1996 Honda Civic Won't Start - darth_rich
Was driving my Civic this morning, started first time as always, whilst driving to the petrol station I had a quick flicker of both the immobiliser light and the engine management light and thought nothing more of it.

Pulled in to the petrol station and filled up, when to start the car and it wouldn't fire up. It made all the right sounds apart from the fact that the engine would not start running.

Has anyone had a similar problem or if anyone can shed some light in my problem I would be most greatful. Thank you in advance.

Rich
1996 Honda Civic Won't Start - bell boy
does it crank over then?
have you got a spark?
can you hear the fuel pump priming? when you turn the ignition on
It all sounds fine and as I said it started 1st time this morning. I'm not too sure about the fuel pump as I'm not too sure what to listen out for. All I know is, to me, it sounds exactly the same as usual but the engine doesn't fire.

Thanks for your reply
1996 Honda Civic Won't Start - DP
My brother in law had a sudden breakdown in his Rover 416 (Honda engine) which turned out to be a failed igniter unit in the distributor. A common failure IIRC. It was a couple of years earlier than your car though, so I'm not sure the same part is used.

I seem to recall it was about £70 for a brand new unit and a fairly easy installation.

Check for a spark.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
Thanks for your input it's much appreciated.

Someone I know said that this problem sounds like it could be a cam belt fault. Does this ring true with anone?

Thanks a lot again

Rich
1996 Honda Civic Won't Start - Civic8
>>failed igniter unit in the distributor. A common failure IIRC

Yes it is,when switching ign on can you hear a hum for a second or 2 ??
I'm not with the car at the moment so I couldn't say sorry, all I would say is I didnt notice any abnormal sounds when turning the ignition. It may the claissic "car won't start" noise!! lol:)

Thanks to everyone for their input, it's much apprciated.

Rich
In addtion, worse case scenario, if it is the cam belt. How much damage can be done just by trying to turn it over?
if belt gone.......... spinning on the starter motor is the least of your worries...............sorry
No probs. Thank guys for all your help.

Engineer looking at it as we speak, will give you and update later.

Thanks again.
Engineer said that the problem isn't a cam belt fault and it is to do with the ECU.

Car now with different engineer for diagnostics.

Will keep you updated.

Rich
watch you dont get spanked then by showing dimness on the ecu front :-)
1996 Honda Civic Won't Start - SaabFanatic
My money's on either the PGM-FI Main Relay or the igniter module; the Main Relay is simple to diagnose and cheap to fix - listen for the correct sequence of clicks, whirrs and lamps as described at:

www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelayoperation/index.h...l

More information on the fault and its repair is available here:

www.marklamond.co.uk/tech-honda/pgm-fi/main-relay/...m

Igniter modules aren't difficult or expensive to replace - see example at:

www.currentcare.co.uk/index.php?showprod=7320578

1996 Honda Civic Won't Start - SaabFanatic
...Look at the Honda workshop manual at:

www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html

1996 Honda Civic Won't Start - normd2
thanks for this link - should help with the rover 214 too.
anyone else know of other free on-line workshop manuals - is there a directory somewhere?