Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - rubber
Hi,

This is my first post on here.

Wife has been offered a job in East Manchester in an area called Miles Platting. I have never heard of it.
We live in Bradford, West Yorkshire.
If she takes the job she will be commuting there everyday. Work hours are from 8am through to 4.30pm.

had a quick look on the AA website and it recommends we get onto the M62 west and leave at Junction 18 to join the M60. Leave the M60 at junction 20. Then join the A664 the A6010.

My question is has any one on here got expericene of this commute, or any idea how bust the roads are going to be. Even if its not for the full commute any comments will be appreciated.

To start work at 8am what time would be reasonable to leave home.
What about coming back home. Whats the traffic going to be like.

We live about 5 miles from the M606 motorway. It takes about ten minutes max to drive there in non rush hour traffic.

I can remember when I was working in Doncaster, getting on m62 east then joining the A1 south, it was a nightmare commute, taking about 1.30mins at least and traffic was regularly at a standstill.

Thanks
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - bell boy
in a word?
hell
she needs to do a few dummy runs but everyday is so different,
your route sounds ok but is the same route as everyone else
uses.
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Nsar
I'd have a look at M62/A627M/OldhamRoad/Miles Platting.

Miles Platting isn't somewhere you'd go for a romantic break.......

It's not a great journey with nose to tail traffic once you come down off the Pennines. I did 5 years going the other way and when the weather kicks in and the clocks go forward it's no fun.

Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - gmac
I commuted Sheffield to Preston for a three month contract about ten years ago.
I joined the M62 at Huddersfield.
I remember queuing on top of Saddleworth Moor at 7am most mornings and it nailing it down with rain. That was the middle of summer. I can't imagine the traffic will be any lighter now and it's not a trip I would like to make, during winter, on a daily basis.
so its not a a pleasant journey.
any ideas as to what time she needs to leave home to get there for 8am?

Current car is an 03 Polo Tdi 1.9 (100BHP) model. Will car be ok for this commute?

thanks
any ideas as to what time she needs to leave home to get there for
8am?

On a good day maybe do it in 45mins. You should factor in time allowing for someone having a bump coming down off the Pennines.

The Polo should be good for fuel economy and they aren't bad motorway cars (yes there are better) see how your other half gets on with the job before throwing cash at a car she might not need in a few months. She'll probably need something better for the winter months though depending of course on how good/bad/dry/wet or how much snow there is in the winter.
In your car at 6.30am to be sure, then try 5 minutes later, for a few days, then 5 minutes after that etc. till you get a feel, but the thing about the M62 is that it's on a knife edge ie the slightest incident can turn it into a car park.

I think the car will be fine.

Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - daveyjp
Car will be fine as long as the heater and radio works! After a few months she may be crying out for an automatic.

A few years ago I used to do West Leeds to central Manchester once a week to attend Mancat. To arrive for 8.30 I used to leave not much later than 6.30am. I suggest a similar departure time for your wife until she has more idea on how long it will take. She may arrive really early some days, but this is time in hand for the days when there is an accident or bad weather. I know on my short West Yorkshire commute if I set off 10 minutes late my journey can take an extra 20 minutes.

During summer the trip is acceptable, come winter time the traffic becomes horrendous - more vehicles on the road and much worse weather.
blimey,
leave home at 6.30. means she has to get up about 5.45am.
so if she finishes at 4.30 what time she getting home?
that means when she finishes work she will have been awake for 11 hours already!! blimey!
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - daveyjp
Re journey back - a true story:

A couple of weeks ago we left Manchester Airport at 4.30pm on a Friday and I was expecting an horrendous journey around Manchester. By 5.15pm I was surprised to see we were nearing Huddersfield (we were in an Aygo with two cases so no chance of break neck speeds!).

I had an eye on the time because a colleague was having a leaving do in Bradford starting at 5.30pm and I said I'd pop in if I was back in time. We then hit the queue and I left the M62 at the M606 junction at 6.30pm. 75 minutes to do about 10 miles.
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Collos25
I am travelling almost the same route from bradford every day at the moment and to get to your destination for 8.00 you need to getting onto the 606 no later than 6.0am any later and it is chaos and coming back well it can vary from 2hours to 4 hours depending what has crashed at Brighouse.
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - adverse camber
Either move or take a different job.

M62 is just ... /shudder/
we have decided to do a number of dummy runs this week.
first one is going to be this wednesday setting off at 6.30am.
I reckon we should make it for arounf 7.30-7.40am doinng a steady 80-85mph!

what you guys reckon?
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - David Horn
we have decided to do a number of dummy runs this week.
first one is going to be this wednesday setting off at 6.30am.
I reckon we should make it for arounf 7.30-7.40am doinng a steady 80-85mph!
what you guys reckon?

Hahahahahahaha. Sorry, but the idea of 80-85mph at any time in the morning on the M62 is laughable. However, it's usually worse heading eastbound rather than westbound, if it's any consolation. I've been sitting in a queue on the M62 at 6am on several occasions.
Well, if you want to mix it in the big city then early starts are the norm.....
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Bill Payer
so if she finishes at 4.30 what time she getting home?

Well, put it this way, she's unlikely to take kindly you enquiring where you tea is, as she walks through the door!
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Citroënian {P}
No fun at all that run, She's going to have to be getting an amazing job or amazing money to make it worthwhile commuting that everyday. You just need to look at the traffic reports each morning and night to see how bad the M62 is these days. It does get a _lot_ quieter after 7pm heading east, but I think she's knackered heading west in the morning.

Could she not take the train from Bradford (via Halifax/Rochdale) into Victoria and then a bus or train out to Miles Platting? Might help keep her sanity.

It's not a journey I'd want to make regularly and would certainly try and stop the present Mrs Citroënian doing a job requiring it.

-- Biggedy biggedy bong
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - freakybacon
Find out the salary for this job. Then factor in the travelling time and stress of driving in heavy traffic for 2-3 hours each day. then add in the fact that your missus will be absolutely shattered when she gets in. This is also going to put stress on your relationship.

I really do not think that this job will be worth the stress, unless the money is absolutely fantastic. Are there any parking issues? What about the forthcoming Manchester congestion tax?

I have been offered better paying jobs than the one I have now in the centre of Leeds, but my I can get to my current job on a pushbike in 20 minutes, so I don't need a car, and could save on that expense if I wanted. Theres no parking issues if it rains, and I wimp out and take the car. The increased money I could earn in Leeds is not worth the stress.
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Dalglish
She's going to have to be getting an amazing job or amazing money to make it worthwhile
commuting that everyday.

ditto that comment.
there are so many people who seem to find a £10k salary increase attractive when the new job involves added two hours commute compared to thier previous job which was in their back yard.
they do not realise that they will likely only net £5k-£6k out of which they have to fund the car as an essential work tool, and pay its increased running costs for that commute. then there is the added cost to their mental and physical health.

when i take over from gordon brown, a new law will make it illegal to commute by car more than 10 miles from home to your normal workplace. that should ease congestion and save the planet at a stroke.

Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Baskerville
when i take over from gordon brown

Dear Boy David

Don't you mean if?

Regards

A Voter
Dear Boy David

ok, you can call off your hounds now. they have go my scent even though i though it was well hidden in a militoryband
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Altea Ego
Dalglish's manifesto is to be found scattered within the threads on this site. He wont tell you what they are, just links to where you can find them. ;-)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
in reply to tvm - you want some links? here they are:
you are so easy! its because you make statements with such conviction
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=53592&...e
and comprehensively demolished by dvd
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=53592&...e

also
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=52...3
for which there is only one reply and that has been made crystal clear by hamilton.

With all the unmarked noddy cars on the M62 85mph on a regular basis is going to see you catching the train.
i always assumed upto 85 mph was allowable by the plod.
Coz if speedo is showing 85mph true speed is probably max 80mph.

When I told the missis of the two hour commute to get to work she nearly freaked out.

The pay is exactly the same. Howver she get £5K car allowance or choice of company and all fuel paid for via a fuel card. only requirement is if you take allownace car must be under 5yrs old.

Main reason for taking the job is for better experience and future progression.
When I told the missis of the two hour commute to get to work she
nearly freaked out.

That would be on a good day.
Howver she get £5K car allowance or choice of company and all fuel paid for via a fuel card.

>>
It's not usually clear-cut, but she would have to be bonkers not to take the car. It'll take a hammering on that journey - let someone else take the risk.
Main reason for taking the job is for better experience and future progression.

>>
If it's a clear stepping stone to something else then maybe it's worth it.
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Citroënian {P}
Ho ho ho, 85mph on the M62 in rush hour? I don't think there's a lot of danger of losing a licence at that time, you'll be lucky to be doing 7mph around Oldham/Rochdale and Birstall/Brighouse and most places in between.....

I don't know how much of an advantage career-wise this job is, but I'd be looking to get something a lot closer to home if I were her. Three hours a day commuting will make one very fed up in next to no time....
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Happy Blue!
Where in Miles Platting, rubber? My wife works there.

I would strongly recommend the train to Piccadilly station and bus/taxi to Miles Platting. (If you got the same train everyday, you could arrange a regular taxi transfer at discounted cost). There is no way I would drive that journey every day.

A friend does the opposite route, north Manchester to Leeds. He is rarely at home during the week other than between 8pm - 6am. The only consolation for him, is that being a partner in a big four accountancy firm, he will retire in a few years.
hi there,
no sure where about in mile platting.
its work to do with the council housing refurb I think.

How far out of the town centre is miles platting?

From my limited early morning commuting on M62 west. I set off from Bradford at 6.45am and was on Oldham (Junction 20 M62) at 7.30. I was not even going that fast. This was at the end of January this year. ALso have commuted to Salford Quays. Set off at 6.15am. Was there comfortably at 7.35am. Did not exceed 60mph even though I could have gone faster and got lost, which added about 10 mins to the journey!! This journey was in February.

Journey to Oldham was on Friday, Journey to Salford was on a Wednesday.

I dont know if this is just a freak, or am I missing something?
Rubber, don't take this the wrong way but read what people have written from their experience - the M62 over the Pennine section is a very variable prospect.

One journey tells you nothing, but neither will 100 - you can get caught out any day.

It's make your mind up time.

As for location of Miles Platting, Multimap will tell you all you need to know.

Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - PhilDews
rubber -

As someone who used to go the other way on a morning (huddersfield/bradford to leeds) with occasional forays into manchester, I can recall it being absolute hell - and that was nearly 3years ago. I think its even worse now. Or it maybe better, I don't know (I moved from yorkshire to shropshire just over 2 years ago)

Sorry I can't offer anything constructive on that score, other than to say that at the weekend I worked out that I spend more time working in a week (5 days) than I do sleeping (7days). I do 110miles a day round trip, and I get up at 5am, leave the house between 5:30 and 5:50, get to work at 6-6.30 and then leave at 4.30 and get home at 6pm. She will just need to get her body retrained.....

The company she is going to work for wouldn't have the company name spelt out in red, with the local office being Altrincham and the head office being Tamworth, would it?? If so, good company to work for - but the choices of company car are pretty shocking. If not, just ignore my rambling....
hi there,
the company shes going to work for is solely based in manchester.
choices of company car i think are from ford,vauxhall and volvo.

In that case - an Astra wouldn't be a bad company car - diesel of course, always used to be cheap on the tax, and you can get satnav built-in, which if you do a journey like that can always be useful.... Specially if the M62 is closed and you have to go 'cross country'. Which side of Bradford are you?
based in wilsden.
between bradford and keighley.
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - A2B
This is crazy, can you give us what the salary might be so then you can judge whether is it worth doing.

If she has company car you will have to pay tax on it and having free fuel with the car puts you into a higher rate of tax on that car.

Unless she is going to be earning £30k or above it not worth it IMHO.
salary IIRC is 30k per year.
She gets free fuel card. This free fuel applies to both private and company car.
You can take 5k cash allownace or take a compnay car.

Free fuel covers private and business i think. Is tax payable on this?
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - A2B
Oh yes you get hammered on private fuel.

Try doing an exercise in which you break down your total hours per year working including your travel time and divide your salary by it.

You might find it something like £5/hour so you tell me if its worth the hassle, unless she loves her job.

I mean lets say someone offered me a job photographing lovely ladies.. might just be worth the comute.
Oh yes you get hammered on private fuel.

"Hammered" is a bit OTT - in this case (a huge commute, which counts as private use) it's likely to be a very good deal indeed, even in this case where tax is likely to be at 40%.
And for almost anyone paying the lower rate of tax, it's worthwhile.

so you have got to pay tax on the private element of the mileage?
We was under the assumption that tax was only payable on private mileage if you took the compnay car option.
As the wife is going to be taking the cash allowance option instead we thought that tax will not be paid on the fuel card private mileage as it is a private car.

Are we missing something here?

How is tax calculated on private mileage?

Also the tax deductions on the cash allownace, how is this calculated. is it just your tax bracket (ie 22 or 40%?)

All this is confusing stuff!
bill-payer said:
... it's likely to be a very good deal indeed,

rubber asked:
...Are we missing something here?

go on then, bill-payer, show rubber how it is going to be a very good deal.

remember there is no pay rise, the tax bracket is most likely to be 40%, and she is getting a fuel card to pay for private and company use, and do the calcs for these two cases:

1. assume she gets a car that is in the 15% bik tax bracket
2. assume she takes the £5k gross car allownace.

what will she get in her pocket to make it a very good deal that justifis a two hour (minimum?) round trip commute?
as she earns 30k wont tax be at 22%
as she earns 30k wont tax be at 22%

sorry, i havn't got the tax tables to hand, but from memory roughly:
if she takes the car allowance and it takes her above £35k,
also up to about same threshold, there is 11% employee nat.ins to pay.
private fuel tax is calculated on something like £14k assumed benefit cahrged at the same rate as the car bik rate. (15% minimum, i think).

hj has a faq on this subject.
i havn't got the tax tables to hand

the taxman has a guide calculator where you can do your own calculations if you opt for a company car and fuel card:
cccfcalculator.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/CCF0.aspx

Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - ijws15
If it is the same salary she is going to be worse off with a company car and fuel.

When I first got a company car I had a 4k rise and was worse off - until the next rise came along. And cars were not taxed as heavily then.

Consider what the tax on the car will be - Inland revenue web site will tell you if you have the CO2 emissions, fuel type and value of the car.

Fuel is on a "scale allowance" - i.e. they tax you on a perceived value regardless of whether you use it or not.

The tax is taken at your marginal rate and the car will wipe out most of the personal allowance so sh will be paying tax at 41% (tax plus NI)

If most of her milage in the company car is private it is probably not worth optiong for the cash

There have to be some serious prospects to make this worthwhile.
go on then bill-payer show rubber how it is going to be a very good
deal.

I was assuming that she took the company car and fuel card - never mind the economics, to my mind to do that sort of commute in your own car (where you have a choice) is a nonsense.

Taking the fuel card which provides private fuel (so covers commuting) is an absolute no-brainer in this case. Even on a 20% tax liability car and paying 40% income tax, the fuel card is going to cost £100/mth - that's probably about how much a week the commute will cost in fuel.
the fuel card is going to cost £100/mth - that's probably about how much a
week the commute will cost in fuel.

Only if the diesel Polo has a hole in the tank. Will a 1.9 diesel really go through 100 litres of diesel per week on a 40 mile each way commute ?
Will a 1.9 diesel really go through 100 litres of diesel per week on a 40 mile each way
commute ?

No, but we're not talking about the same thing anyway. If the OP's wife does take the allowance and has the use of a fuel card then that's a different scenario to taking a company car with fuel card.

For the private car there's no fixed fuel card benefit charge - income tax is taken based on value of fuel used as declared on P11D at the end of the tax year.
How is tax calculated on private mileage?

It isn't usual to be given a fuel card to use on a private car, so I'm not sure how that's handled.
I would image that your wife would be expected to repay the cost (at HMRC rates 10-18p mile, depending on cars engine cc) of all private fuel, otherwise the full value of fuel supplied becomes a benefit, taxable at 40%. Get clarification on that though - I'm really not sure about it.
Also the tax deductions on the cash allownace how is this calculated. is it just
your tax bracket (ie 22 or 40%?)

Yes - so at your wife's likely 40% tax rate her £5000/yr becomes £3000 - £250/mth.
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Altea Ego
But dalglish you missed my post later int he F1 thread.

You are so selective in your clippings.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
But dalglish you missed my post later int he F1 thread. You are so selective in your clippings.

>>
tvm - don't let it bother you.
as it is, i did see your post of yesterday, and thought it was really humble of you to admit that you had prejudged hamilton badly. for which all credit to you.
( alonso is reported in the independent saying he welcomed the ferrari one-two as it stopped hamilton gaining an even greater points advantage over alonso. )
As someone who has had a fuel card for business & private use & a car allowance, the tax is as follows:

At the end of the tax year, your employer will complete your P11D with the amount of fuel purchased less any declared business miles. The taxman will then factor the amount of fuel used in the year into the following years taxcode. Therefore you will pay either 22% or 40% tax on the actual amount of fuel used for private use.

Now my company use to deduct business mileage from the tax paid on the car allowance (don't ask me how it all worked...!!)

So to run my 4x4 use to cost me about £130 a month in tax (thats with a 50mile commute round trip and private miles)

rubber - I know Wilsden, I used to work in Skipton for a construction company, so did some travelling round that area. I also used to commute to the wrong side of the Pennines (Slaithwaite to Wilsmlow/Cheadle) but I used to take the backroad, the A62 - so much better, and pick up the M60 in Oldham. Used to do the 30mile trip in between 45mins and 1hr.
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Neiltoo
A62 is probably a good route, it goes straight through Oldham to Miles Platting.
It's not a fast route, look out for about 4 scameras between Huddersfield and Marsden. Lots of traffic lights, and 40 and 30 mph sections.
However, it probably moves freely at your times. Some winters can be bad at Stanedge cutting, between Marsden and Saddleworth (I live in Delph.)

Only major problems can be if the M62 gets closed, then everyone gets it!

You should definitely undertake some trial runs (several, not just the one) In my experience, M62 is one to avoid in the morning and evening rush hours, in both directions.
Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - tunacat
I know a bloke who commutes Oldham to Bingley. He goes to Flappit Spring, then almost to Haworth, takes the A6033 to Hebden Bridge, backs up the A646 to Mytholmroyd, then takes the B6138 then A58 to Littleborough. Not sure which route he takes for the last bit from there to Oldham. Occasionally has trouble with roadworks or very severe weather, but never really with traffic.

Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - Mr.Tee43
Try listening to Radio 5 Live in the morning. Nearly every day,there is a problem on the M62 between your entry and exit point and even if it,s a minor problem on the other carriageway,it will affect you.

As has been said, the M62 is a lottery every day and like the lottery you will mostly lose.

I live in Huddersfield so get to see hear and experience the hell that is the M62 and don't forget that in winter you will get the associated weather that comes with the highest motorway in Britain.

Advice For Daily Commute M62 West Bound - rtj70
Driving back yesterday morning west to east on M62 from Hull to Stockport.... the rain that came down on Saddleworth was unbelievable. Most slowed down to less than indicated 50mph if not less apart from the idiots. The road was about an inch deep in water!

I have done M62 in the other direction in the past for work. Even in 1996 to get to Leeds for 8:30am it was an early start and now roads far worse. But your wife will go the other way... well colleagues in recent years getting from the other side of the Pennines to Manchester would either leave very very early, get stuck, or arrive mid morning.

I think your best bet is your trial runs and maybe include routes that do not involve the M62. Just a suggestion.

As for fuel cards I always thought there was a fixed amount you paid for this benefit in kind based on engine size. Or it is/was with fuel card + company car. I do not have a fuel card so cannot be sure.
Hull to Stockport is west to east? You need one of those new fangled compass things!
Go to the top of the class.