Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My Passat 100PS TDI Estate has again almost seen off its tyres in 10,000 miles.Never raced or rallied and tyres wear evenly. Most of my mileage is a commute from Chesterfield area to Buxton, Derbys..
Been doing this since car was new - never had more than 14,000 out of the front tyres. Tried Michelin, Kleber, Firestone and Continental plus current Vredestein Quatrac. Now looking at Black Circles who seem to be cheaper than the usual suspects.
Are there any brands which genuinely wear better but have adequate grip?
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - Altea Ego
My touran ate a pair of Michelin energy on the front in .......39,500 miles.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - Ruperts Trooper
Are there any brands which genuinely wear better but have adequate grip?

Yes, but you've already "dismissed" them, Michelin and Continental.

The www.mytyres.co.uk website gives access to comparative tyre tests, in English, but I'm not sure they're objective - it's just customers rating their own purchases.
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - injection doc
I can sympathise, my jag diesel gnawed off a set of 225/45ZR18 in 9000+ miles. These were pirelli P-zero's. Common problem I think with the tourque & grip. With different tyres you may gain milage & loose grip or traction or suffer more road noise. My current set I'm driving very carefully. I have used Black Circle, no probs & no catches.
Worth a note, I can remember driving 200 miles to get a set of tyres ( I think they may of been Good year NCT's) 150 quid for the set cheaper than anywhere else !, for a 24v carlton GSI ( best car I ever had 7 years & never got bored) parked the car at the tyre bay, went & had coffee,came back to see these awfull tyres fitted! cut a long story short right tyre make & size etc, only problem they were for the american market. Had to take all four off & pay their price for the right tyre. Cost me a lot of money & time & never bothered shopping for tyres since.
They told me afterwards the way they do em cheap is to buy them by the container load & have to tke whatevers in there!
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - Hamsafar
You can't just look at and compare brands. That's like saying clothes from Next don't keep you warm. You must compare the specific tyre model, rating and application.
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - Peter D
10,000, The problem here is your right foot and round abouts, exits and harse braking with the ABS kicking in. I bet you eat brake pads as well as fuel. Get it chiiped and you could get down to 7,000 miles a tyre. Regards Peter
I drive with the TC light winking like a goodun, the touran gets driven hard. Its heavy up front too.
39,500 miles.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - a900ss
Does the TC light blink like a goodum because your tyres are so damn hard they have no grip on the road but will do 39,500 miles???
Nah seems to grip ok, not lost the front end yet.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - Bill Payer
they were for the american market.

They might have lasted well, though!

I noticed in Walmart in the US, a lot of tyres offered had mileage guarantees - some up to 75,000 miles. They were treadwear 600 rated - I've never seen higher than 400 here (Firestone Fuelsavers) and most originally fitted tyres are 200 or less - the Bridgestone's that came on my car were 140.
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - A. Badger
I've come to the conclusion that the only meaningful comparisons come from comparing the same tyres on the same cars. For example, I quite regularly see people saying Continentals last well. They certainly didn't on my old Nissan Almera - in fact they were among the worst I put on it.

My current car (a Honda Accord 2 litre) came with Bridgestones, which scrubbed out at around 10,000 miles. I'm not an aggressive driver and was told this was quite average for this car.

Despite what seems to be a common opinion that Dunlop SP01s don't last well, I was persuaded to try them next, did, and have been delighted. They halved the road noise I'd had from the Bridgestones and have lasted a great deal longer. My guess is that they must work well on the Honda and possibly don't work as well on other makes and models.

Unfortunately, I now need two new fronts and Dunlop has replaced this tyre with a new design. But do the reviews help? Not a lot, I suspect, unless they were conducted using the same car as mine. In other words, your best bet would probably be to ask other Passat owners. as what works well for someone with a Mondeo or a Merc, might not do the same for you.
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - Collos25
The only way you will wear out a set of good quality tyres in 10000 miles assuming the geometry is correct is through harsh driving no matter what you buy you will get the same result if you do not change your driving style.
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - cheddar
I would spend £40 or £50 on a professional 4 wheel laser alignment.
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - cabsmanuk
I had a 90hp Sharan which went through 4 sets of tyres (Goodyear and Pirelli) in 60000 miles. This was replaced by a 130hp Sharan which went through 2 sets (Michellin and Continental) in 60000 miles.

Keep upright
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - madf
40k on Michelins on A4 TDI driven hard ..

I would not buy either Goodyear or Pirelli for wear..

madf
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - Jonwm {P}
Saab got Goodyear on from the factory, did 18k on first set, then firestones did about 18k, i'm down to wear bars in 11k on this set of goodyears, as mentioned above by TVM my traction light is pretty much on at every junction thanks to 150BHP coming in between 2 & 2.5 k revs, never did know why they put 15in wheels on this car!
My last golf used to go through Mich's in 10k on the front too, that was the 105bhp, my old man does about 50k in his volvo S40 that runs on dunflops.

Jon
Thanks for all your thoughts.
BTW just replaced the second set of front pads at 97,000 miles so not too hard on brakes. Had a 4 wheel alignment check done by main dealer at £120 or so when the tyre eating tendency was well developed. No problems noted and as I said, the wear is even. Fuel consumption is 44mpg overall at present and is difficult to reduce unless driving at unfeasibly low speeds.
Yup traction control light comes on in the wet when accelerating from side roads. Self preservation to avoid being T-boned/rear ended mostly.
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - daveyjp
I'll let you know how long the Pirelli P zeros on the new A3 last. To be honest I wasn't ecstatic to see them fitted as OEM as I have heard reports they aren't long lasting, but tyre wear rating is 240, which is similar to Michelins (which were on my old A3 and did 23,000) so we'll see.
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - Manwithaplan
Mitsubishi Carisma 1.6 petrol, still running on original Continentals coming up for 42k, front's just above TWI, rears- plenty left.
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - bell boy
take all the junk out of the back that you are lugging about then the tyres will last longer
Junk?
Coat and wellies are the lot at present. Rarely have the car filled up unless on the tip run or on holiday.
Guess you are all the slow-coaches that get in my way bumbling along at 40mph in a 60mph limit.

There is a cure- press the accelerator ;>)
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - bell boy
cheeky ;-)
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - muckybob
I do about 25,000 miles on Dunlops (I think its a pair of SP200?), a 50/50 mix of cross country and motorway/dual carriageway, with a heavy right foot in a passat TDI. I always go for Dunlops now, and find them better than the Goodyears I previously had on an Audi A4, they last longer.
I last bought from tyre-shopper.co.uk, and they were as cheap as blackcircles but a more convenient fitting station.
Not had any definitive information from here or on VAG forum. Going for 'bargain' tyres - Interstate IS Touring IST from Black Circles.£45 each for 195/65 x 15 v. As far as I can gather they are designed in Europe but made in Asia and seem to be a modern design.
Any Longer Lasting Tyres? - Aprilia
I know Interstate because a friend of mine stocked and sold them for a while. The company is basically a Dutch import agency and they buy and brand tyres from a variety of different manufacturers in China. He no longer deals with them due to customers not being happy.
For a good cheap tyre try Kumho.