Dual Mass Flywheel Problems - RAV 4 - chukter
I would appreciate if someone could tell me if DMF`s were introduced specifically to cope with the increased torque outputs of modern diesel engines, or are they also now fitted to petrol units.

I ask because I am considering buying a 2005/2006 (old model) 2.0 litre petrol RAV 4, and have been reading of problems that RAV`s have been experiencing with premature DMF failure. Hopefully if I opt for a petrol unit, they still use the traditional single mass flywheel, and there would be no problems.

It seems this problem is not unique to Toyota, as I was discussing this subject recently with a 2005 VW passat Tdi owner who had a DMF fail at only 7k miles. It was repaired under warranty, but then started causing further probs after only 2.5k miles. When he approached his VW dealer, even though the vehicle still had 12 months of its 3 year warranty, they didn`t want to know. Needless to say the car was sold & never to be replaced by another VAG vehicle.
Dual Mass Flywheel Problems - RAV 4 - Aprilia
DMF's are fitted mainly to Diesel engines in order to smooth out the torque spikes as the crankshaft rotates - the idea being to give less vibration.
They are seldom fitted to petrol engines, although I do know that they have been fitted to some petrol BMW's and also certain Subaru models (although I believe they have now abandoned them) - and possibly some other cars. You are correct that they can be very problematic - Subaru had problems with them on the Legacy and I think they were mostly swapped-out for normal flywheels.

I don't know about the RAV4 - your best bet would be to call either the Parts or Service dept of a Toyota dealer and ask the question.
Dual Mass Flywheel Problems - RAV 4 - Saltrampen
DMF's are fitted to Mk 3 petrol Mondeos.
A ford mechanic told me one of the problems was that they develop too much "play" - presumably through the bolt holes?
I presume dual mass means a thick bit, and a thin bit, going out from the centre? Or is it the other way round?