Changing a Focus headlamp bulb... - Waino
We've talked about this before, but I thought it might be useful to relate how I had recently seen it performed without removing any bits other than the back cover for the headlamp unit! I changed the dip-bulb myself previously ..... but only after loosening the battery and with a great deal of cursing and misery.

I took the car to my local dealer. I explained the problem to the chap on service reception and asked if I'd get on better if I removed the battery completely. He explained that if I did that, I might get slightly better access, but the lower lip on the battery shelf would still present something of an obsticle. I could see what he meant.

A young technician arrived on the scene, grinning and saying "I bet it's the one on the battery side - it always is - it's like toast landing butter side down!" He said it was a couple of months since he had done one - but appeared comfortingly confident nevertheless.

He performed the operation exactly as stated in the car's (supplied) manual. He struggled a little getting the plastic light-unit cover off and on (poor fit) but took out and replaced the bulb - re-engaging the spring retaining clip all by feel. He said that he done his first few using a mirror - which is what I had done before.

If this bulb blows again, as it undoubtedly will, I will have a bash myself - but I will try loosening or removing the battery because I think it may help a little and I will check the fixing mechanism with a mirror BEFORE removing the old bulb.

When the old bulb came it, it was very blackened, which someone has previously suggested may be due to a poor earth.

BTW, he said that the operation was more difficult on Diesel Foci due to the bigger battery ...... maybe a case for moving it out of the way.
Changing a Focus headlamp bulb... - AR-CoolC
If it's the old shape Focus were talking about, I found the olny way I could get the cover back on correctly was to remove the battery and tray, but got in it down to a 15 minute operation in the end.

Once the battery is out, there are three 13mm bolts holding the tray down, remove these and a couple of cable clips and the whole thing lifts out, you then have as much room as you need.
Changing a Focus headlamp bulb... - Waino
I was describing the operation on a mk2 (?) Focus Chic - '52 reg.

Was yours a petrol or diesel, AR-C?

The problem with the battery is mainly about being able to see what you are doing - hence the suggestion to have a look with a mirror before removing the bulb, otherwise you have the added difficulty of working out how the spring-clip works for when you try to hold the new bulb in place.
Changing a Focus headlamp bulb... - AndyT
I had great difficulty changing the same bulb on my diesel Focus, actually going as far as to cutting off a bit of the lip on the cover to enable its refitting. Someone helpfully pointed out afterwards, that I should just have undone the two top bolts on the headlamp to tip it forward for clearance... Of course marking the brackets position before removing the bolts.