ex's dad (who was very sceptical about Korean cars) only found one fault with it - indicators on the "wrong" side. Not an issue if your 4x4 is also Korean!
Small Car, must have armrest (really...) - Brian Tryzers
The Golf IV / Bora armrest is an abomination. If it's in the right place for your elbow, it prevents you from reaching the handbrake. (That might actually have more to do with the positioning of the handbrake, so perhaps you should be looking for a Golf with an armrest but no handbrake - as apparently seen at red traffic lights throughout the UK.)
It depends where you are driving - if its mainly on motorway, then the armrest is fine. On my commute to work I very rarely apply the handbrake. I'll have to see tomorrow when I drive to work how many times I apply the handbrake!!

But my father used to hate it on the golf he had, so I guess it depends on the person....