Calling all 4x4 Drivers - PhilW
Please, please will you go and have a drive round? I could do with a bit of global warming instead of this continuous rain and cold. Strange how in April the papers were full of "Global Warming" but have been very quiet since.
Interesting article in Telegraph today saying that car drivers are overtaxed because of this global warming lark, but can't find a link on the Telegraph site.
Perhaps the answer to global warming is to have a fortnightly Glastonbury alternating with fortnightly Wimbledon.

--
Phil
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Vin {P}
Ah, it's no longer "Global warming". You're so, like, yesterday.

It's now "Climate change". Haven't you noticed the change? It allows them (whoever "they" are) to claim any weather at all as a score draw. Seriously, note the change in phraseology; it's quite clearly deliberate.

V
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Pugugly {P}
I was thinking the very thing this morning as the Landie waded through a foot of water when I went to get some bread.
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - bell boy
wish i could see the landie
only watey round here :-(
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Stuartli
Have you noticed just how popular 4x4 owners have suddenly become in many parts of the country.......
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - local yokel
Part of the deal with climate change is that UK summers get warmer and wetter. We've got the second half of the deal, now where is the first half?

How many more cars were wrecked today by people who had a bad case of press-on-itis? Plenty if the news is anything to go by.
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Ruperts Trooper
The press call it global warming, the scientific name is climate change.

Average temperatures are rising and rainfall patterns are becoming extreme, alternating drought and torrential.

If you think climate change will give us better weather, forget it!
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - PhilW
"the scientific name is climate change.

Rubbish - we have heard nothing but "Global warming" for years - until it turns cold and wet, then it becomes "climate change"

"Average temperatures are rising and rainfall patterns are becoming extreme, alternating drought and torrential."

I noticed that - wettest and coldest May and June since 1861 - so what were they doing then that caused all the rain and cold? Oh yeah, burning coal, steam power etc.
I prefer to call it "typical British weather" - so typical that you can't predict it except for those who told us earlier in the year that this would be the "driest, hottest summer we have ever had and prepare for hosepipe bans throughout the country". On which basis I went out and bought 2 new water butts - which are now overflowing.
Anyway, to argue that it has now changed its name to "climate change" is just a way for all the charlatans in government to justify further taxation of "gas-guzzlers" - what happened to our drought stricken and hot summer "like Greece"?
By the way, I do not own a 4x4 or a gas guzzler - both household cars average over 45mpg and do about 12k a year each- and I have a compost bin , wormery, recycle bottles, paper, plastic and the rest - oh, and I'm just going to switch on the central heating.It's all pink fluffy dice and stop taxing "gas-guzzlers" on the basis of CO2 emissions - I WILL have Ferrari one day!

--
Phil
One vignette played out on what passes for a hill around here. Pouring down with rain, lot of surface water but no flooding, I'd been to the shops, on the way back there was tree down (more of a sapling really) across on carriageway, a couple of brave souls squeezed through, the ones coming the other way (where the tree was) had stopped and were basically just parked there. I was in my car by then as the mighty floodwaters had gone down somewhat. I was jiggered if I was going to scratch my paintwork - so I donned my artisan's yellow jacket and set to shifting the tree (hopeless task on my own) only then to be joined by other car occupants, presumably they were awaiting someone from Team Nanny UK to come along......people are so disengaged aren't they ?
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Aprilia
I think increasing number of storms and heavy rainfall is exactly what the climate change/gloabl warming 'model' predicts for the UK? 'Global Warming' doesn't mean everywhere gets warmer - I think some places actually get colder according to climate models.
I think we know that, but we still like to pretend it isn't happening and its in our blood to grumble about the weather......10.4 degrees this lunchtime when I ventured out. This time last year it was Phew what a Scorcher time....
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - NARU
I think some places actually get colder according to climate models.

Yep - mainly us if the gulf stream gets disrupted.
"I think increasing number of storms and heavy rainfall is exactly what the climate change/gloabl warming 'model' predicts for the UK? 'Global Warming' doesn't mean everywhere gets warmer - I think some places actually get colder according to climate models."

Last forecast for "climate change" I heard for the UK was drier summers, wetter winters. Hmm. The current weather is exactly what I remember from when I was a kid.

V
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Aprilia
so I donned my artisan's yellow jacket and set
to shifting the tree (hopeless task on my own) only then to be joined by
other car occupants presumably they were awaiting someone from Team Nanny UK to come along......people
are so disengaged aren't they ?

Maybe they were doing what I would do - sit there and wait for a 'guinea pig' to wade in and see how deep the water is? If it looks safe then I join in..LOL!
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - carl233
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? Whenever there is a government scandal or an MP has 'misbehaved' we generally always get a long report on climate change on the news. I am sure the danger is very real, but Liebor, sorry Labour seems to utilise this is a very convenient piece of spin to deflect problems away from themselves.

Calling all 4x4 Drivers - rtj70
"Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? Whenever there is a government scandal or an MP ...."

Week before good old GB takes the helm the well paid (£290k pa) head of the NHS IT project (Connecting for Health) resigns. Then Lord Goldsmith the Attourney General wants to quit too... Hmmm. But not motoring realated by my money on a big'ish NHS IT contract change... Well I can speculate...

As for climate change... anyone else see the channel 4 (?) programme on why it is a pile of *whatever*? I have a copy and because of what I think will send copies out if we circulate them. The "myth" program is at least worth seeing. Happy to send out at least 20 copies on DVD.

And why? If you believe this programme then there is a problem. It comes around in time but he bit that got me.... an example of looking for research moneys:

1. Reaearching squirrels or
2. Researching the effect of global warming on the mating habits of the squirrel

Might not be accurate version that as it might have been feeding. But bottom line is you could get money from 2. but not 1. So you cloud everything with global warning. Sad really.
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Baskerville
1. Reaearching squirrels or
2. Researching the effect of global warming on the mating habits of the squirrel
Might not be accurate version that as it might have been feeding. But bottom line
is you could get money from 2. but not 1. So you cloud everything with
global warning. Sad really.

I know a bit about research grants. The process of applying takes many months, panels of experts, referees, and a huge application portfolio, quite apart from the years of unfunded research that went before and contributes to the researcher's standing in the community. The vast majority of perfectly decent applications made by highly qualified and talented researchers are rejected simply because the competition is very, very fierce.

To pick up on your example, contrary to what the tabloid (in the widest sense) press would have you believe, you can't just write a note and say "Um, I fancy researching squirrels". You need to show what aspect of squirrels you are researching, how the outcome of the research will contribute to the specific field and to wider understanding, whether there is any likely practical application (not necessary, but they want to know), how long the research will take, what the research methods will be, and why you think your research is a reasonable use of public money, plus a whole lot of other things. It's not easy to get this research money.

And as for the charge that climate change is a boom industry, well, if something is not very well understood but appears to have catastrophic future consequences, don't you think we should pay our scientists to look into it? A lot of that research will lead up blind alleys. But maybe, just maybe, we'll learn something.
Probably Aprillia, I was cross by then wishing I'd gone in the Landie and cross at people's apathy. I wasn't wearing my dancing shoes either !
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Fullchat
Well what a day! Just got in from a 14hour shift. Called out of my shiny bottomed trainers office to assist with the floods here in East Yorkshire. We have had rain like I've never seen before in my life. Rivers running down roads, flooding and evacuations.
On mileage with my Kia Sorento and it did me proud! Worth all the extra tax I'm now paying.
The great British motoring public never ceases to amaze me. 4x4 drivers and bigger who think that they can drive through anything and not slowdown; oblivious to the consequences of the bow wave, and small car drivers with the same mentality who drowned out and had to abandon causing more congestion.
But overall the general public mucking in, wet through but with a sense of humour. I knew there was something rewarding about the job!
--
Fullchat
The pictures from Sheffield were pretty shocking - horrific one may suggest. Deep respect to Emergency Services in these situations. Hope all BR's are ok.
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - BobbyG
PU, what a change in a man. It seemed only yesterday that your posts were about legalities and your clients. We all vote for you to become the new mod and then overnight, you are donning the hi-vis jackets and single handedly trying to keep the roadways clear in torrential rain and floods!!

Hope you are not taking this moderator lark too seriously!!! :)

Calling all 4x4 Drivers - rtj70
A sad day so far. I find it surprising how many drove into and attempted exit through the high water. One on BBC News 24 earlier live as they were talking to the reporter - the driver stopped and eventually, and successfully, reversed.

Thoughts with familes of those lost today.
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Dalglish
fullchat says:
>>Well what a day!.... We have had rain like I've never seen before in my life.

the met office says:
.... wettest month of june recorded ....

whereas vin says:
Hmm. The current weather is exactly what I remember from when I was a kid.

it seems someone is living on a different planet which has escaped global warming and the consequent climate change.

p.s. apparently global warming effect on uk is forecast, on average, to make summers drier and winters wetter; but with tropical style rainstorms leading to frequent incidences of severe flash flooding.

Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Pica
According to someone I spoke to who works for Thames Water there will not be a hose pipe ban this year as they have so much water and they have nowhere else left to put it. Glad now I did not buy a water butt last year.
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Stuartli
The UK's warmest winter was back in 1869 - I wonder what caused that?

Watching Sky News this morning an Environment Agency representative stated that although flood defences were generally "fit for purpose", nobody would have been able to forecast "...100 metres of rainfall in such a short period of time..."

I rather think he meant 100mm.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Brian Tryzers
> The UK's warmest winter was back in 1869 - I wonder what caused that?

That's weather, Stuart. The scientists - and I mean proper ones { snipped unproven allegation - PU } - are talking about change in the climate. The oceans are getting warmer; that's the sort of change that takes effect over decades. More energy stored there means that atmospheric phenomena that arise from the oceans - like this week's rain, or Hurricane Katrina in 2005 - will be more energetic too. That's the worry - it won't be the same as before, just a bit warmer.
Disagree with your viewpoint = charlatan.

V

Well not that I agree but it was an allegation that is unproven so snipped it - PU
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - Brian Tryzers
Why?
Back on topic guys please - PU
Calling all 4x4 Drivers - moonshine

yes please - all 4x4 drivers please drive as much as possible. I like the fact you are paying lots of lovely tax pennies to GB, it means less for me to pay (or rather my tax doesn't increase as much).

How about a new hospital with the sign outside "sponsored by 4x4 drivers"..... Now that they are banning smoking someone has to pay for the NHS.

As for the global warming/climate change - that is so boring when someone says "ohhh look its cold today, therefore GW must be complete and utter..." A couple of cold or wet days are the not the black swan you are looking for (Karl Popper).

The consenus with the scientists is that GW/CC is happening. I can't see the problem with accepting it. Can we stop it? - yes we can. Will we stop it? - no we won't. Will we adapt to it? - I hope so.

Personally I think the UK should invest into research in related technologies - we have no industry left and all our jobs are going to India. Maybe we can keep our economy going by selling technolgy such as wind turbines or battery technology to the rest of the world.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6238654.stm

Some interesting pics in here especially the Defender driver. Defenders are the future in Waterworld !

--
PU without his Mod Hard Hat on !