Proton Persona Coupe - h/brake & caliper - Jonwm {P}
Thanks for all your help when i last asked about the brakes, since then drove it with the bonnet open so that took priority in the fixing stages.

Just taken the wheel off the back to look at this handbrake situation and why the right rear brake doesn't seem t work and when i spun the actual disc with no wheel or handbrake on it caught at about 2 places round the disc, making a metal on metal noise, it makes this noise when driving obviously, when the handbrake is on it doesn't stop the car but you can't spin the disc anymore with your hand.

Does this sound like a major problem or you think a local garage to remove calliper and fit new pads might sort the situation out, does the fact that it catches in 2 places mean the whole assembly might be damaged in some way, Accident??

Any help as always very much appreciated, if this does not cost too much im going to attempt and oil change myself!!

Jon

Typos tidied, researching the model of your car so subject line can be clarified - PU
Proton. Rear Brake Caliper and Handbrake - hm
john,

your problem does not sound to seriuos at all........what condition are the brake pads in....sounds like they might be shot.........

A simply pad change and some copper grease would probably do the trick (and may be a H.Brake Cable adjustment)

Oil change, very easy......do not fret.....

May I suggest if you have not already done so, you purchase a Haynes for your motor, they are well worth £15...
Proton. Rear Brake Caliper and Handbrake - Jonwm {P}
Hi

Thanks for that, I would love a haynes manual but my proton is the Persona Coupe, dont think there were many produced to be honest, cant find much info on the web about the car and had to drive to Sheffield to get some parts last week as no one in the midlands had anything for them or any cars (I'm talking breakers yards now not shops!)
The pads look ok the problem is the car has been stood for about 8 - 10 months until i drove it about 20 miles back to my house 3 weeks ago, all the other discs cleared themselves of rust and debris except the off side rear, and its this one thats making the noise.

Jon
Proton. Rear Brake Caliper and Handbrake - hm
sounds like the caliper is seized a little.......

you need to remove the pads and wind the caliper back in, then personally I would have someone slowly apply the brake and allow the caliper to come back out...then put her back again after a little TLC with Mr sand paper.........

I have complete taken the calipers out of car before now and given them a clean up with the dremel tool (mainly old landrovers etc) but I did do it for my wifes old A4 tdi....

If you are okay with the spanners it should not take too long to short...if you live anywhere near leicestshire then let me know...

Regards

H
Proton. Rear Brake Caliper and Handbrake - Aprilia
These are a collette type caliper with handbrake mechanism. I posted instruction before for you on how to service these. They often stick. You'll get pads from any motor factor.
Proton. Rear Brake Caliper and Handbrake - Jonwm {P}
Spot on, I really do appreciate your help, i'm a pretty much total novice, but learning fast and when i took the wheel off to try an remove the calliper i got a little paranoid about undoing the wrong bolt and all the fluid emptying over me!!

Going to have a look on saturday when i've a little more time and see if i can remove the calliper and wind back the piston with a "C" clamp, If i struggle i will take some dig pics and link to them and you may be able to tell me where i need to undo!!

Thanks again guys

Jon
Proton. Rear Brake Caliper and Handbrake - Aprilia
Caliper winds back clockwise. A dodge is to use a pair of long-nose pliers in the slots in the piston. I think I posted this info last time for you. Ideally you should open the bleed valve to let the fluid out.

If you don't feel confident then get someone else to do it who's got the experience.