what irritates you most? - barney100
I can cope with middle lane hoggers and tailgating but the one that gets me most is the guy on the roundabout who dosen't indicate left. You sit there waiting for them to come past you and they suddenly turn left without signalling. It happens at junctions too and is just as galling. What gets you going?
what irritates you most? - Lud
Signalling is going out of fashion. Probably most of those who don't signal have never taken a driving test. If plod was on the road he could follow such people and run them in for failures to signal, driving without due care. I think it would be a good thing.

That said, it is unwise to depend on a signal or the lack of it. Wait if possible for some other indication that the person isn't going to drive into you.
what irritates you most? - PeterRed
I agree about the lack of signals. In my opinion, it shows a lack of awareness and basic manners.

There was a good quote about indicators that I heard recently:

"The only thing that a flashing indicator tells you is that the bulb is working......"
what irritates you most? - jc2
Police teach that you only signal if someone can benefit from your signal.
what irritates you most? - Nsar
Is that true? I was taught this in my lessons and I do follow this practice, but didn't know it ws Police procedure.

I was told it shows that you are aware of (the absence of) other road users at that point - but you do have to ask what's the point? If there's no-one there to see that you know no-one's there, if you get my drift.
I do it anyway just to annoy my wife who thinks I'm being slapdash.
what irritates you most? - Brian Tryzers
Non-signallers on roundabouts, definitely. They cost other people time and trouble by laying claim (by omission) to a piece of road they don't intend to use.

And mosquitoes. That little eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise just after I've put out the light and got comfortable. So I get up, hunt her down, blat her and find she's already had her bellyful and there'll be an angry little lump on my elbow in the morning. Grrr!
what irritates you most? - LHM
Police teach that you only signal if someone can benefit from your signal.

I'd tend to agree, but the devil's advocate view is that you might not have seen the person who might benefit from your signal :-(

what irritates you most? - Stuartli
Signalling is just as important for pedestrians as well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I generally consider them as road users!

what irritates you most? - gmac
Drivers who have to switch on rear or front and rear foglights when it starts to rain.

People who insist in sitting in the outside lane at 65mph (as experienced yesterday on M56 going to Manchester Airport) with a queue of traffic behind waiting to overtake.
They then get annoyed when someone undertakes, it wasn't me, I wasn't in any particular rush, though after five miles I was very tempted. They still didn't get the hint after ten cars did the same.
what irritates you most? - madf
The driver of a Range Rover who drove at 45mph past the local school (30 mph limit), through 0.75metres of water at our front gate and covered me with a large quantity of water.

I hope he breaks down and gets stranded in 2 metres of sewage:-)
madf
what irritates you most? - OldHand
The non-signalling driver that irks you so much is just an incovenience. Tailgaiting is dangerous. Therefore it's my pet hate.
what irritates you most? - mlj
Sheep like drivers that automatically join the outside lane despite the obvious fact that there is no traffic in the inside lane. It puts you in the position of either underpassing which is illegal or cutting your speed to as low as 15mph. Predictable and boring.
what irritates you most? - scrapmetal
If i get the chance i tell the non signallers they need to get their car into the garage - there left/right hand indicator is not working. The look on faces is worth the sarcasm!
what irritates you most? - Big Bad Dave
Approaching red lights on a fast dual carriageway. A smoking old blue and white pre-war bus in the slow lane, a Dacia Logan in the fast lane. So naturally you take position behind the Logan. The lights go green, the Logan driver dithers and faffs and eventually trundles off at 7 mph while the bus shoots off into the distance.

Scenario occasionally varies, sometimes the Logan driver pulls away at exactly the same pace as the bus leaving you trapped along side it, sometimes he'll edge slightly ahead but not enough to allow you to zip around him in the slow lane. All variations equally frustrating and irritating.
what irritates you most? - PW
Re Signalling- yes bugs me beyond belief. I signal every move just in case I have missed someone- happened twice when I got the Mondeo as I lost them in the blind spots- but by indicating well in advance of moving over at least I warned them I was about to do something stupid and they could react to my muppetry.

Although one worse than this are the drivers who seem to assume that when they do indicate it creates a star trek style force field that moves any vehicles close to them out of the way and they can move over regardless. Linked to this, but not a massive bugbear are the drivers with clean air round them who could move over to let you out. This is minor for me, as normally move over in time to avoid being baulked- so long as there is room for the faster traffic to get past me.

Biggest bugbear is the drivers who speed up as you pass them. Get this a lot in the Xsara, and can only assume is there is an awful lot of drivers out there with an inferiority complex.

And on roundabouts people who have absolutely no idea whatsoever lane they should be in, even with massive white arrows on the road giving them oh so subtle a hint.

Should add am quite laid back really. Just get wound up by lack of anticipation, observation and inconsiderate drivers.
what irritates you most? - Westpig
dawdlers that you overtake and then they match your speed.........if they did that speed in the first place i wouldn't overtake

people that do 40-45 in a 60 limit....... (apart from those that can't help it of course)
what irritates you most? - Civic8
>>dawdlers that you overtake and then they match your speed

That annoys me,but most do this while overtaking so you have to go faster to get past ((
what irritates you most? - bell boy
women who think its cool to use finger gesticulations
tailgaters
drivers that block entrances even though their own exit is temporarily blocked
non use of indicators by mr and mrs trumptons of the world
what irritates you most? - Pendlebury
That's barmaids for you bb.
what irritates you most? - daveyjp
A trend I've npoticed recently are drivers coming up to junctions on side roads to the road I am on. Increasingly it seems the last thought in the drivers mind is the fact they may have to stop and actually give way, too all intents and purposes they will continue at a quick approach speed and only stop if they REALLY have to.

A woman the other day simply drove into the main road, she couldn't see right as a van was parked and I couldn't be seen because of it, but no chance of slowing to the junction then creeping out - oh no just carry on at speed. When her car was completely out of the junction she then decided it was a good idea to brake. I simply stopped and shrugged my shoulders. Her bleached hair, numerous tattoos and bling gold chains spoke volumes to me and I was the one who got abuse for having the audacity to be on the main road! In the back were three unstrapped kids.
what irritates you most? - Pendlebury
People (and yes it usually is women or men with flat caps) who approach a roundabout with a clear view to their right showing no oncoming taffic and stop. Once stopped they look right, see that it is all clear and then drive off again.
what irritates you most? - Mike H
.....and the opposite - approach roundabout without even looking for traffic and keep driving as though they have right of way.
what irritates you most? - Bill Payer
Her bleached hair numerous tattoos and bling gold chains spoke volumes to me and I was the
one who got abuse for having the audacity to be on the main road! In
the back were three unstrapped kids.

Bear in mind that there's every chance she was 'out of it' through drink and/or drugs. When you relaise the state of some people who are driving you tend to expect such incidents as the one to which you refer.
what irritates you most? - Sim-O
My biggest annoyance is people who go down the slip road onto a motorway or A-road at 40-50mph and wonder why they get to the end of the slip road and still can't pull out.
I follow these people down the slip road looking in my mirror seeing cars go past at nearly twice the speed and think 'I'm going to die here...'
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
what irritates you most? - Fullchat
Drivers on duals and motorways who creep up and sit on your offside corner necessitating you to either brake and let them pass befory you can overtake the car infront or booting it to be able to pull infront of them to overtake a car infront.
--
Fullchat
what irritates you most? - DrS
People who stop at traffic islands when nothing is coming.....
what irritates you most? - Big Bad Dave
People who drive 1 mph faster/slower than you when you're driving on the cruise. They buzz around you like flies, you do a 100 mph blast for a couple of minutes, resume cruise and ten minutes later they're back buzzing aound you.
what irritates you most? - McP
People who tap the brakes on the motorway when there is nothing in front of them?

People following the 'brake tappers', who don't look beyond the car in front and also tap the brakes.

And the people following them...........
what irritates you most? - P.Mason {P}
Drivers who slow down when overtaking long vehicles - they seem to get hypnotised when about half-way past and slow to almost the same speed as the vehicle they're overtaking. It takes them about 30 seconds to get past an articulated lorry. Very common behaviour on the A34..
P.
what irritates you most? - Lud
Of course all ludicrously slow and smugly obstructive drivers. People who out-accelerate you effortlessly at the lights and then get systematically in the way. People driving at 70 in the middle lane of the motorway who pull out to overtake something slower and SLOW DOWN as proper drivers bear down on them at 100, the so-and-sos... They even have these in Germany believe it or not, but this country is their real home, a pox on their spawn for ever....
>> Biggest bugbear is the drivers who speed up as you pass them. Get this a
lot in the Xsara and can only assume is there is an awful lot of
drivers out there with an inferiority complex.

I read an article that included data from a study that showed it's an insitnctive reaction to increase ones speed (to get away) when something enters the very periphery of your field of vision. It's a throwback to the times when it might have saved you being eaten by something large and grizzly.

Of course that doesn't explain the idiots who accelerate hard but an extra 5-10mph can easily be explained by this phenomena. It's even more noticeable when you're overtaking with cruise activated because you can be sure your speed has remained constant for some time.

Anyway the solution is to have more power than most other cars on the road and you can just blow them into the weeds.
what irritates you most? - PW
Thanks for that OH- a friend has also explained this one to me, and on occassion have caught myself doing it. Since noticed others doing it to me, I do keep an eye on speedo if being caught slowly to make sure I keep my speed level, and generally make allowances for others doing it.

But there are those who just cannot be overtaken by a lesser being. Like the S Max earlier this year who added about 20 mph so couldn't be overtaken. Luckily I could match him and sit alongside (with nothing behind me) till we caught slower traffic in his lane.

Or the DB7 driver last night who just could not move from lane 3. Yes I know my diesel Xsara is going to be a lot slower than your DB9, but if I am crusing faster than you then you can move over. It is not going to affect your virility, although I was left questioning this when you started flooring it in heavy traffic just to show what a pratt you really were.

Besides, with your driving style I'd soon pass you as you stop for fuel.
what irritates you most? - Cardew
Sheep like drivers that automatically join the outside lane despite the obvious fact that there
is no traffic in the inside lane. It puts you in the position of either
underpassing which is illegal or cutting your speed to as low as 15mph.

I can never understand the logic of this type of statement.

Unless I have mis-understood you, it seems that you have the right to be in the outside lane, but nobody else is entitled to be there?

Do you think the people ahead of you in the outside lane want to travel at 15mph? Most of the time people are there waiting to overtake and get to their cruising speed.

What are you suggesting? That they all move over when they see you(or anyone else) bearing down on them?

what irritates you most? - wotspur
hope you got the registrattion number -report him there have been numerous cases of drivers being charged for this offence.

Signalling costs nothing, NOT signalling does cost lives.

My Two pet hates thou is those doing 40 in a N.S.L, continue to do so in the 40 zone and also in the 30 zone , and those on motorways who overtake 2 slow vehicles in the outside lane at 60 then speed up afterwards - why
what irritates you most? - Boggy
The ever increasing range of neon pink fluffy steering wheel covers, mats, dice, even sponges aimed at 19 year old girl Ka or Corsa drivers who drive while texting! (Yes, I've witnessed this!).
The Sheila's Wheels jingle is in my head again now.......
Caravans, let's not forget them.

Maybe the current vogue for inappropriate use of Calor gas cylinders may see them banned and the caravanning industry crumble to dust as a result. Every cloud.....
what irritates you most? - DP
People who leave it until the last minute to join a slip road or choose the correct lane and then swerve into non-existant gaps at the absolute last minute and carve people up. Like the prat in the silver Mercedes SL500 on the M3 this morning.

And similarly, people who use empty filter lanes to jump traffic queues when the main carriageway is blocked, and then perform an emergency stop at the end of the filter lane and sit and wait for someone to let them back onto the main carriageway, blocking the filter lane for everyone legitimately turning off.

On a related note, when was the last time you saw a proper traffic cop apart from at the scene of an accident?

GRRR!!!

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
what irritates you most? - dxp55
Following someone at NSL then find they slow down to 45 to take the slightest bend then boot it as soon as a straight come up and you get no chance to pass.
what irritates you most? - simonc1978
Non-signallers at roundabouts.

The 40mph everywhere brigade.

Those who dither about wondering whether to overtake on a wide A road, i.e. the roads where you can overtake when something is coming the other way providing no-one travelling in the opposite direction has the same idea. Either overtake or don't!

Middle-aged BMW drivers.

Lorry drivers who overtake going up hills on motorways.

but the biggest has to be CARAVANS... roof-mounted bazookas anyone?
what irritates you most? - kingfisher
Yobs in baseball caps!
some of these posts have made me realise that my wife is wrong.....i am not an ever increasingly grumpy old man.......
what irritates you most? - deepwith
Several of the above sorely try me, as does a lack of acknowledgement when I have been kind. But the most irritating are usually combined - those who overtake then try to remove your wing as they move in (so easy to stay out until you can see the car in the rearview mirror) who then slow down to 4mph less than you were doing. Why do it?
what irritates you most? - FotheringtonThomas
Being overtaken when waiting in a queue.
what irritates you most? - Brian Tryzers
FT's answer reminds me of one of the more extraordinary pieces of impatient driving I've seen. I was on the way home, turning right at the traffic lights off the main road into the road I live on. I'd reached the centre of the junction and was just about to complete the manoeuvre when I saw a blue-lighted ambulance coming rapidly towards me down the road I was about to enter. Because of a line of parked cars, it was also on what would be my side.
So I did what anyone would do - waited where I was, to leave space for the ambulance to clear the junction. But this wasn't good enough for Silver Lexus Man behind me, who went the long way round the left side of my car, shot into the gap and then, finding himself with a faceful of blue lights and nowhere to go, clambered onto the pavement before roaring off up my street. I do wish I could have seen his face at that moment!
what irritates you most? - FotheringtonThomas
FT's answer reminds me of one of the more extraordinary pieces of impatient driving I've
seen. I was on the way home turning right at the traffic lights

I too was waiting at red traffic lights, at the head of the queue. There was a car waiting behind me, too. Suddenly an old-ish Mercedes of some sort, complete with bling-encrusted driver, drove past, and straight through the red lights, at about 30. Surely it could not have been that the driver did not see the lights - one on each side of the junction, one on each side of the road, total 4 lights.
what irritates you most? - Robin Reliant
Caravan tuggers who have no idea how to manouvre with a grockle box the size of Blenhiem Palace behind them. Especially when they meet a fellow rolling road block in a narrow village.
--
On the subject of queue jumping how do backroomers feel about this scenario?

Two lanes leading upto a roundabout one marked turn right, the other straight ahead. Large queue of traffic waiting to go straight ahead, turn right free.

Is it playing the game to use the turn right lane, go all the way round the roundabout and then rejoin the straight ahead queue having leapfrogged the queue?

what irritates you most? - Robin Reliant
On the subject of queue jumping how do backroomers feel about this scenario?
Two lanes leading upto a roundabout one marked turn right the other straight ahead. Large
queue of traffic waiting to go straight ahead turn right free.
Is it playing the game to use the turn right lane go all the way
round the roundabout and then rejoin the straight ahead queue having leapfrogged the queue?

A manouvre known as "Brookes Gambit", I believe. No, not really playing the game, but there are times when one is in a hurry...
--
It was advocated to me by a high ranking and very experienced traffic officer. My own take on it is that although perfectly legal it's bad sportsmanship and could quite easily lead to some panel damage!
what irritates you most? - davidh
People who capitalise on others who have pulled over to let an ambulance/fire engine through. For example, the person behind overtaking you and not allowing you to pull out after the emergency vehicle goes past. This happens a lot to me.
what irritates you most? - Galad
Joining a motorway, careful to spot a suitable gap in the traffic to fit in safely only to have a complete idiot suddenly overtake me on the slip road nearly causing a multiple vehicle pile-up.
what irritates you most? - Sim-O
Joining a motorway careful to spot a suitable gap in the traffic to fit in
safely only to have a complete idiot suddenly overtake me on the slip road nearly
causing a multiple vehicle pile-up.

speed up a bit then ;-)
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Two lanes leading upto a roundabout one marked turn right the other straight ahead. Large
queue of traffic waiting to go straight ahead turn right free.

Depending on the length of the queue and how much of a rush I was in (going to work vs going home) I'd do as you suggest and go around the roundabout, rejoining the straight ahead after the loop.
You're not breaking the rules, forcing your way in without going round the roundabout and should not be causing an obstruction as you've now come from the right (assuming in the UK) for which you have right of way. No foul I'd say.
Having said that, I have seen situations where the police have sat on roundabouts to prevent this behaviour.
A similar situation used to arise on the A19 approach to the Tyne Tunnel. Middle and right hand lanes are tunnel traffic, left lane goes to North Shields. Take the North Shields lane turn left, 100m do a U-turn at the roundabout and back down to rejoin the tunnel traffic. That could save you fifteen to twenty minutes in the morning. Northumbria police took a dim view and stuck a motorcycle traffic bike on the island.
what irritates you most? - Vin {P}
"what irritates you most?"

Everything. All the time.

V
what irritates you most? - Muggy
I've come across lots of the above. Including a police officer who admitted to never, ever, using their own indicators at any time...!!

But one thing nobody has mentioned yet is motorway weavers who just treat getting through heavy traffic at speed in the same way that one might run through a crowded rush hour station concourse to catch a train...
what irritates you most? - Old Navy
Not most, but when I am on cruise control at the speed limit (ish) and people overtake and then slow down and maintain a slower speed.
what irritates you most? - aaflyer
(i) Parents/Guardians who take no notice of what the bored kids in the back are throwing out the windows. Followed a Bora about a month ago and there was a large box of tissues that was steadily being depleted by the little 'uns in the back and flying past my car.... Thankfully none had been used!

(ii) Litterbugs;

(iii) The driver of the silver BMW M3 (and all those like him) on the M5 yesterday who decided to sit in the outside lane at c. 65 m.p.h. with a stream of traffic behind him, yet (seemingly) utterly oblivious to the queue.

(iv) Not being able to afford a BMW M3 (or anything like it!)

(v) Trapped wind

what irritates you most? - oilrag
I`m struggling to drum up some irritation, back later.
what irritates you most? - Fullchat
Drivers who fail to acknowledge a courtesy.
--
Fullchat
what irritates you most? - David Horn
That could save you fifteen to twenty minutes in the
morning. Northumbria police took a dim view and stuck a motorcycle traffic bike on the
island.

What on earth could they possibly charge you with, or was the idea to delay you long enough that you wouldn't do it again?
What on earth could they possibly charge you with or was the idea to delay
you long enough that you wouldn't do it again?

Nothing they could charge with. It was to stop the idiots who started blocking roundabouts and stopping traffic flow for non-tunnel traffic.
what irritates you most? - madf
My most recent irritation was:
reading about whingers complaining --- who have been caught by speed cameras when they were speeding.

madf
Its the ones who complain about being caught "doing 37 in a 30".
If that is what they are being prosecuted for then the speedo must have been reading 40 !
what irritates you most? - wotspur
what really irritates me is getting an itchy elbow whilst driving !! the steering wheel just isn't rough enough
what irritates you most? - oldtoffee
People who don't belt up their kids on the school run
Smokers puffing away with kids in the car
Usual roundabout buffoons, yellow box ignoramuses and fog light twits
Fake blonde, fake tan, Prada phone to the ear, 4x4 (X5, ML) women drivers
Letting someone out in front of me and despite many opportunities them refusing to do the same for someone else