Combo air bag/ "squib" question. - Rocket
Being mechanically illiterate I need to ask how to replace my squibb. Can I just replace the centre part in the middle of the steering wheel or do I need to replace the steering wheel aswell?

Many thanks.
R.
Combo air bag/squibb question. - RichardW
Squibb????
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Combo air bag/squibb question. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
When I was a wee bairn we sometimes called bangers 'squibs'. So perhaps it is the pyrotechnic inflation device for an airbag?
Highly dangerous to attempt DIY I'd have thought.
Combo air bag/squibb question. - Pugugly {P}
IIRC bell boy has some experience in this department. Pyrotechnic won't fit in the subject line !
Combo air bag/squibb question. - bell boy
never seperated a squib from the wheel seen people do it and have the thin wire go all over the shop mind-------
i would change as a job lot assuming its second hand and not new prices we are talking?
Combo air bag/squibb question. - rtj70
Even though the squib will not have a huge explosive power I do not think I'd be doing this. I don't know about airbags but a small explosive device just might injure me if it went off! Surely replace the airbag in one unit or even the wheel as bell boy suggests.

Don't want to be damp squib or anything ;-) But the military and special effects people are the sort who mess with squibs not DIY motorists.

Make you wonder how much explosive power is in the typical car with 7 airbags and seat belt pretensioners...
Combo air bag/squibb question. - topbloke
are you changing the air bag or what is referred to as the clock spring either way disconnect the battery leave for ten mins remove airbag remove clockspring reassemble is a simple reverse of this process, you will do very well to set an airbag off we tried very hard at work (we had to return an airbag under warranty and would not accept it unless deployed) ***** is it scary when it go's off , how ever that said do not reconnect battery with air bag removed, a it will record a code in the ecu, b it will cost you to remove said code, dealer only
Combo air bag/squibb question. - bell boy
the squib to me is the device that allows the steering wheel to turn while still connecting the airbag to the loom
preview.tinyurl.com/22jjbl
or
tinyurl.com/22jjbl

i assume if poster knows what a squib is then he would know the safety procedures
Combo air bag/squibb question. - Pugugly {P}
www.safetyforum.com/airbags/

Some more squiberry on here.
Combo air bag/squibb question. - Aprilia
Squib is the detonator (ignitor). Bell boy is on about the clock spring. I didn't think you could buy squibs seperately, only the complete airbag assembly. I suspect the post is a wind-up. If you are mechanically illiterate then you don't start messing with squibs!
Combo air bag/squibb question. - RichardW
"Squib is the detonator (ignitor). " You learn something everyday - one for the Scrabble banks me thinks :-))

"If you are mechanically illiterate then you don't start messing with squibs!"

If you are MI, it's unlikely you'd know what one is - and how would you know it was faulty? Presumably you can only tell they're no good when they don't work....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Combo air bag/squibb question. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The passenger side airbag on my Passat is obviously behind a dash-top panel.
But where might it be in SWMBO new Getz?
There is no visible place for it to appear from.
Combo air bag/squibb question. - bathtub tom
'But where might it be in SWMBO new Getz?'

You get hold of the biggest hammer you can find, and walk to the front of the car .........................

You'll find out where it is, but you may not like the result :>)
Combo air bag/squibb question. - normd2
aren't airbags always labeled then? I thought they had to be to avoid accidently obstructing them?