BMW 316 - 1996 - Turning Key to start - charlesworth82
hi. Hope someone can help with this or offer some advice.

i was topping up my water yesterday and the bonnet fell and slammed shut - I thought nothing of it.

The next day i went to start the car and am now having trouble turning the key in the ignition - similar to when the steering has locked and you adjust the steering wheel to unlock it. I can normally mess about with it for a bit and it eventually turns (I just keep fiddling with steering wheel) but am scared its going to just not let me start it one day.
BMW 316 - 1996 - Turning Key to start - scrapmetal
You need to get a new steering ignition lock ASAP. This will eventually fail altogether, go to BMW for it then you wont have to get a new key.
The bonnet slamming shut is just coincidence.
BMW 316 - 1996 - Turning Key to start - Aprilia
Be really careful here. Ideally (if you can - e.g. locked in a garaged) leave the key in the barrel and don't use it whilst you get a new key/barrel set from BMW. If the barrel fails then its a right nightmare to get out. Similar problems with Mercedes.
BMW 316 - 1996 - Turning Key to start - charlesworth82
Seemed to be working fine again this morning. I'm getting my car looked at over the weekend for another problem so hopefully they can have time to look at this too. Unfortunately i'll have to drive it around until then so hope it doesnt break before then :(